SERIOUS CALORIE HELP

Options
Hey everyone. I have 3 weeks left until I go in for a huge hip surgery. Ill be out of commission for many months. I have some diet questions because I really want to try to burn as much fat as possible in these last few weeks.

As of right now I have my calorie goal set to 1500 calories. What SHOULD it be?
- 6 ft
- 187 lbs

I would also like some help with what, exactly, I should be eating. I know there are plenty of fat burning foods out there, I just don't know what they are.

Im using the KettleWorX program (Monday Wednesday Friday) and Elliptical (Tuesday Thursday) as my regimen. Im limited because of my hip and this is pushing it as it is, but im open to fitness suggstions as well.

Ill be honest, im looking for researched answers so if you have strong opinions thas fine, but tell your friends instead :p
(Yes I know I can research it on my own, which I am, but it helps having multiple people give their information.

Thanks!

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about how many calories you should be eating but 1500 seems too low to me for a 20yr old male, that if you have any activity at all should give you quite a big deficit, perhaps too big.

Another point you make is "fat burning foods". There's no such thing as fat burning foods, what you have are diets that will enable you to burn more calories from fat, if you restrict the intake of carbohydrates for instance your body during exercise will ask you for energy and will go into your fat reserves for that.

Have a look here: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Does-Your-Body-Burn-Fat?&id=476933

Good Luck with your surgery.
  • pp67
    pp67 Posts: 26
    Options
    Good luck with your operation and hope you have a speedy recovery. For your body to get the message to use up it's fat stores (while you sleep) you need to send it the message it's only going to use what it has in reserve, you need to create a calorie deficit. This is matching the amount of calories you eat with the amount of calories you have exercised. That's it! And so your body doesn't go and take it from your muscles first, aim for high protein foods in your eating plan. Weight Loss Surgery and Body Builders do this and both are very highly successful in stripping the fat and keeping the muscle. (body builders do a lot more muscle building for their competitions, and they do a lot more fat stripping too).

HTH, and again good luck with your op.