Peanut butter-healthy or not?

Options
is peanut butter good for u if so how much is a gd serving size? Or are there healthier put pastes out there??

Replies

• lovelyfacex3
    lovelyfacex3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just like most foods, its good in MODERATION. Peanut butter is pretty high in calories but it is made of a healthy fat. So enjoy it every once in a while but don't gob it on! I usually have a tablespoon of it every few days.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    I'll have PB&J for lunch at least twice a week.
    Pairing peanut butter with celery or apples is great for you. Yeah, it's a high calorie count, but that's because of all of those "good fats" that are packed inside. Peanuts are powerful little things :)
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i sure hope its healthy. PB is likely my favorite food. I wish it was easier to find w/o added sugar/corn syrup.
    Recently I say a soy based spread that is supposed to be "safe" for fake pb sandwiches in schools that don't allow pb due to allergies. I wonder what that is like? I do worry about my school going pb free. I usually have a jar of nuts in the drawer and pbj occasionally cuz I love it!

I'll check back on this one
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Healthy, but calorie dense.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    It's good for you. Actually, there are studies that show that people who are dieting and eat peanut butter lose weight at a better rate than those who abstain. It helps you feel full and it's sweet enough to feel like a treat to keep you satisfied in that department too. :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    i sure hope its healthy. PB is likely my favorite food. I wish it was easier to find w/o added sugar/corn syrup.
    Recently I say a soy based spread that is supposed to be "safe" for fake pb sandwiches in schools that don't allow pb due to allergies. I wonder what that is like? I do worry about my school going pb free. I usually have a jar of nuts in the drawer and pbj occasionally cuz I love it!

I'll check back on this one

Where are you? Sweetbay/Hannaford has a really good natural peanut butter with no sugar. It's called Nature's Place. Lower sodium than most, too.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I know not all peanut butters are created equal. They may have a lot of preservatives in it and stuff too reduce separation etc. some have added sugar etc.

I just bought a jar of "healthier" natural peanut butter because my parents tend to buy the less healthy kind, I just tried it tonight and only notice it has less sodium and sugar in it. If you like peanut butter (it's a favorite of mine) just be sure to compare and check the labels!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Natural nut butters are VERY good for you.
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2? Some people dont like it but I personally do. I like to use it for that peanut buttery taste when I dont want all the calories. Bell Plantation makes it, google it. It comes in a powder and you just ad water to make the creaminess. 2 TBS is 45 calories. I also like to add it to my shakes to give it a peanut butter flavor.
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    Smuckers natural peanut butter is the best! Peanuts are the only ingredient and it is yummy!
  • Schwiggity
    Options

:laugh:
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

This is true. I'm going to make some nut butter tonight. It's the best.
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I read all the "Eat This, Not That" books and as far as regular peanut butter goes, they say the Skippy Natural is the best. I would look for anything leaning towards all natural and less processed. Definitely want to stay away from the partially hydrogenated anything...

I usually have a whole wheat mini bagel toasted in the morning with a half serving of PB. So good & keeps me satiated.
  • Heather75
    Options

You love making nut butter! There have been several posts about it.
  • Schwiggity
    Options

Have you considered selling your nut butter at the local farmer's market?
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

I thought about selling it. It's a hot commodity. But rather I just donate it.
  • TooFit2Quit
    Options
    1-2 T of Better'n Peanut Butter makes me very happy :)
  • Heather75
    Options

Very charitable of you, but seriously, you should put in jars and sell it. Maybe make up some cute little labels with a bear on them or something.
  • BecomingMyself
    Options
    @stc74 You can buy organic peanut butter. It doesn't have any corn syrup or sugar. You can find it in health food stores as well as major grocery stores.
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options

Very charitable of you, but seriously, you should put in jars and sell it. Maybe make up some cute little labels with a bear on them or something.

Or maybe a squirrel.

they love nuts