Calories left to use

Options
Hi all

I'm consistently finding that I have calories left to 'use' at the end of the day - and I feel I eat a fair amount through the day as in my diary... any ideas anyone?

I exercise most days - my original MFP target is 1200 but with exercise this bumps up yet I NEVER seem to reach my net, despite breaking meals down into 6 per day.

Help! :(

Replies

• editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Myself never at my exercise calories and I'm not saying that neither should you, but if you feel good within you target calories then don't eat your exercise calories and you will get to your goal quicker or get ripped faster :-) Is working for me :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Why are you worrying? If you are not losing weight too quickly and not feeling faint, don't panic. This 1200 calls to live is just a myth anyway. We are all different, the computer calculation is not an exact science. Respond to your own body. MFP also massively over estimates calls burned through exercise anyway so I really would not worry.
  • ashcroft37
    ashcroft37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I never hit my 1200, but I dont worry about it
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I just posted on this topic yesterday - I am a shocking eater - not a bad eater - but I eat such tiny amounts before being full to the brim - and I am fussy and a vegetarian and the list goes on.

Some of the things people suggested to me was adding olive oil to everything (ick for me) - having peanut butter on a spoon (ok if you can get the ones that are decent without the horrible taste to them) - eating some nuts etc - not exercising over 500 calories worth and eating avocado. I had 1200 calories left yesterday after dinner - it tells me off most days - so I was worried about that - and I KNOW my excess weight must be to do with 'starvation mode' - anyways - I am losing now - and I think it is just because I am making a bit of an effort to get as close as I can to proper calories per day.

Good luck
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 288
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and there is barely any fruit and veg in it, maybe you should eat more fruit and veg and this would bump you up
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I'm consistently finding that I have calories left to 'use' at the end of the day - and I feel I eat a fair amount through the day as in my diary... any ideas anyone?

When this happens, I eat a tin of tuna or take a protein shake (or two) if I feel like it...
    It has not happened to me in a looooong time though (these days I will have a croissant instead ;-) ).
  • kimsue123
    kimsue123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Most people greatly underestimate their intake of calories so in reality you are probably getting more calories than what you think so you will be ok.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Cool :) Usually there are HEAPS of fruit and veggies in my diary (if you see previous weeks) - it's just weds here and I'm desperate for shopping! Not had time so 'using up' things haha.

Yeah I just didn't want to go into any form of starvation mode... although I'm still dubious to whether or not that exists! :s
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You say you're having 6 meals per day, but you actually seem to be having one or two meals and a few snacks. I don't think a couple of rice cakes and peanut butter, 2 tangerines, or a protein shake, can really count as a meal.

Also, the meals you are having don't have much to them. For example an apple and a yoghurt is not really what I would class as a good breakfast as there are not many calories in it - breakfast should give you energy to start the day.

You seem to be mostly "grazing" on healthy snacks throughout the day rather than having real meals, which is why I think you are always under your calories. I've heard that grazing is good for keeping your energy levels stable and there are benefits to it but you need to eat some higher calorie meals sometimes as well. Most of my meals have at least 350-400 calories.