Feeling guilty...

Options
about taking a break.

I decided that a key piece of this for me was going to be quitting smoking. I really need to do that for my health (and my wallet!). Unfortunately, cutting down on nicotine has meant that I have lost my focus as far as losing weight is concerned.

I have decided to give myself a two week free pass to completely get rid of the cigarettes (cold turkey... which is scary!). My goal is to not gain during this time, but allow myself the TLC I will need to get through this change.

So far I have been able to cut down the amount I am smoking a day in half and plan to quit completely on Sunday.

In the end, I hope to have a stronger and healthier body, mind and soul. I also want extra money in my wallet to spend on new clothes!

Losing weight is still my number one priority and I don't want to veer too much off course, but right now it looks like trying to do both things at once is impossible. I'm also a little nervous about trying to push myself with cardio until my lungs adjust - had some terrible coughing attacks during past quit attempts. I know you will all still be here when my two weeks are up and I am ready to get back on here! I know I can make these big changes in my life, but they will have to be done one step at a time.

Replies

• DjBliss05
    Options
    about taking a break.

I decided that a key piece of this for me was going to be quitting smoking. I really need to do that for my health (and my wallet!). Unfortunately, cutting down on nicotine has meant that I have lost my focus as far as losing weight is concerned.

I have decided to give myself a two week free pass to completely get rid of the cigarettes (cold turkey... which is scary!). My goal is to not gain during this time, but allow myself the TLC I will need to get through this change.

So far I have been able to cut down the amount I am smoking a day in half and plan to quit completely on Sunday.

In the end, I hope to have a stronger and healthier body, mind and soul. I also want extra money in my wallet to spend on new clothes!

Losing weight is still my number one priority and I don't want to veer too much off course, but right now it looks like trying to do both things at once is impossible. I'm also a little nervous about trying to push myself with cardio until my lungs adjust - had some terrible coughing attacks during past quit attempts. I know you will all still be here when my two weeks are up and I am ready to get back on here! I know I can make these big changes in my life, but they will have to be done one step at a time.
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    I don't know if it helps, but I'm in nursing school, and I specifically asked one of my instructors once whether obesity or smoking was worse. He responded emphatically that smoking was worse. So I think you're making a good decision as far as that goes. Just don't give up on the weight. Give yourself that time, but come back! You can do it!!!
  • superkitty7
    Options
    I applaud you. Quitting smoking is one of the most difficult things to do. I used to smoke a lot and it took me about 3 tries to completely end it, but in the end I managed to do it cold turkey. You CAN do it. Don't beat yourself up if it takes you a few tries because you have to really want to stop in order to stop. After I quit smoking I felt so good I was able to start running more and more and it feels really good to be able to breathe in the morning w/o coughing or worrying about dying of emphysema. :) Congratulations on your decision. You can do it! :bigsmile:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Don't stress too much about gaining weight while you quit smoking. You know from experience that you can always lose it again. Kicking the nicotine habit is hard, I know because I smoke too. I would definitely sacrifice a few pounds to lose the smoking habit. I have been sick for the past week and because of that I haven't smoked. I'm not sure if my willpower will be strong enough to make this a lasting change once I feel better. Plus, I am on my honeymoon starting this weekend for 2 weeks. There will be unlimited booze which will make me want to smoke. There will also be unlimited food... oh well, you only get married once right?

Good luck on quitting smoking. :happy: If you have any tricks that work for you please share them!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Also, try to remember that there are things you can eat that are not a lot of cals, which will help curb the desire. Carrot sticks, and especially CELERY sticks (there's something in them, they say),

You can eat healthy and still quit. It just depends on maybe getting some HELP. If you have someone who can do some low-fat, low cal cooking for you, prepare things ahead of time, freeing up your time to focus for your committment to quitting, then you should not get too far off course!