My trainer told me to take CLA ( long)

Options
Hi MFP peeps,

I have been trying to lose bodyfat for about three months now and I have been doing well (8% so far). I consult with a bodybuilder/personal trainer that takes various supplements and he suggested to take a supplement called CLA to retain lean muscle mass and to pretty much prevent new fat from coming on. I am going to get mine today and I just wanted to share the great news of this product below:

A new study being published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reveals that daily consumption of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) helped overweight adults lose a significant portion of body fat (up to nine percent, says the study). Of course, the study was funded by Tonalin, makers of the most popular CLA nutritional supplement, so the findings aren't surprising. Other clinical studies have found a variety of results, but the consensus is clear that CLA does, indeed, help people lose weight even as the degree of that weight loss is hotly debated.
CLA is a particular form of dietary fat, so the obvious question here is: "How does eating fat cause you to lose fat?" Answering that question requires a closer look at the fat-free craze of the last two decades, where doctors were telling people to avoid practically all dietary fats and, instead, eat as much refined sugar and carbohydrate as they wanted. It was this sort of advice that resulted in hoards of consumers sitting around on their couches, watching TV and consuming a dozen fat-free donuts in one meal while telling themselves, "It's healthy! My doctor says I'll lose weight!"

The result of all this is the alarming rise in obesity and diabetes our population has experienced over the last two decades. Consuming unlimited quantities of sugar, refined carbohydrates and processed foods, it turns out, actually raises triglyceride levels in your blood and damages your pancreas to boot. As we now know, the body needs dietary fat, and it is the type of fat that determines the health outcome. Hence the recent distinction between "good fats" and "bad fats."

Simply put, CLA helps people lose weight because it's a good fat. Consuming it accelerates of the body's metabolic rate while slowing the body's conversion of dietary fats into body fat. In a way, when the body is getting enough fat through the diet, it doesn't feel the need to hoard fats by enlarging adipose tissue. This benefit can be further accelerated by avoiding all low-quality fats in the diet: hydrogenated oils (found in nearly all cookies, crackers and baked goods), soybean oil (the most common, cheapest vegetable oil on the market), and other low-cost vegetable oils. Instead, the consumption of healthy oils should be increased: extra virgin olive oil, flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, peanut oil, macadamia nut oil, and even extra virgin coconut oil. By consuming these oils while avoiding all refined carbohydrates, the body will naturally achieve a healthy triglyceride level in the bloodstream.

In this CLA study, it's important to note that study subjects consumed over three grams of CLA each day (3000 mg). That's a fairly high dose. Most people taking CLA supplements don't even come close to that dose, since many softgels hold no more than 500mg of oil. You'd have to take six or seven each day to match the dose used in the study. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a level of supplementation that most consumers would never reach. For some reason, consumers tend to take nutritional supplements, herbs, vitamins and minerals like they were drugs: one pill a day. That's typically far less than what's needed, depending on the supplement. For example, I personally take as much as ten grams of chlorella each day -- that's twenty 500mg capsules (an entire handful). Chlorella isn't a drug, it's a superfood. People should be eating it like food. CLA falls into the same category: it's a food, not a drug. It would be more effective and more convenient to buy CLA in its liquid form and take it by the tablespoon rather than individual gelcaps.

In any case, CLA is certainly effective in helping people lose weight, but once again its effects pale in comparison to daily exercise, strength training, and the avoidance of all processed foods and metabolic disruptors. If you decide to take CLA, don't make the common mistake of thinking it replaces daily exercise. Instead, use CLA in conjunction with exercise to achieve your health and fitness goals.

Replies

• Khadines
    Khadines Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I will surely research this!
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks for doing this research. I've never heard of CLA and I used to be a personal trainer. Though I was never real big on 'fat burners'. I'm always real leary about studies simply because they usually are funded by the manufacturers of the product. I always try to find two or three third-party tests and also read product review. Hopefully your research will help someone who is considering replacing diet/exercise with suppliments.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    let us know how it works
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I just picked some up today and am excited to incorporate it into my regimen. It took a long time for me to decide to take it, but am excited to see if it benefits me.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind with CLA in the studies it is only one version of the composition that produced results.

there are two different chemical compositions possible: c9,t-11-CLA and t10,c12-CLA.

Check the article below for detailed information. Always good practice to educate yourself as much as possible before spending your money on any kind of supplement.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/can-cla-help-you-lose-body-fat

Ref Study: (Raff M, Tholstrup T, Toubro S, Bruun JM, Lund P, Straarup EM, Christensen R, Sandberg MB, Mandrup S. Conjugated linoleic acids reduce body fat in healthy postmenopausal women. J Nutr. 2009 Jul;139(7):1347-52. Epub 2009 Jun 3.)

"CLA supplementation does decrease body fat, but only if it’s a specific mixture of CLAs.

In this study, the mixed-CLA group (a mix of 40% c9,t11-CLA and 40% t10,c12-CLA) did decrease body fat, but c9,t11 CLA supplementation didn’t.

If you were going to supplement, a mix of c9,t11-CLA and t10,c12-CLA is the way to go, but you aren’t going to see any miracles.

While the mixed CLA group did have 7% less lower-body fat than the control group, that works out to be 700 grams (1.5 lb) of fat on average.

Bottom line
    If you have everything else in order – exercising, being PN compliant, sleeping, etc. – and are not losing any more body fat then you could give mixed CLA supplementation a try. Without everything else in place, you’d be wasting your money."
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind with CLA in the studies it is only one version of the composition that produced results.

there are two different chemical compositions possible: c9,t-11-CLA and t10,c12-CLA.

Check the article below for detailed information. Always good practice to educate yourself as much as possible before spending your money on any kind of supplement.

Ref Study: (Raff M, Tholstrup T, Toubro S, Bruun JM, Lund P, Straarup EM, Christensen R, Sandberg MB, Mandrup S. Conjugated linoleic acids reduce body fat in healthy postmenopausal women. J Nutr. 2009 Jul;139(7):1347-52. Epub 2009 Jun 3.)

"CLA supplementation does decrease body fat, but only if it’s a specific mixture of CLAs.

In this study, the mixed-CLA group (a mix of 40% c9,t11-CLA and 40% t10,c12-CLA) did decrease body fat, but c9,t11 CLA supplementation didn’t.

If you were going to supplement, a mix of c9,t11-CLA and t10,c12-CLA is the way to go, but you aren’t going to see any miracles.

While the mixed CLA group did have 7% less lower-body fat than the control group, that works out to be 700 grams (1.5 lb) of fat on average.

Bottom line
    If you have everything else in order – exercising, being PN compliant, sleeping, etc. – and are not losing any more body fat then you could give mixed CLA supplementation a try. Without everything else in place, you’d be wasting your money."

I think what I posted says everything you just told us again! BTW, I am on a very good eating and exercise regime so I expect good results on this supplement. I KNOW there are no magic pills and this is only going to be used as a LEan muscle mass retainer. If I maintain Lean muscle mass I will always burn more fat at rest.
  • brnsgrsbody
    Options
    Thanks for doing this research. I've never heard of CLA and I used to be a personal trainer. Though I was never real big on 'fat burners'. I'm always real leary about studies simply because they usually are funded by the manufacturers of the product. I always try to find two or three third-party tests and also read product review. Hopefully your research will help someone who is considering replacing diet/exercise with suppliments.

You have made me very upset because you obviously didn't read the article!!!! NO ONE EVER suggested replacing diet and exercise with supplements. Do you know the definition of SUPPLEMENT? It is to be used in conjunction wil the diet and exercise!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't get on here lying and obviously you were not looking into various supplements when you were a trainer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Waste of money. The percentage of fat loss compared to the price to you pay to get it is expensive. Unless you're down to your last 10lbs and having real difficulty with it, just hit it hard with exercise and be consistent with your diet. No secret. Supplements touting weight loss assistance only help with about 1% of your total weight loss.
  • brnsgrsbody
    Options
    Waste of money. The percentage of fat loss compared to the price to you pay to get it is expensive. Unless you're down to your last 10lbs and having real difficulty with it, just hit it hard with exercise and be consistent with your diet. No secret. Supplements touting weight loss assistance only help with about 1% of your total weight loss.

Thank you sir! I will take that as sound advice. I hadn't went to price it.
    HaHa I wonder how much you feel I have to lose?
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options

Bottom line

I think what I posted says everything you just told us again! BTW, I am on a very good eating and exercise regime so I expect good results on this supplement. I KNOW there are no magic pills and this is only going to be used as a LEan muscle mass retainer. If I maintain Lean muscle mass I will always burn more fat at rest.

Hey there. It wasn't my intent to regurgitate anything you already said. Just add in an additional note that not all versions of CLA are created equal. If people want to try it and don't have the right compound, they're simply wasting their money that's all.

How do you find out if you have the right compound? Well, that's always the catch isn't it.

Cheers! :-)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Thank you sir! I will take that as sound advice. I hadn't went to price it.
    HaHa I wonder how much you feel I have to lose?
    Stats would help.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

You have made me very upset because you obviously didn't read the article!!!! NO ONE EVER suggested replacing diet and exercise with supplements. Do you know the definition of SUPPLEMENT? It is to be used in conjunction wil the diet and exercise!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't get on here lying and obviously you were not looking into various supplements when you were a trainer. DUDE for real grow some balls.

I'm pretty sure the comment "hopefully your research will help someone who is considering replacing diet/exercise with suppliments" simply means that IF someone WERE to be considering replacing diet/exercise with these suppliments, your OP would help them understand why it wouldn't be effective.
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options

I don't get on here lying and obviously you were not looking into various supplements when you were a trainer. DUDE for real grow some balls.

Ok, well first of all, I never said you were suggesting replacing diet and exercise with supps. I said many people do and hopefully your research would help. Or perhaps this isn't your research at all and you're copy/pasting somone else's work in order to make yourself feel good.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I am locking, cleaning and unlocking this thread. Please keep it civil. Sharing information is great, attacking each other will not be tolerated.

Thanks for your cooperation
    Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm starting with the CLA tomorrow. What kind of results have you seen? Linda/CMAS, BS, RN
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If the whole point is to eat GOOD fats, then wouldn't having a diet rich in (healthy) high fat foods provide the same results? There's a thing called the anabolic diet, not sure how well it works but it follows a similar base line WITHOUT having to take any supplements.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have used CLA for well over a month and have NOT seen any weight loss while taking them or from them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have used CLA for well over a month and have NOT seen any weight loss while taking them or from them.
    If you got them from GNC you can get your money back if within a month.

Edit: I just saw it's been over a month. Sorry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I took CLA for a long time.. (at least 3 years) I did not see any better results. I really dont' think for the $ that it did what I wanted. I think you are better off buying grass fed beef and eating healthy fats. You just don't know what quality or concentration you are getting. For me the benefit is not enough to justify the cost. better off with a nutritionist or trainer.

CLA is found naturally in grass fed beef, which is what we should be eating anyway. I purchased OTC supplements which I did not find gave me any significant results.