Recipes w/Minimal ingrediants?

Options
Hi Everyone ! :) Like a lot of people, I have minimal hours in my day to set aside for cooking up something healthy and delicious at the same time, everything I make usually ends up sub-par. Does anyone have some excellent recipes that require minimal ingredients? I'd love to be able to cook the extravagant stuff every single day but it is a little unrealistic during the week. Maybe something under 5 ingredients total? I am open minded and am excited to see what everyone knows of! Oh, and Crockpot recipes with few ingredients are ever more preferable! :D Thanks!!!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Quick Lemon Chicken (serves 4)

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
    2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
    1/2 cup onion, chopped (optional)
    1 carrot, grated (optional)
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
    2 cups quick-cooking white rice

Quick Lemon Chicken/ -
    ~Boil rice in chicken broth
    ~Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink and the juices run clear.
    ~During the last few minutes of cooking, add the garlic and onion. 2. When the chicken is done, stir in the carrot, lemon juice, broth, and rice. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before

Taco Chicken-- I also use this same recipe and mix in taco seasoning at the end instead of lemon juice, and frozen peas instead of sliced carrots to make taco chicken bowls
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I made Honey Chicken Stir Fry last night I found in a thread on here. It was excellent and only took about 30 minutes to make. Chicken, Stir Fry Vegetable blend, Olive Oil, Honey, Garlic, and Low Sodium Soy sauce are the only ingredients (well besides rice if you serve it with rice - I did)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/287083-honey-chicken-stir-fry
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Salsa Chicken

*4 Frozen Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
    *1 Jar of your favorite Salsa
    *1-2 Cups of Black Beans or 1 Can (rinse if you want to eliminate extra sodium)

-Cook in Crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. Serve over white rice or spanish rice for extra flavor.

It's so easy, but the chicken has a delicious flavor.

***If you have leftover chicken or want to make extra, double the recipe and use for Chicken Fajitas!
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my family's favorites! Its so easy, just make sure to use the low fat/low sodium options and its pretty good for you too!

Jalapeno Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker

--3 lb chuck roast (frozen solid is fine)
    --can of cream of soup (or homemade, or you can make it on the stove)
    --1 can of water
    --2-4 T of sliced jalapeno peppers (a can or two of green chilies would work. We had the jalapenos on hand)
    --can of black beans, drained and rinsed
    --1 yellow onion, sliced in rings
    --1-2 cups plain non fat yogurt (to add at the end of cooking--you can use sour cream, too)

The Directions.

Dump everything into the crockpot. I used frozen homemade cream of mushroom soup---it took about 40 minutes for it to melt all the way and coat the meat.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

After cooking, remove meat with tongs, and stir in the yogurt or sour cream.

It's up to you how spicy you'd like this meal to be. I used 4 T (1/4 cup) of the sliced jalapenos, and then used 2 cups of plain yogurt to mellow the flavor. I liked it like that, and so did my family. There was definitely a kick, but it wasn't too crazy.

If you're worried about the heat, stick with 2 T of the sliced jalapenos, and then slowly add the yogurt at the end to taste.
  • allycaturban
    Options
    I make a veggie soup in the crock pot - veggie broth (tetra pack) and cut up some veggies ( carrots, celery, cabbage, peppers etc) add a can of beans or chick peas and a can of diced tomatoes salt & pepper. You can also add some noddles and pieces of chicken too. It cooks up in the crock pot an i keep in the fridge and there is soup to eat for few days and it has very few calories (especially if you don't add chicken or noodles :)
    Also, I premake a garden salad and keep it in the fridge so I can add salad with every meal without spending the time to cut and make one each meal. Add chicken, egg, or nuts for your protein
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options
    I think if you go to the Food Network website there's a lady who makes 5-ingredient recipes and that's the whole of her show. Might be worth a look.
  • mbrown82314
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate the feedback and will have to try all of these, very excited!

And regarding the girl on the Food Network, she does have quite a few 5-ingredient meals, however, I've noticed the things she includes in them are not the healthiest. :(