This really takes the biscuit

Options
Once in a while, I treat myself to a McDonalds Big Breakfast (one little guilty pleasure ... keep it between us, please!) . At least, I think it's a Big Breakfast since I live in Beijing and all is not always as it seems. The oriental-style Big Breakfast comprises a spoonful of watery, hastily-prepared scrambled egg, a faux beef patty (mini-me version), and a completely hashed brown. On the side, is a slightly dusted (I hope it's flour dust and not radioactive isotopes floating in from Japan) mini-muffin and a sachet of strawberry jam.

Firstly, is this a McDonalds' Big Breaklfast (or, at least, a fair Chinese replica)?

Secondly, I have a concern about calorie-count. There's an entry for McDonalds Big Breakfast (no biscuit) in the database. What do Americans regard as a biscuit? Is that the mini-muffin? Or is it some other fatty delight that I'm missing out on?

Supplementary question, apropos of nothing: What do the British mean when they say "This takes the biscuit?"

Terence

Replies

• NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The way you described it... are you sure this is a 'treat?' I hate to see what you eat when you punish yourself! :laugh:
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Can you ask them for the nutritional info? Perhaps this might be one where you input the calories directly.

Sounds to me like you don't think much of this breakfast, maybe there's something else that you'd enjoy more that would be worth the calories you're spending?
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I believe you'll find your answer somewhere on here... http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/ But I know I can't read it. *shrug*

Er-here, rather. I cut the wrong one. lol http://www.mcdonalds.com.cn/
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What do Americans regard as a biscuit?

Same size, but twice as thick as what you would call a biscuit. Fluffy, but not sweet. Americans commonly split it in half and eat each half with butter and jelly, or split it and half and cover it with some kind of gravy. Either way is yummy. And either way is fattening.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    . On the side, is a slightly dusted (I hope it's flour dust and not radioactive isotopes floating in from Japan) mini-muffin and a sachet of strawberry jam.

Supplementary question, apropos of nothing: What do the British mean when they say "This takes the biscuit?"

The radioactive isotopes are called polenta in Australia - it's described as a 'polenta dusted English muffin'

And we Aussies say 'this takes the cake'. Which I prefer because it rhymes. It means that it's awesome. I don't know why.
  • adventuring
    Options

Terence

It means "This takes the cake" basically, or so I glean. Also, a British biscuit is an American cookie, in case you weren't familiar.
  • RedNeckGal1970
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what to call the "guilty pleasure" that they served you... but here in America we would call it, "my daughter is learning to cook, and I'm going to gag it down so I don't hurt her feelings" been there, done that! That's rough! I'm thinking maybe you should find another place to eat for a real "guilty pleasure". Better luck next time.

As far as that takes the biscuit... well... I had to look it up, I've wondered the same thing... but never cared enough to look into it. But you peaked my curiosity. Here's what I come up with:
    1) Well, that really takes the biscuit! = wins the prize; is the most interesting/shocking/admirable/best/worst example
    2) If something takes the biscuit, it is the absolute limit.

This idiom is British English British English
    Category: Food
    View examples in Google: Take the biscuit
  • terence
    terence Posts: 119
    Options

Same size, but twice as thick as what you would call a biscuit. Fluffy, but not sweet. Americans commonly split it in half and eat each half with butter and jelly, or split it and half and cover it with some kind of gravy. Either way is yummy. And either way is fattening.

Hmm ... now I'm confused. What I call a biscuit is definitely not fluffy, can't be split in half and is never covered in butter and jelly (jam?)

Our biscuit is your cookie. Your biscuit is our ... ?????
  • terence
    Options
    Can you ask them for the nutritional info?

I think the correct term I'm looking for is LOL. You haven't lived in China have you? :laugh:
    Good suggestion, but it won't fly here unfortunately.

Regards,
    Terence
  • kr3851
    Options

Hmm ... now I'm confused. What I call a biscuit is definitely not fluffy, can't be split in half and is never covered in butter and jelly (jam?)

Our biscuit is your cookie. Your biscuit is our ... ?????

Maybe it's a scone?
  • terence
    Options
    The way you described it... are you sure this is a 'treat?' I hate to see what you eat when you punish yourself! :laugh:

Good point. I think I need to visit my analyst again.

:frown:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    This is a typical McDonald's Big Breakfast: The biscuit is about 4 inches across.
    101109-mcds-breakfast.jpg
  • terence
    Options
    The radioactive isotopes are called polenta in Australia - it's described as a 'polenta dusted English muffin'

Fair dinkum? Trust a sheila from straya to know that, hey? Blimey, I feel like a complete drongo now.

And we Aussies say 'this takes the cake'. Which I prefer because it rhymes. It means that it's awesome. I don't know why.

Cripes. I thought it wuz somethink complicated. I'm such a dag!

:devil:
  • terence
    Options
    Thanks. The consensus seems to be that I need to find a different guilty pleasure.
  • terence
    Options
    YIKES!!!! THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M EATING!!!!!! :sick:

If that's what a Big Breakfast is and amounts to 380 calories, I'm penalising myself. What I'm eating is no way as super-calorific as that lot.

Oooooohhhh ... take it away ... take it away NOW.

:noway:
  • terence
    Options
    Yes ... I agree. it's time to find other guilty pleasures with health benefits.
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    That big breakfast look SOOO delicious! But isn't that like 1000+ calories? My mom was talking about the calories in it just yesterday :)
  • terence
    Options
    Is the biscuit the pancake in that pic?
  • kr3851
    Options

The pancake is a pancake. I think the biscuit is the roll.
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    no, it's the fluffy thing right by the coffee cup