Husband doesn't like fruits and veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    i use to say id never eat, touch fruit, vegetables, water the lot now i lvoe most of them.
    My otherhalf isn veg eater but has no option at times, ive made him some veg curries that said enjoy.
  • cherrycake26
    Options
    I think disguise is your best option, I grate veg into a spag bol, love to cook it long and slow, makes fab sauce with minimal meat content, low low low on cals. Served with baked potato can be a man meal. Agree with others soups are good too. Roasted mediterranean veg roasted with a spray of oil is good in soup, flavour really full. have used same soupy mixture to casserole chicken in, served with basmati and wild rice was yummy.

Good luck in your efforts with him x
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You could try making soup and adding to sauces but how about a smoothie.
    The magic bullet has some recipes that you can put fruits and veggies in there and
    can't taste the veggies. Good Luck.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Look for recipes that disguise them. I have started putting Zuccini in my spaghetti sauce, suddenly, my husband realizes he likes zuccini. Next I'm trying to see how he likes mashed cauliflower....I also have found that if I steam the crap out of them then he goes for it, but each time I cook them a little less. I know steaming them takes the nutrients out, but if you then throw the water into a pot for rice, you get the nutrients back because it goes into the rice.

I honestly never thought of re-using the water from steamed veggies for rice!! That's an awesome idea...I'm gonna try that next time I make veggies and rice. :smile:

I agree with everyone who basically said "man up or shut up." Your husband is an adult...if he doesn't like what you cook and eat, then let him know that he's more than welcome to cook or go out and get his own food. There is absolutely NO reason whatsoever that you can't stick to whatever regimen you've started for yourself, all because someone else doesn't like it. Once he knows this (he knows it now, but it apparently hasn't sunken in yet :tongue: ), I predict that your eating habits will wear off on him, and he'll even want to try new foods with you. That's what happened with my boyfriend...he hated morningstar farms veggie products, which I started eating about a month ago, and now he loves the "veggie corndogs" and even eats the "veggie chicken sandwiches" with me. When we first moved in together, he flat-out said "I hate vegetables, and I won't eat them." Now he's bringing veggies home with him from work, and we eat them all the time. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    Your husband and mine should hang out!!! LOL. My husband is a very picky eater. He likes potatos of ANY kind, corn, fried zuchinni, raw spinach and broccoli if it's covered in cheese or buttered. As for fruit, he likes apples and grapes...that's pretty much it. He hates the texture of a lot of things. He was also a soda freak but, I got him out of that for the most part. You really have to disguise it or put it into something else so he doesn't notice it. I have been wanting to try mashed cauliflower.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My dad hates fruit and has refused to eat it his whole life but was ordered on a diet by his doctor about a month ago. My stepmom told me she's had success getting him to eat fruit by adding to things he already likes, in small portions of course so its not overpowering. What he told me he didn't like about it was certain textures so for him its been about finding things that don't offend him that way, not the tastes. Basically he only likes fruits without seeds in them that have a relatively smooth texture. If you can figure out what it is that your husband really doesn't like about fruits and veggies you can probably find some good healthy foods that he will eat.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Try baked sweet potatoes, or sweet potato fries. They are yummy and full of vitamins, and most people like the taste. I use an Alton Brown meatloaf recipe that is delicious and has pureed vegetables (peppers, onions, carrots) in it. You could add mushrooms as well, just puree them.

I find it hard to believe that there is nothing in the entire spectrum of fruits and vegetables that tastes good to him. It's mostly an attitude thing. So hide veggies in other things like you would for a fussy kid, or talk to him about your concerns for his health. He will either decide he wants to do it, or not. You can't make him give foods an honest try if he has already decided that all healthy food tastes bad.
  • VeggieMamaChristi
    VeggieMamaChristi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use my food processor and shred up carrots, celery, onion, squash, zucchini, cabbage and whatever odd and end veggies we have around. I then toss this shred into EVERYTHING. A cup or two into any soup, chili, meatloaf (granted ours is made from soy), spaghetti sauce. I have found that the texture issue doesn't come into play when everything is shredded because shreds are too small to encounter the texture.

Spinach (frozen) is the only veggie I haven't been able to disguise much but that is due to the flavor not the texture. I have found that fresh spinach doesn't have the same flavor and can easily be added to soups, chilis and other foods.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    there's a book, I can't remember what it's called off the bat but do a little more research on it, it's basically about how to trick your kids into eating veggies buy hiding them so that you can't see them in the recipes. As far as fruit, I find that as long as you cut it people are more likely to eat it. If you pre cut put a little lemon on it to keep it from browning, or you can pick up an acid preserve to sprinkle on (in with the spices).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I have found that fresh spinach doesn't have the same flavor and can easily be added to soups, chilis and other foods.

I do this, we go through tons of fresh spinach. I don't like it raw, but I throw a little into everything I make, it wilts down very nicely.
  • lexy3587
    lexy3587 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, to be honest, so sorry if this is a repeat. Non-veggie-lovers will generally eat the veggies when they've got cheese on them! You can make chicken and veggie casseroles, or serve cauliflower with a light cheese sauce (if you make a roux with cheese in it, you can also use whole wheat flour). Better to be getting the veg with cheese and such than entirely going without vegetables.
    also, you guys could test whether playing around with fresh vs canned vs frozen makes a difference, and, with fresh vegetables, whether he prefers cooked vs raw.
    But I also agree with other commenters - your husband needs to be the one finding vegetables to try - this isn't your job. If you become the 'mom' going out and buying all sorts of vegetables to try to force-feed him, neither of you will be happy, and no veg will be eaten.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    How about looking in your area to see if they offer any healthy cooking classes. This would be a fun thing to do together and he may be more apt to try different things in that setting. This may be an encouraging way to get him on the road to healthy eating.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My attitude is, if he's that picky, he can make his own meals. My husband is always telling me, "As long as I didn't have to cook it. I have no right to complain." Good husband.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Lately he has expressed the desire to lose weight, but what diet changes can I make for him?

YOU can't, sweetheart. He's got to make the diet changes. Maybe suggest he juice to get some fruit/veggies in. But he's got to decide he's going to nom on carrots, you can't decide that for him.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    How about telling him to man up and either eat up or shut up?

He is old enough now to cook for himself if he doesn't like what you make.

Let me speak as a life long veggie hater trying to do better. The advice quoted here is guaranteed to drive him in the opposite direction from what you desire. If my wife uttered such words to me I can tell you that I do know how to cook and I'll gladly do so for the rest of my life! It would take some time to mend the fallout of such a callous remark. But why be so confrontational with remarks sure to create resentment and hard feelings? There are helpful suggestions posted here; I am personally intrigued by the one recommending the book of recipes with veggies mixed in. Healthy cooking classes might be fun. And I have grown to love vegetable soup. But folks, if you want to help someone, ultimatums, intimidation, and cutting remarks are not the way to do it! My wife and I have dedicated ourselves to not using such tactics and I can tell you life is much better with tender care than with bullying.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but hubby doesnt need to lose weight. Basically we've agreed that I'll make my "fancy" dinners 3 times a week and he will fend for himself and make his own dinner. That doesnt really happen but I usually make him dinner along the lines of what i'm having with the kids. Like if i'm making chicken i'll make a separate one for him and make him a baked potato or whatever. If i'm making spaghetti then he'll have regular noodles and I'll have wheat. It's not the best solution but he wont eat better and i cant and wont make him.

wow, you're more loving than me (and we've only been married a month LOL) My husband has realized that he can either eat what I cook or fend for himself. Once or twice a week I make something that's a little less healthy than I normally eat and suits his tastes.

Oh and as far as the salt goes, I got my hubby using hot sauce now rather than salt. Still sodium but not as much

lol I'm a stay at home mom. As I see it it's my job to take care of my family. We've been together for almost 10 years and i'm not going to change him if he doesn't want to. But i'm not gonna let that stop me from doing what I need to do. He's very loving and encouraging of my journey. I don't tell him what to do and he doesnt tell me. We work together and compromise. He has ventured into more veggies so at least he's trying. Oh and he doesnt fall for "hidden" veggies lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When people say they don't like any fruits or veggies, I think it has to be psychological. There are such a variety of flavors and textures that it would really be next to impossible not to like any of them. Does your husband have a general unwillingness to try new foods?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Let him worry about his own diet. Keep doing your thing.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    You can't change for him, he can decide to try to like them... or not.
    exactly!!! If he wants it bad enough he'll change his ways, you do your thing and let him do his!
  • JenRedesigned
    JenRedesigned Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice :) I am definitely going to look into some of the awesome suggestions you all have made!
    We actually had a conversation today concerning this topic and I basically told him that I want HIM to Want to eat healthier, and that I wasn't going to badger him about it, but I'm not going to stop "encouraging" trying new things.
    We are 30 years old and starting to realize that yes, we are getting a little older and we need to start taking care of ourselves. We are watching as our parent's lifestyle mistakes are playing out in their older years, and I care for my husband enough to take the time to lovingly encourage healthier habits in his life.
    I think it may be the easy route to say just let him fend for himself if he doesn't like my healthy meals. Our marriage doesn't work like that... but that's a whole different issue :)
    I am at the point where the state of my health has scared some sense into me and I hope that he gets there too.