What to do with old, too big clothes?

basschick
basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
edited September 30 in Health and Weight Loss
Those of you that have reached your goal weight: What are you doing, or have you done, with your old clothes that are now too big? I have clothes ranging in sizes from 14 to 6. Do you give them away, have them altered, or keep them? Lots of friends and family are telling me I should keep them all, even the 14s, in case I gain all the weight back. Some say keep 1 or 2 sizes bigger than I currently wear. I don't sew and having clothes altered is expensive. I buy most of my clothes at Goodwill or consignment shops and I rarely pay more than $20.00 for an article of clothing so I'm not out much if I donate them or sell them to a consignment shop for a few dollars. The few more expensive items that I have bought new, I might have altered, but many times pants don't look right when they've been taken in several inches in the waist and hips. Any thoughts on this? It's a nice "problem" to have, I know.

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    I plan on bringing some of the newer stuff that is in good shape to a consignment shop. You don't make a lot but it is better then nothing!
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    donate all, think fit for life (F4L)
  • basschick
    donate all, think fit for life (F4L)

That's kind of my thinking too! I can't believe people are already sugggesting that I might gain all the weight back. I realize that I might not be my current size forever. I'm only 41, and maybe my waist will be a little bigger when I'm, say, in my 60s. But I don't plan on ever being overweight again.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Do NOT keep them! I don't think you should keep them 'in case' you gain, because I'm sure you are planning on never gaining back. Yard sale, donate, freecycle, craigs list. Congratulations!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    donate them! I had a garage sale and sold most of my clothes, dropped the rest off at a thrift store. Never going back!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    I donate all mine. I've had my fat clothes collection growing since I was a pre-teen. I have too many clothes, and none of them fit anymore. I just don't even want to see them anymore!
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    We always donate old/out grown clothing (outgrown from the kids !) to big brothers/big sisters. But no matter where you live, there are plenty of organizations that could use your donations :)
  • lizc_87
    lizc_87 Posts: 45
    I keep my fav. one the one w/ the most memories and make a pillow out of it. The rest I donate.
  • carlarikin
    carlarikin Posts: 51 Member
    Get rid of all of them! You won't need them anymore. :)
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    I donate mine to the same thrift shop that I've been buying all my 'one size smaller' stuff. I feel good when I do it, too, 'cause I always hope it helps someone doing the same thing!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Donate dont keep them
  • walking02
    walking02 Posts: 25 Member
    Make a quilt out of them and donate to the nursing homes in your area. I would keep one for my own bed just as a reminder of weight long gone. Or you could make tote bags and give them away as gifts.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    I gave most of mine away; had a few altered. Kept NONE.
  • I would say keep 1 or 2 pants that are maybe 1-2 sizes bigger. Not because you might gain weight back, but because sometimes that dang TOM just doesn't have any mercy and you still gotta work!

As for the rest? Consign, donate, or give to friends!
  • tamjjeb
    tamjjeb Posts: 2
    First of all congradulations on the weight lose.
    Why would you keep the cloths? Make this a lifestyle change don't plan on gaining the weight back.
  • basschick
    You've all given me some great ideas -- some that I never would have thought of. Thanks!
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    I echo- a quilt! What a reminder!

As for what to do; get rid of them! You're never going back. Fit for life. I would keep a size bigger for when your TOtM comes around just so you're more comfy, but other than that donate or trash or yardsale. :]
This discussion has been closed.