What do you make when you don't want to cook?

tristahenry
tristahenry Posts: 175
edited 5:40PM in Recipes
With the ridiculous heat and crazy schedule, I find myself less and less interested in cooking. Last night I ate a chunck of reduced fat cheese, some cold chicken and a handful of olives. Not exactly a supercharged or exciting dinner. What do you eat when you don't want to or have time to cook?

Replies

• I make...my hubby do it!

Sorry I know thats not helpful!
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    I dive head first into a warehouse club size jar of peanut butter.
  • LOL! If my hubby cooks it's McDonalds or grilled cheese..
  • I'll redeem myself with a helpfull suggestion.

Batch cook for the freezer. Get frozen veg - done in 5 mins in the microwave.

Make a large batch of say chicken and peppers with fajita seasoning. Freeze in portions and hey presto you can have fajitas in 5 mins.

Chilli, curry, bolognese sauce are all good for freezing. My Mum even makes portions of rice to freeze.

And being honest Hubby doesn't cook as often as I'd like him too! So when I get back from dance class or Netball its good to just have something that can be shoved in the microwave. You don't even have to put time aside to do it - when you cook something that you think is freezable just cook double or even triple!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Salad....spinach and arugula topped with cucumbers, yellow/red bellpeppers, edamame, peas, and topped off with a homemade vinegrette filled with lots of herbs.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    CROCKPOT!!!! I live in NC so I hear ya about the heat, and my oven heats up my little apartment! I love my crockpot :smile:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I make...my hubby do it!

Sorry I know thats not helpful!
    This...not helpful, but thank goodness I have a hubby willing to pitch in.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Last night we didn't cook. We ate a big batch of tuna fish with celery, green onions, seasonings, boiled egg on a biggo bed of lettuce. Delish.

The best thing would be to pre-cook. Make a bunch of chicken breast for the week and then you don't have to cook.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Salad
    PB&J
    Smoothie
    Fruit and/or raw veggies
    hummus with pita and/or raw veggies
    a (healthy) bowl of cereal

I usually try to keep some things cooked ahead of time for nights like that but if I don't have anything prepared the above are some of the things I usually go for.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Dr. Oetker pizza. So easy to throw in oven and eat! Not bad for nutrition either.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    A baked potato topped with corn, black beans and salsa
  • When I go to the grocery I think of those nights that I have my Zumba classes and stuff I have found that buying the already cooked Tyson chicken breasts or strips is good to toss into a salad or make chicken tacos or whatever your heart desires! Its fast its easy and the best thing is that its healthier then my old ways of just going to fast food on my way home from classes!! LOL!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    My favorite Chinese restaurant. The nice man brings me dinner.

It doesn't have MSG and I can get it with brown rice. There are several options that are lower in calories and filled with veggies. (Chicken with broccoli, chicken and snow peas, Moo goo gai pan, Hunan chicken....mmmmm....I could go on.)
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Well, you do have to use a stove, but it's not really cooking. I sometimes make a bowl of steel cut oats. Add some berries and a glass of milk, and it's dinner. Other times I'll do a couple of poached eggs on a toasted whole wheat English muffin.

Tuna salad sandwiches work well, but do take some time to prep.

And for times I really don't want to do much at all, I make a smoothie with some Greek yogurt, frozen fruit, and whey protein powder. Lots of flavor varieties and only a couple minutes spent in the kitchen.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    I make a salad with lots of veggies and a grilled chicken breast, steak, or salmon on top. Or stir fry, it can be ready on 10 minutes.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    LOL! If my hubby cooks it's McDonalds or grilled cheese..

LOL Same as my husband I know it will be fast food or something that is done in under 20 min. I usually have a meal like those Lean cuisines with a salad and let him take care off the rest of the family
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Turkey burger from Hardies or a salad from Wendys. If I have enogh calories left on my plan I might go sit down at Chiles. Of course these are all close to my house so its not that big of a deal to just head on ever there. If' I'm not going out, I'll usally just eat a salad and some fruit.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    blt's with microwave bacon. delish and super easy.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Quesadillas, chicken wraps, turkey brawts. I have kids, so "snack dinner" isn't really an option.
This discussion has been closed.