Lean Ground Beef Suggestions?

Options
I'm trying to use up stuff we have in the freezer and set out a pack of ground beef this morning for tonights dinner. Any suggestions on a low fat dinner? I'll be feeding myself, my husband and two kids. Thanks!

Replies

• schroje83
    schroje83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps. I just brown the meat with onions, mushrooms, and garlic, then wrap in lettuce leaves. Maybe even add in some soy sauce?
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    chilli and rice :) my favourite!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    i like to make casserols with ground beef. i use a 1/2 pound per casserol and use veggies to fill in the rest, so you can make 2 and freeze one. i do 1 package whole grain pasta, 1 jar pasta sauce, 2 cups lf shredded mozzarella, a package frozen mixed veggies, and 1/2 pound ground beef. its cheep and will feed your family with left overs! you can serve it with a side salad or even garlic bread if you want.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps. I just brown the meat with onions, mushrooms, and garlic, then wrap in lettuce leaves. Maybe even add in some soy sauce?

that sounds REALLY good! Thanks for the share! I did whole wheat hamburger helper last night, because we had it and I needed quick. Even with the whole wheat and lean beef, the calories were still outrageous. I was shocked.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

This. I've done this before but without the mushrooms. I fry the mince with garlic and onions and then season with homemade taco seasoning. And I serve in lettuce leaves topped with homemade salsa (made with tinned tomatoes, dried chilli flakes and yellow and green peppers).

Sometimes I'll brown the mince with taco seasoning and served on a jacket potato too :-)
  • ggtischer
    ggtischer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A trick my family has found to decrease the fat is to drain the browned beef through thick paper towels and a colander. I was surprised at how much fat we're able to pull from the browned beef.
  • mommymeyersto2
    mommymeyersto2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually put my cooked lean ground beef in the strainer and rinse away any fat I can! Last night I did sloppy joes for my family, kept out part of the meat and made myself a low cal "taco salad".
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Meatball subs, spagetti with meat sauce, tacos, taco salad, Mac n cheese w/ ground beef, hamburgers, hamburger steaks, salisbury steak, meatloaf, lasagna, chili, mini meatballs with quinua (sp??), mini-personalized meatloafs, stuffed bell peppers, stur fry w/ veggies over brown rice .... I've got tons!!
    If you need tips on how to make any of these, or how to make them healthy feel free to ask!! :)
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Lean ground beef is a great choice for tacos!

My husband and I make our own taco seasoning mix (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/taco-seasoning-i/detail.aspx is a good base) and there are some Old El Paso hard taco shells we use at 50cal each. Add the seasoning as you're browning the meat in a skillet (I start with about 1TBSP and see how that goes).

I also use it in meatloaf. I saute finely chopped onions and garlic and then let them cool. Then I mix them in with the rest of the meatloaf ingredients. Cooking the onions beforehand is key because it helps add a little moisture and you don't have to overcook the meatloaf just so the onions aren't raw.
  • KaraAnneMcD
    KaraAnneMcD Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lean ground beef is a great choice for tacos!

My husband and I make our own taco seasoning mix (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/taco-seasoning-i/detail.aspx is a good base) and there are some Old El Paso hard taco shells we use at 50cal each. Add the seasoning as you're browning the meat in a skillet (I start with about 1TBSP and see how that goes).

This is perfect! I wanted to make tacos tonight but didn't have any packets of taco seasoning left!
  • meredithgainey
    meredithgainey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump