How do you Runners do it?

Options
2»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The right shoes are non-negotiable, and honestly, I wouldn't say Nike are right for running. They are great for aerobics, classes etc, but I would only use Asics or New Balance for running. And they have to be properly fitted to your foot shape and gait.

I haven't ever had shin splints, so I am not in the best position to comment, but I did start running from absolutely nothing (hadn't run in 14 years, to running 10k in a few days, so I certainly don't think shin splints are inevitable at all. In fact I don't know anyone who isn't overweight who has had them that I know in real life. As you don't look remotely overweight, it may be something to do with your running style. Do you strike very hard? I really would get your gait analysis done and think about some different shoes.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention whether or not you went to a specialty running store to get fitted for your shoes. I would highly reccomend it. Also, make sure you are hydrating well, not only with water, but with electrolytes, as well. I use NUUN. Research both of these topics. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks! No I just went to the Nike store, had the sales guy tell me how good those shoes were, and I tried them on and they felt great, but that was it, you know the salesman doing his job by telling me how great they were etc....:ohwell:
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I had horrible shin splints all my life... until I started running, go figure! I credit this to several things. 1. Good shoes, I went to a running store, had a gait evaluation and bought $90 shoes 2. Working on calf and shin muscle strength. I put a stability ball against the wall and lay on my back, I do "gas" pedal pushes with my feet against the ball, also walking on my heels and toes a few minutes each day. 3. Stretching after runs and weekly yoga. 4. At the first hint of any pain ICE ICE ICE.

Hope you get some relief!

GAIT Evaluation?? Whats that? I would definitly do any kind of evaluation as long as they can help me get rid of this pain lol

They actually look at your feet, arches, pronation etc and help you pick the right shoe for your foot and how you run.

Also, do you follow a training program at all? Starting really slow and working my way up has helped my body so much. I did c25k, then started adding .5mi/week.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I still get the pains after running for a week straight
    I think I've spotted your problem! Even "us runners" tend not to do it every day - I have three must-do sessions and one optional one a week.

I agree with the other posters, get fitted properly for the right running shoes and change the surfaces you run on. Make sure you're not using an exaggerated toe-lift to get a heel landing.

Mix up our sessions too. Instead of just going for it each time have a goal - say one distance, one intervals, one race speed.

Also, shin splints is one of those things that "just happen" when you start running and get used to an unfamiliar, high-impact, action. I've written more about it in my beginner's tips, "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started":
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    GAIT Evaluation?? Whats that? I would definitly do any kind of evaluation as long as they can help me get rid of this pain lol

Gait is the pattern of movement of the limbs during locomotion over a solid substrate. You should have it evaluated to find the right shoe.
  • Sj20fame
    Options
    I had horrible shin splints all my life... until I started running, go figure! I credit this to several things. 1. Good shoes, I went to a running store, had a gait evaluation and bought $90 shoes 2. Working on calf and shin muscle strength. I put a stability ball against the wall and lay on my back, I do "gas" pedal pushes with my feet against the ball, also walking on my heels and toes a few minutes each day. 3. Stretching after runs and weekly yoga. 4. At the first hint of any pain ICE ICE ICE.

Hope you get some relief!

They actually look at your feet, arches, pronation etc and help you pick the right shoe for your foot and how you run.

Also, do you follow a training program at all? Starting really slow and working my way up has helped my body so much. I did c25k, then started adding .5mi/week.

No I don't have any kind of training program, I've been jogging, and I wanted to work my way up slowly, and eventually make my running time longer, and then sign up for a 5k one day! I don't feel I'm anwhere near that:blushing: , and these shin splints always seem to hold me back, so I will definitly see where they do Gait evaluations, because I don't think they do that at our local Nike store.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Buying brand name shoes means nothing. Absolutely nothing in the world of running. Your Nikes are no better suited for running than the $20 Champion shoes you get at Payless if they're not a good fit for your gait, arch type, etc..

Go to a running store and get a gait analysis. Ice massage + stretching (calf stretches are a MUST) + new proper shoes will get you where you need to be. Slow and steady mileage increases are what you need. Don't burn yourself out mentally or physically.

I think Nike has crap running shoes personally. I have loved Mizunos in the past, but currently am a lover of the Asics 2160s and the Brooks GTS series. If they say you need a stability shoe (both mine are lightweight, by choice) than I would steer you in the direction of both these models. BUT ONLY if they tell you that...you could do more damage running in the wrong type than you have done running in those Nikes.
  • Sj20fame
    Options
    I still get the pains after running for a week straight
    I think I've spotted your problem! Even "us runners" tend not to do it every day - I have three must-do sessions and one optional one a week.

I agree with the other posters, get fitted properly for the right running shoes and change the surfaces you run on. Make sure you're not using an exaggerated toe-lift to get a heel landing.

Mix up our sessions too. Instead of just going for it each time have a goal - say one distance, one intervals, one race speed.

Also, shin splints is one of those things that "just happen" when you start running and get used to an unfamiliar, high-impact, action. I've written more about it in my beginner's tips, "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started":
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Yes I guess I should slow my roll huh? :laugh: but I love running!:happy: I will have to set my mind on rest days, because sometimes I get carried away with my own legs! hee hee
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1. Go to an actual running store and get fitted for shoes. They will be pricey, but totally worth it if no more shin splints. (my personal favorites are Asics brand. my sis-in-law only buys saucony. Find the shoe that works with your foot. Just because it is Nike, doesn't mean it is *your* perfect shoe)
    2. Where are you running? Pavement (asphalt) over Cement sidewalks. Cement has no give and is very bad for shin splints. Find a park with a running trail (ground even better than pavement)
    3. What is you stride? Shorten it. Usually you can get a lot of shin splints from striking too hard on your heel. Which is usually caused by too long, out of control stride.

Good luck and good running.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a break from running every other day to give your legs a break. I know some people do run every day, but I figure it's like weight lifting- you never do the same muscle two days in a row! Try biking, swimming, kickboxing, something else on your off days.

And your Nike's aren't necessarily the problem. Every brand is different and fits a different type of foot. Nikes are the only kind I can wear- other people hate them. But I would go with all of the other suggestions and go to a "real" running or sports store, not one of the big name or big box types.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    1. Go to an actual running store and get fitted for shoes. They will be pricey, but totally worth it if no more shin splints. (my personal favorites are Asics brand. my sis-in-law only buys saucony. Find the shoe that works with your foot. Just because it is Nike, doesn't mean it is *your* perfect shoe)
    2. Where are you running? Pavement (asphalt) over Cement sidewalks. Cement has no give and is very bad for shin splints. Find a park with a running trail (ground even better than pavement)
    3. What is you stride? Shorten it. Usually you can get a lot of shin splints from striking too hard on your heel. Which is usually caused by too long, out of control stride.

Good luck and good running.

All of the above here. Look to see if you have a Road Runner Sports, Fleet Feet, or similar store where you live. It should be a running-specific store - "big box" stores like Sports Authority or Foot Locker will NOT be able to help you.

Most importantly, you need the right shoes (do not get hung up on a brand/color/style - they should fit you comfortably without needing to be "broken in") And then you need to start SMALL and work your way up with mileage. Running every day for a week won't make you faster or able to run longer - it'll make you injured. Especially if you are starting from scratch. Shin splints are a big red flag of overuse and the wrong shoes and can lead to a stress fracture, which you definitely don't want.

Sure, some people run every day... I personally think they are setting themselves up for eventual injury. You have to rest the muscles so they can re-build and come back stronger. Running is no different. As a beginner, you should be running 3-4 days a week, max, using Couch to 5K or a similar program so you can build your endurance. Once you have endurance/stamina, then work on speed.

I'm a certified distance running coach AND I used to work for a women's running store, so I have a lot of information stored in my noggin should you have other questions. Best of luck!