This is why Interval Training/Crossfit works

Options
kdiamond
kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
I am a big believer in interval training and Crossfit type workouts. I "preach" a lot on these boards. I wanted to share a little experience we had today in our class.

Here was our workout from start to finish:

Warmup: 400 meter run, 20 shoulder dislocates with pvc pipe, 20 walking lunges, 10 squats, 10 handstand pushups, 15 situps, and 15 back extensions.

Then we did a cycle of

21 reps - 15 reps - 9 reps (no resting between rounds) of squat cleans (65 pounds) and ring dips. Most people finished in the 7 minute area.

Then we did a Tabata workout, which is 8 rounds of 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest of jump roping and situps. That was 8 minutes.

Total time working = 15 minutes plus ~8 minute warmup.

A lady who is in my class wears a Body Bugg, she's around my size, 5'4" and 110 pounds, give or take a couple pounds.

She burned 390 calories...yes you read that right. From the time we started to the time we finished (the class is one hour but we have a lot of down time), she burned 390 calories. That comes out to about 19 calories per minute.

Interval training WORKS.

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I just started interval training, I love how many calories you can burn in such a short amount of time as long as you give it your all. No slacking with this kind of training.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 469
    Options
    I am a big believer in interval training and Crossfit type workouts. I "preach" a lot on these boards. I wanted to share a little experience we had today in our class.

Warmup: 400 meter run, 20 shoulder dislocates with pvc pipe, 20 walking lunges, 10 squats, 10 handstand pushups, 15 situps, and 15 back extensions.

Then we did a cycle of

21 reps - 15 reps - 9 reps (no resting between rounds) of squat cleans (65 pounds) and ring dips. Most people finished in the 7 minute area.

Then we did a Tabata workout, which is 8 rounds of 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest of jump roping and situps. That was 8 minutes.

A lady who is in my class wears a Body Bugg, she's around my size, 5'4" and 110 pounds, give or take a couple pounds.

She burned 390 calories...yes you read that right. From the time we started to the time we finished (the class is one hour but we have a lot of down time), she burned 390 calories. That comes out to about 19 calories per minute.

Interval training WORKS.

so she basically burned 390 calories in an hour. that's decent, but you're totally twisting the numbers by saying she's burning 19 calories/minute
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    It does work but, You gotta push yourself. Some people don't and then assume it doesnt work for them when in reality they're just lazy.
  • mattellis2
    mattellis2 Posts: 152
    Options

Then we did a cycle of

Interval training WORKS.

so she basically burned 390 calories in an hour. that's decent, but you're totally twisting the numbers by saying she's burning 19 calories/minute

agree.

that being said, i am pondering checking out the crossfit thing. local gym has a beginner's meet and great this saturday.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Removed post as this is really the wrong place to post it!
  • kdiamond
    Options

Then we did a cycle of

Interval training WORKS.

agree.

that being said, i am pondering checking out the crossfit thing. local gym has a beginner's meet and great this saturday.

Not really, because there was only really 20 minutes of WORK. We were physically present for one hour, but the rest of it was resting, putting our bars together, putting stuff away, waiting for the next round, etc..
  • kdiamond
    Options
    I agree with you on the value of HIIT type training, there is no other way to get such a great calorie burn in a short time, and the program you laid out sounds great. But for me high intensity can only be part of the story.

Some HIIT fans come across as near nazis for the program to the exclusion of all else and it drives me crazy! (Not addressing the OP here!) I love long runs and longer bike rides and there is a place for such activities in everyone’s regimen. It’s so easy for folks to become so enamored with one regimen and ignore the value of others. I try to continually mix it up. I strength train, trail run, and cycle. I engage in variety within each of those disciplines. P90X, hill repeats, speed work, long slow distance, etc. But my favorite of all is long bike rides. Sure I can burn as many calories in a fraction of the time by doing intervals, but I really LIKE long rides! Some HIIT fans write off lsd with unconcealed contempt and they just don't know what they are missing. Yeah, they are correct, it is not the optimum way to burn calories and specifically fat. But that is not the only criteria with which to evaluate an exercise.

I'm not here to disagree with the OP nor to rant (well, I just did that) but I'd love to see more people avail themselves of a broad variety of exercise. A two to four hour mountain bike or road bike ride is a glorious way to spend a Saturday afternoon. The calorie burn and cardiovascular improvement are just great extras that come with it! Sure, we should all do intervals, tabata, etc. but do other things too. I’m done, thanks!

I absolutely agree, and of course I love going for long swims and fun stuff. But I like to point out that we all have 20 minutes in our day to get exercise, and if you're a busy mom with kids, work, school, etc., there is a way to get 20 minutes of exercise that works and keeps you in shape!
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Added CrossFit to weekly routine and couldn't agree more! Definitely BURNS and strengthens CORE which is my target area at this time. In fact looking forward to my session tonight.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Then we did a cycle of

Interval training WORKS.

agree.

Not really, because there was only really 20 minutes of WORK. We were physically present for one hour, but the rest of it was resting, putting our bars together, putting stuff away, waiting for the next round, etc..

The issue is that your heart rate is still elevated during this time, ie you're buring calories. If you just did 20 minutes of interval training you would not burn 390 calories. That's the bottom line.

I burn about 750 calories in an hour run. You burn 390 in an hour of cross fit. I'm sticking with running.
  • kdiamond
    Options

The issue is that your heart rate is still elevated during this time, ie you're buring calories. If you just did 20 minutes of interval training you would not burn 390 calories. That's the bottom line.

I burn about 750 calories in an hour run. You burn 390 in an hour of cross fit. I'm sticking with running.

I hear what you're saying, yes I am aware it is because your heart rate is elevated during the entire hour. Not many people can run for a full hour nonstop either...

As for high intensity training vs running, strength training keeps buring more calories throughout the day as well. Something to think about! I used to run a lot more than I do now (now I do intervals of running vs long running sessions) and I feel my body looks better now. To each his own! I'm not here to argue that it is better, I was simply saying it works.
  • Seanemcee
    Options
    This is why I like to use a heart rate monitor. The body bug thing baffles me. I will admit I don't know much about it, but the way it was explained to me is that it measures your sweat? I'm not sure how this accurately measures calorie burn, but hey I am no exercise scientist! My heart rate monitor tells me exactly (supposedly) how many calories I burned in a workout. If I wanted to I could save it right afterward and restart it to see what I burned during the rest of the hour.

So on an average (1st month) Insanity workout I burn around 500 calories in 45 minutes. But my heart rate returns to normal within a relatively short amount of time. I'm not sure what everyone means by an elevated heart rate for the rest of the hour. Mine usually drops back down pretty quick.

I was thinking about trying Crossfit after this round of Insanity and perhaps another round of P90X/Insanity hybrid.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like how the exercises are broken down. It keeps you from getting bored and makes that hr fly by!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    When I was doing bodyweight only workouts, I was burning between 350-400 calories in 30 minutes. I do not take breaks. I pause only long enough for my heart rate to drop 5ish points. Now that I'm wright training, I do the same thing. I'm burning over 400 in 30 minutes. This is via a Polar FT7, properly adjusted.

In addition to calories burned, I'm promoting fat loss VIA hormonal response, along with the additional calories burned in muscle repair etc.

I'll take strength training...tyvm.

By the way, this was directed at the running comment, not the Crossfit...Crossfit and intervals rock :).
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 469
    Options
    When I was doing bodyweight only workouts, I was burning between 350-400 calories in 30 minutes. I do not take breaks. I pause only long enough for my heart rate to drop 5ish points. Now that I'm wright training, I do the same thing. I'm burning over 400 in 30 minutes. This is via a Polar FT7, properly adjusted.

In addition to calories burned, I'm promoting fat loss VIA hormonal response, along with the additional calories burned in muscle repair etc.

By the way, this was directed at the running comment, not the Crossfit...Crossfit and intervals rock :).

HRM aren't really accurate for weight training
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

So I hear...the results speak for themselves. Additionally, it depends on how you perform your workout.

Regardless...there's a LOT more to fat loss than calories out versus calories in. You may lose weight that way...but a lot of it will be muscle. No thanks...I'd rather have a short, intense as all hells workout that spikes growth hormone, promotes fat burning, and keeps burning calories at an elevated rate for the next day or so...than have to grind away at a numbingly boring exercise for an hour, that eats muscle in equal portions to fat...just for some huge calorie burned number. .
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

or interval training.

I like to throw in crossfit type stuff all the time. I do traditional resistance training most days, then chuck in some metabolic finishers. Do love my KB's for this as well as olympic lifts and barbell complexes.
  • ActiveTami
    ActiveTami Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Kdiamond, thanks for the motivation to get moving! I can do 20 mins or so until I am ready to do longer exercises. I appreciate the intention of your post to inspire others.
  • BrockDoe
    BrockDoe Posts: 25
    Options
    HIIT may be a good quick way to burn calories but without a good cardiovascular base from LSD training you'll be doing more good than bad for your cardiovascular system. The quick rise in BP and Heart Rate will be similar to lifting weights but for the heart. The heart muscle will hypertrophy and put unnecessary stress on the heart and can cause complications later in life.

Bottom line HIIT is great!! but, need to mix it in with LSD training too.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This thread just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

As someone who incorporates both LSD and HIIT in my routine, It's a wonder I have any muscle and heart left.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I'm confused!

I do like interval training though, relieves some boredem and I do feel like I've worked MUCH harder. I like pyramid training as an alternative to interval as well. Same idea.

I must admit, the more I read the more confused I get!