1/2 Marathon Training

Options
So I'm down to the wire and have 2 months until my 1st 1/2 marathon. Does anyone have any training tips/advice?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I'm training, too! Except for me, I have about 5 1/2 months. ;) I say alternate on days and don't do long and intense runs everyday. Also, don't run everyday! Maybe have a rest day filled with swimming and/or yoga.

GOOD LUCK! :D
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Do your peak run no closer than 3 weeks out from the half.

Then make sure one day a week you train hills, one day you do a short interval session and another day you aim for between 12-15km easy run. One week out only do maybe 20-30 min twice throughout the week at your race pace intensity and go for a short walk/stretch session the day before the race.

Then just enjoy :D Half marathons are fun!
  • Bexster88
    Options
    bump
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Ease into it. If you ramp up your distance or speed too quickly you WILL develop injuries. Follow a recommended training plan (Pat Carroll or Hal Higdon) but listen to your body. I just did my first half and in the process developed runners knee, achilles tendonitis and shin splints. If you start to feel pain, think about what you've changed recently and get professional advice.
  • QuestForFitness
    Options
    I'm 9 months away, let me know what you find out!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I'm training, too! Except for me, I have about 5 1/2 months. ;) I say alternate on days and don't do long and intense runs everyday. Also, don't run everyday! Maybe have a rest day filled with swimming and/or yoga.

GOOD LUCK! :D

Thanks. I run 4 days a week right now (Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun) I started my training in March only running on a tredmill and started outdoor running in June. I'm looking for what to eat before the race or on days I run so I have enough energy and general tips. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    Some training schedules are here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-6851-1-1X2X5X8-4,00.html

Don't panic, you've got enough time!!
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    Do your peak run no closer than 3 weeks out from the half.

Then make sure one day a week you train hills, one day you do a short interval session and another day you aim for between 12-15km easy run. One week out only do maybe 20-30 min twice throughout the week at your race pace intensity and go for a short walk/stretch session the day before the race.

Then just enjoy :D Half marathons are fun!

Thank you for your imput. It is noted! :)
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    Ease into it. If you ramp up your distance or speed too quickly you WILL develop injuries. Follow a recommended training plan (Pat Carroll or Hal Higdon) but listen to your body. I just did my first half and in the process developed runners knee, achilles tendonitis and shin splints. If you start to feel pain, think about what you've changed recently and get professional advice.

Thank you. I've been trying to find a training plan online.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Have a look at runner's world smart coach. That will create a training plan for you based on your distance and the time you have left.
    It's a pretty good tool.

http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    Some training schedules are here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-6851-1-1X2X5X8-4,00.html

Don't panic, you've got enough time!!

Thank you for this!
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    Have a look at runner's world smart coach. That will create a training plan for you based on your distance and the time you have left.
    It's a pretty good tool.

http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com

Thank you!