Does this sound legit?

Options
AmberElaine84
AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
For weeks I've been checking the Help Wanted ads in the paper, and yesterday I came across an ad saying that you can make $12-$13 an hour depending on experience for a medical office doing billing. So I called the toll free number and the recording said that it was an in-home setting, you get paid between $4-$7 each claim you do. They supply the doctors, customer service. BUT, you need to buy your own software for the computer, which is $199. You have 90 days to try it out, if you don't like it or can't get the work done, you send it back for a refund.

My husband and I are very careful about scams and such, but this sounds like the real deal. I'm not looking to make a living, just a little bit of side money after my hubby pays the bills every week! Anyway, just thought I'd ask if any of you had heard of this type of thing.

Replies

• AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    For weeks I've been checking the Help Wanted ads in the paper, and yesterday I came across an ad saying that you can make $12-$13 an hour depending on experience for a medical office doing billing. So I called the toll free number and the recording said that it was an in-home setting, you get paid between $4-$7 each claim you do. They supply the doctors, customer service. BUT, you need to buy your own software for the computer, which is $199. You have 90 days to try it out, if you don't like it or can't get the work done, you send it back for a refund.

My husband and I are very careful about scams and such, but this sounds like the real deal. I'm not looking to make a living, just a little bit of side money after my hubby pays the bills every week! Anyway, just thought I'd ask if any of you had heard of this type of thing.
  • gschwsh
    Options
    allsw I can say is Don't do it!! Why should you have to pay anything to get a job? But If you are still interested check them out on the Better business burea.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

hm.....only my opinion here...but sounds like they are in the software selling business........ yea, I am always very skeptical too.......could be on the up and up but after you decide you're done doing work for them at some point....what will you need there software for?

Besides...I think I'd be leery to stick software on my computer that wasn't anything I knew about....could open up a world of problems for you, your wallett and your compter's vulnerabilty.

I say ....go with your gut. :huh: :drinker:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If medical billing sounds like something you're interested in, perhaps contact your local hospital so they could refer you to a reputable office?
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't do it, it is probably a scam and that you don't want to get into that. If you are interested in a billing position call your local medical offices and see if they can refer you to a place that would help you out.

Yeah don't waste your money on that.

Good Luck!!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound legit to me. ad says 1 thing, they say another thing of the phone. Just don't do it.
  • WShope
    WShope Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would do it either. I do medical billing for a cardiologist office. I have to come into work at the heart center where the office is located. I could work from home if I really wanted to, but they would pay for the expense of the software that we already use here in the office. I'm the type of person that has to get up get a shower , and get in my car and go to a location. I think working at home would make me more of a hermit than I already am. :smile:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I was browsing around before getting on here and happened to notice this about online scams. Hope this helps somewhat.

"Find out if there is really a market for your work. Claims that there are customers for work such as medical billing and craft making may not be true. If the company says it has customers waiting, ask who they are and contact them to confirm. You can also ask likely customers in your area (such as doctors for medical billing services) if they actually employ people to do that work from home. "
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a scam to me.
    I'm a little distrusting of the world.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I agree sounds like a scam. There is no easy way out hard work and an education get you money like that. Its almost like that scientology, you pay to learn the religion....I do not mean that as a religious slam or discussion its just along the same lines
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    :wink: Yep, it's a scam ( my opinion) Looks like the Dr. Office would provide the needed software if they were really needing the help! Don't be suckered in by those "too good to be true" ads!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I would say it's a scam too, I mean if you're wanting this job for some extra cash, just think how much you would have to work at first just to get out of the hole of paying for the software before you can even make the extra cash. Pretty much anything that makes you pay money to get money is a scam of some sort.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    Too legit
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Too Quit
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    2008 was a great year
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Stahhhhhhppppp
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    As rules of thumb:
    - If it sounds too good to be true, it scarcely is.
    - If a job requires a financial investment of the candidate the main purpose is not to get new employees, but customers.
    - Jobs that offer lots of money for "almost no work at all" can easily ruin you.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Yeah sure, you can try to get the refund back, but my guess is that in 90 day when you try to return it the phone number doesn't work and the business is gone, along with yours and anyone else's $$$
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Yeah sure, you can try to get the refund back, but my guess is that in 90 day when you try to return it the phone number doesn't work and the business is gone, along with yours and anyone else's $$$

She's never getting her money back now...

Oh come on, I bet they have a 9 year guarantee!
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Nope,
    when trying to get a refund they will charge you another hilarious amount for calling the chargeable support hotline. Then they will (probably) go "Out Of Business" ... Or try to make some additional money because you haven't fulfilled one of the more obscure obligations of the contract (usually somewhere in the fineprint area).