Trying to lose weight and stick to a diet, but can't..I blow

Options
Well my weight has been slowly but surely rising, I am now 5'4 and 160 and the heaviest I have ever been is 165. I definitely do not want to let myself get like that again. I have been trying to diet and eat healthier foods, but I blow it all on snacks when I go home from work in the afternoon. I get up really early for work, have breakfast, have a healthy snack at work (I work at a preschool), and then lunch. I have a little snack in the afternoon too that I make sure is healthy. But when I get back home after work, I'm always tired, stressed, have a headache, etc..and over eat until it's time for dinner. I get home at 3:30 and I don't want to eat dinner that early. So I am hungry and eat chips, sweets, anything that's in the house till I am full and spoiled my dinner. But then I still make dinner, going way overboard for my calories for the day. My calories are around 1500 per day right now. And I can't seem to find the willpower to stop my overeating. I don't binge, persay, but i'd rather sit there and eat a whole bag of chips and cookies every afternoon because I am stressed and tired. I also live alone in an apartment, have no boyfriend, and very, very few friends. :( so I guess the food is my emotional comfort for the most part. What do I do? Have any tips??

Replies

• pinkvintagelove
    pinkvintagelove Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also am so tired when I get home that I don't want to work out. I have wii fiit, and i'm signed up for curves but lack the energy or motivation to go. :(
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Look at what exactly is stressing you out and why you turn to food for comfort. I can only speak for myself when I say I used to eat for comfort because it was something I felt I had control over. I changed my mind set to say that if I had control over eating and eating and eating, then I also had control over NOT eating junk. Which one did I want more - eating and then feeling horrible about it or not eating and feeling great that I had the strength to get through that?

Here are a few things to try that I found really helpful:

1. Don't buy the junk food. If it's in the house, you're likely to eat it. If it's not there... well, you get the idea
    2. Eat a healthy snack on your way home. Once you get home, busy yourself with other stuff - like preparing your healthy dinner, washing the dishes, doing some laundry... anything to keep your mind off of snacking.
    3. If that doesn't work, try brushing your teeth as soon as you get home. It actually helps curb your appetite.
    4. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, but particularly during that stressful time of day. It'll help you feel full until you can get to dinner time.
    5. Try changing the time of day you exercise. For me, I know plenty of stuff will get in my way if I exercise after work so I get up early and exercise first thing in the morning. It's out of the way and it gives me plenty of energy to get through the day. Some days it's hard to get up early, but I tell myself if I'm tired 5 minutes into the workout, I'll go back to bed - let's just say I haven't gone back to bed once yet! I also workout at home because I'm more likely to do it and its more convenient and time efficient.

The choices you make are yours and you have to make them for yourself. It's all about what you want out of life and how much effort you're willing to put into getting yourself there.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    First of all, we're all human. :flowerforyou:

Secondly, do yourself a favor and DO.NOT.BUY.JUNK. I have pretty good willpower, but if there are my favorite things in the house, I will eat them when I get hungry. I have kids, so I buy them some stuff, like ice cream, but I buy the flavors I don't like, therefore, I am not tempted. Don't tempt yourself.

And the reason you're tired, stressed, etc., all comes down to your diet. If you're not fueling your body, you're running on empty and your energy is shot.

Bring your gym clothes to work and go straight to your gym. Once you're there you will find motivation. For me, the hardest part is getting my butt to the gym early, but once I'm there, I'm ready to go!
  • Trig0r
    Trig0r Posts: 47
    Options
    When you get home go out for a walk/run, at least that way your out of the ouse so you cant eat, and what you do eat you'll hopefully offset by being out of the house and walking..
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You've got to start exercising. Sorry, but if you want to lose weight, then that is how to do it. Exercising will a) burn fat B) give you something to do C) improve your mood D) allow you to eat more calories.

Good luck!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Pack a gym bag and go directly to the gym to workout. And have a healthy snack before your work out .
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Join a gym with a great group exercise schedule! I look forward to after work now so I can try all the new classes at my gym. Even if you don't particularly like the class you are taking, it's more time away from your kitchen and snacking!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My mother is a school teacher. She's found success in making a protein-and-fruit smoothie the night before and taking it to school with her. She keeps it in the mini fridge or a cooler and sips at it all day whenever she feels low energy. It helps curb her appetite when she gets home.

Also be sure to eat a good breakfast and lunch. Drink water. If you don't have time during the day, drink a TON of water just before you go home.

If you're hungry for dinner when you get home, why don't you eat dinner? I see no reason not to. It'll keep you from snacking, so what's the harm?
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I read your profile as well, and we have a lot in common, including that insatiable appetite after coming home from a busy day at work. For me, I have to eat small amounts throughout the day before I get to that point of no return mode. Even if I don't feel that hungry, I will have a small snack as I know in an hour I will be starving. I just know my body now. Make sure you eat some things that you enjoy, but in moderation. I love cookies too. I find fibre one granola bars equivalent to a cookie, but a bit healthier. So I have that as a snack each day. I'll pair that with a piece of fruit. Usually an apple, but right now I'm loving cherries! I eat 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day. My last snack is about 1-2 hours before bed. As for the exercise, maybe go to curves before you come home. Have a quick snack at school, just before you leave. I think the exercise will make you feel good and you will be less likely to over indulge when you get home. I feel for you, as I know what you are going through. I think if you plan out your days including food and exercise you will be less likely to sabotage your efforts. Good luck and friend me if you'd like.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your meals & snacks that you are eating during the day.... eat a lot of lean protein, this helps keep you full longer and is great for weight loss. Make sure each of your healthy snacks include protein. An apple by itself is not a good snack; an apple PLUS a protein source is better for your body and will help keep you satisfied. Drink lots of water all day long and make sure you are packing in some fiberous veggies in your lunch and dinner.

If you need a snack when you get home, have something planned out so you don't blow it. Plan your day of food out ahead of time and stick to the snack that you plan for!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    This will sound harsh. It sounded harsh when my friend told it to me years ago.

You have to want it. More than sleep. More than comfort food. More than sitting on the couch. You have to want it.

I thought she was just being preachy, having lost a lot of weight. But I now know, she's right.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Maybe try unwinding from work through an activity? Dance, running, bike rides, etc. Get rid of junk food. Don't even let it in the house. I have learned from experience that if it is there, I will eat it. Get some healthy snacks in there instead. It helped me to have fun. Being healthy isn't a punishment, it should be making you feel good.
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    Make sure you are logging in all of your food--accounting for the extra servings. I look at the labels and say "ok--is this worth wasting 200 calories on this?" When I see the extra food in front of me on my daily log it gets me motivated not to make the same mistake the next day. I too have the problem of being so tired that I don't workout as much as I should--however, I have found if I don't sit down until the workout is done, I actually have more energy to do something else. I have had 2 weeks of slack time and have got to get back on track too--it's so easy to just sit down and do nothing--however, that's what puts the extra pounds on us in the first place. I think the heat of the summer is also dragging everyone down. At least you are trying to get a handle on it before it gets out of control--I wish I had done the same. I now am trying to lose a total of 100lbs and honestly it's dropping off at turtle speed. My advice--work really hard to lose it while you only have a small amount to lose--don't wait until you wake up one day and have this huge amount to get rid of---you think you're tired now--put on another 30 lbs and see how quickly your energy levels drop!! Good Luck--at least you know what you need to work on. Since you are the only one in the house, get rid of all the bad foods and dont bring it back in. Stock your frig with fresh fruits and healthy snacks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    People say they eat breakfast, but if your breakfast is only 300 calories, then you should up it. Eating a large breakfast will help keep you from eating a lot the rest of the day.
    Personally I eat about half my allowance in daily calories before lunch.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you live alone then the only person who decides what food is there is you.

I am usually hungry around 3.30 so i have a healthy snack of fruit & then something like crackers & low fat cheese or oaty bakes etc and then when i get home at 4.30ish i have something else before i go for a run/work out, and then dinner at 6.30/7. theres nothing wrong with snacking, you just need to change your choice of snack a bit.
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    This will sound harsh. It sounded harsh when my friend told it to me years ago.

You have to want it. More than sleep. More than comfort food. More than sitting on the couch. You have to want it.

I thought she was just being preachy, having lost a lot of weight. But I now know, she's right.

THIS IS REALLY GOOD ADVICE!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Can we see your diary? That would help. You said you have healthy snacks at work, what does that mean? I have a feeling you may not be eating enough protein early in the day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i love this... its so true!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    get rid of all the junk food- eat fruit & yogurt instead - DON'T GO STRAIGHT HOME - go to the park, for a walk - go to curves - DON'T GO HOME if you know you're going to follow that pattern - BREAK IT
    do something different -
    DRINK MORE WATER
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Give yourself healthy snacks and get the unhealthy ones out of your apartment! I have berries, grapes, yogurt, cucumbers, hard boiled eggs and protein bars available for snacks. I don't have ice cream in my house or I'll eat it, instead I have Edy's juice bars and indulge in one of them for dessert every night.

I bring a lunchbox to work with tons of snacks in it...some of all of the above...to make sure I don't cave in and eat junk. I dole them out to myself every couple of hours so I'm never ravenously hungry and I always have something to look forward to, foodwise. If I decide I want a special dinner or treat in the evening, I might skip one or more snacks, to free up my calories.

And every time you see or start to eat something unwise, remind yourself what you are sacrificing for....to lose weight, to feel better, to look better!! Every time I walk by the delicious cakes, brownies and donuts laid out in my office, I tell myself...none of that tastes as good as skinny feels. Instant gratification or long term satisfaction??? And I keep walking. You can do it too. If you want it badly enough.