iced tea and coffee question

Options
djcon
djcon Posts: 216 Member
Is it ok to count iced tea and coffee as a portion of the 8 glasses of water...i know it says water but could other liquids count for some of that?

Replies

• chelseamarie31
    chelseamarie31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I count it toward my water count... I figure its water with just some flavoring and coloring added in, same goes for like crystal light and things like that.... that's my opinion any ways, any way you can get more water into your diet the better, even if it means adding some flavor here and there
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    I count it as both. I don't know if it's right, but tea has no calories not unless you use refined sugar. I normally use splenda.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't but that's because I drink a lot of water anyway.
  • jenmac82005
    Options
    i read that tea and coffee do count because they are primarily water. basically they are flavored water...but keep in mind if you are one that likes to add sugar, cream,milk to your coffee,or sugar to tea, that it will add calories to it, and if you are counting calories, then you are supposed to count these calories as well. I suggest Truvia as a sugar substitute, it's all natural, calorie free sweetener and dissolves in cold tea, unlike sugar which usually sits at the bottom!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Yes, they count.

Dont forget, fruits and veg also contribute to your daily fluid intake.
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanx everybody...I had been counting them all along but wasn't sure if they counted...now I know it is ok!
  • tjnd88
    tjnd88 Posts: 26
    Options
    Caffeine and Hydration

In addition to the positive effects of caffeine, such as enhancing alertness, many people worry that there are negative effects of drinking caffeinated beverages, such as contributing to dehydration. Fortunately, the research does not support that drinking moderate amounts of caffeinated beverages cause dehydration (5-10).

Researchers have conducted controlled human studies to examine how caffeine affects hydration under a variety of conditions. Under normal, “everyday” circumstances, caffeine does not cause more fluid to be lost from the body than the caffeinated beverage itself provides (7,8). Caffeine may cause a bit more fluid to be excreted (as urine) in the short term (24 hour period) when compared to plain water, but this effect is mild and is not documented to affect hydration status (7).

When used in people who are exercising regularly, even when exercising in hot, humid conditions, caffeinated beverages appear to provide plenty of fluid for rehydration and do not contribute to dehydration (5,6,9,10). This appears to be true for both non-exercisers and those who exercise regularly.