Coffee Question

Options
A little background. Our 3 month old (just turned yesterday) falls asleep at 1:30 AM and doesn't wake until 10 or 11 AM. YIPPEE for long sleeping, but my 3 year old gets up at 7 OH NO *Grin*:noway:

I am currently working on changing Lizzy's bedtime and got her to sleep at 1 am this morning. JJ was up at 7 and has been going going going. Mama on the other hand is DRAGGING. :yawn:

Was thinking of drinking some coffee but don't want to become dehydrated. We are in the middle of record breaking heat and with the working out I am doing I am concerned that I will dehydrate.

Any thoughts? Are my concerns warranted or is it game on for the coffee?:drinker:

Thank you!

Replies

• Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would just limit the coffee and drink plenty of other fluids. It's hot here, but I still have my caffeine. I limit myself to one diet dr. pepper can a day. Better than dragging all day long!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    As long as you make sure you get enough water, coffee shouldnt be a problem?
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I agree, if you drink plenty of water during the day, coffee won't dehydrate you. It just can't be the ONLY thing you drink. I myself have a pot a day lol!
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been drinking decaf after a detox i could believe the symptons i got during the detox basically a permenant headache for 4 days. Also tried the nice twinings fruits teas which are lovely and refreshing strawberry and loganberry is my fav.

Still have my odd skinny cappuccino from starbucks but its now a treat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Coffee does NOT dehydrate you. That is a common food myth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5281046.stm

"Studies on caffeine have found very high doses dehydrate and everyone assumes that caffeine-containing beverages dehydrate. But even if you had a really, really strong cup of tea or coffee, which is quite hard to make, you would still have a net gain of fluid. "
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Drinks lots of water!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    As long as you make sure you get enough water, coffee shouldnt be a problem?

Do this
  • hannahcf
    hannahcf Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and I survive on coffee! I know it's not ideal, but it gets me through the day. I make sure I drink plenty of water as well though, and don't have coffee (except decaff) in the evening. If you can gradually get your little one to go to sleep earlier, by 20-30 mins at a time, that will help obviously, but 3 months is early days so I'd say follow her lead but with a gentle nudge in the direction you want her to go, that is all you can do. I'm not a fan of sleep training babies, just makes them sad I think, and happy baby = happy (if tired) mummy! Good luck x
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm in Tulsa, we are having the hottest summer on record. I drink 2 cups every morning along with lots of water through the day. No problems!
  • VeggieMamaChristi
    VeggieMamaChristi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! You all are so fast! Thank you so much! Somehow seeing so many responses just gave me a boost of energy! I guess I feel less alone! Sometimes being a SAHM makes me feel like it is Me vs The World but this site has been showing me that there are so many of us dealing with the same things - being tired, raising family, changing our habits.

THANK YOU!! and I am going to make some coffee now *Grin*
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I take PWO supplements that have huge doses of caffeine, but I drink about 128 oz of water a day to compensate. I also drink a couple of cups of coffee throughout the day. I wouldn't worry about a few cups of coffee, just include 1 cup of water for every cup of coffee. More water can't possibly hurt!

(Before someone jumps in to correct me; Yes, I know it is possible to die from too much water, hyper-hydration, under an exact rare set of circumstances due to electrolyte depletion.)
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options

"Studies on caffeine have found very high doses dehydrate and everyone assumes that caffeine-containing beverages dehydrate. But even if you had a really, really strong cup of tea or coffee, which is quite hard to make, you would still have a net gain of fluid. "

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine only has a diuretic effect if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (or 4 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.
  • Bodhizephyr
    Options
    The coffee dehydration thing - its a bit of a urban myth. Obviously everyone is different but as I understand it, yes coffee is a diuretic but not to the extent that you'll start dehydrating if you have a cup!

Caffeine also can supress your appetite :-)

Its been suggested that regular fresh coffee drinkers are at lower risk of developing cognitive brain disorders in old age as they think it prevent plaques forming.

Coffe is a natural remedy for asthma - since I became a regular drinker of fresh coffee (instant just does not count - it hardly tastes like the real thing anyway!) i hardly suffer at all.

I drink 1 cup of fresh brewed everyday.
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after
    drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine only has a diuretic effect if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (or 4 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.

I guess I should add that that was a quote from a study- I drink a couple cups of coffee a day and enjoy it with no I'll effects. Most research collaborates that all things considered low doses are fine and may even have some benefits...