How can I be overweight?

Options
Ok so every day I look at my friends diaries (the ones that are public) and everyone has 3 full meals, snacks, beverages, very detailed diaries. My diary is also public & yesterday I had someone comment "is that really all you ate?"
On most days I only eat once a day (dinner) and I don't eat much at all - yesterday I had 2 cups of soup for dinner. No, I am not trying to starve myself .. 1. I'm just really not hungry 2. If I try to eat before then, especially if it's a hot day or I'm really active I get sick and throw up 3. I'm an extremely picky eater. So my question is- how am I so overweight?

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    its not all about what you eat or dont eat ......... tons of factors build our weights
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    Your body is probably in starvation mode. Because you eat so little calories, your body doesn't know when it's next meal is coming, so it hangs onto fat, uaually around the midsection.

You need to up your calories, and up your exercise to get your metabolism going again.

Good luck and feel better!
  • elmobabie84
    Options
    it could be that your body is in starvation mode.
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    eating less is actually worse because your body goes into starvation mode and it will just store everything as fat!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hard to say when your diary is closed.

But if you are undereating your body is probably very reluctant to shed the fat and turns every little scrap of food it isnt using into fat straight away.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a doctor? Because that sounds like it might be a deeper problem. You should not get sick and throw up from eating a normal healthy diet on a regular basis. I would make an appointment asap!
  • jamiefire7
    Options
    It sounds like you are malnourished. You should try talking to a dietician. That is not enough food for your body to stay healthy. I can't imagine you have much energy?
  • srhdwll
    srhdwll Posts: 65
    Options
    Your body holds on to every calorie you give it is my guess.

Also you may not be eating a lot calories, but you might be drinking them.
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly be pregnant? If not your not loosing any weight because you basically are staving yourself. Your metabolisim is shutting down and holding onto every bit of fat it can. You need to find foods that won't make you sick and eat plenty of them.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably in starvation mode. Because you eat so little calories, your body doesn't know when it's next meal is coming, so it hangs onto fat, uaually around the midsection.

You need to up your calories, and up your exercise to get your metabolism going again.

Good luck and feel better!

^ this
  • hstallings13
    Options
    the body needs fuel to run just like a car. If you dont' eat enough on a regular basis it will start to hold onto the fat stores thinking it might need them for survival. There are tons of threads about it, but basically, the body runs more efficently when it has the proper fuel in it. I have a hard time eating in the summer due to the heat, so smoothies and shakes are usually a great way to get some calories and not overload yourself in the heat
  • johnnythebaptist
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

This is good reading and I THINK IT WILL HELP!!!!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Your body has responded to not getting enough food by slowing down your metabolism.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Because your body is clinging to your dinner for dear life and will not let it go until it sees you feeding it more.

You need to eat more. You will struggle with weight loss if your body is starving (which it is). Try increasing your diet slowly if you aren't hungry with homemade smoothies and such until you can reach a normal, healthy diet.
  • Kristin111365
    Options
    Your starving yourself and shuting down your metabolism. eat a small breakfast. I like greek yogurt. have a protien shake for lunch and then have your dinner. it dosent have to be alot. Just something to help your body out of starvation mode.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That is really concerning. Your body is starving, and if you eat before you're hungry you throw up? I hate to say this, but you need to see a doctor. Try drinking ensure for some calories and protein (I do this for lunches). This will probably stay in your stomach it's pretty benign. If you don't eat all day, your blood sugar drops and it not burning fat but putting a lot of strain on your organs.
  • fine4now
    fine4now Posts: 84
    Options
    You body will go into starvation mode if you do not take in enough calories. It will store the fat and eat at the muscle. Every calorie you eat will be stored as fat. You need atleast 1200 cal a day. If you really active then even more. Breakfast is a big issue, with out it your metabolism doesnt kick in. Try eating lite for a few days for breakfast, lunch, and supper, then slowly increase the amount til you reach your target calories. Hopefully this will decrease the sickness.
  • amhl
    amhl Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't want to appear like I am butting in, but have you checked with a Doctor to see if there might be other digestive issues at work?
    There are also *saver* metabolisms; when they don't get a lot of food, they *save* every calorie. It is inherited from generations ago when food was scarce.
    If things don't improve, do consider a check up.
    And regular exercise is important in the equation, not just low calories.
    Good luck and take care!
  • jackieb79
    Options
    you need to eat several small meals a day to keep your metabolism going, otherwise your body goes into starvation mode. Eating only once per day is not a good strategy for losing weight.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    **facepalm**

that is all.....