Runners - should I wait?

So a brief history on me. I started running last January, could barely run a mile. By November I ran my first 1/2 marathon (finished in 2:19). I kept my base around 20 mpw until I started training for my second 1/2. My second half is in two weeks and my mpw have been in the high 20s peaking in the low 30s. My longest run ever is 15 miles, ran it last Sunday, it was a good run, but at the end I could not imagine having gone for another 11.2 miles. The recovery from that run has been a little rough in the sense that my 2 runs since Sunday (a 5 miler Monday and a 7 miler today) have been murder. My legs have felt like concrete blocks.

My intention was to train hard for this half to see if I could handle a marathon program and I'm having serious second thoughts. I really want to run at least one marathon, but think that maybe I'm not ready. I was planning on running LA 2012, but think I may be better off just continuing to build my base get a couple 20 milers under my belt and then commit to a full.

So my question is, will marathon training be more enjoyable for me if I build my base up a little more, or is this as good as it gets and marathon training is just hard no matter what I do. I'm still on the fence about running LA 2012, and if I had confidence that building a bigger base and maybe tackling a few more 1/2s will make the experience more enjoyable then I think I'll wait. Thoughts?

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    This is beyond my knowledge base since I just started working toward my first 1/2, but I would like to see what everyone else thinks. Congrats on the success you had so far!
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Just like half training you build your mileage. You won't do a 15 mile run, then the next a 26.2.

I remember crossing my first finish line at a half and said that "people who run marathons are crazy. I couldn't imagine running another 13.1 miles."

Happy to admit, I am one of those crazy one's :D

You can do it... and you will!

Edited to add: Recovery after a long run. Your legs ARE going to feel like cement. Just push through.
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    So, I'm kinda where you were last year. I started seriously running last December and my first 1/2 marathon will be in October. Just try to remember how training was when you were building up to that 1/2. You didn't just go from running 10k to 1/2. You need to gradually increase your distance. If you think that you're taking too long to recover from your run, then you should probably push back your full marathon. FYI, Runner's world magazine has a lot of good articles about training for your first marathon.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    I don't have marathon experience myself, but I am a casual everyday runner and am training for a 1/2 marathon in October.

I think that you may have just over done it the last couple of days. You ran your longest ever at 15 miles on Sunday and then turned around and ran 5 on Monday and 7 on Tuesday. Because Sunday you pushed yourself beyond what your body is used to I think you probably should have taken Monday as a rest day or done some other form of cardio. This could be why Monday and Tuesday runs were so difficult. I know its hard to take a day off from running, but the body does need time for recovery. I often wind up running 6 or 7 days a week as well but if I am running this much at least a couple of the days I don't do more than 3 miles, and chalk these runs up as "recovery runs".
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    I would build your base and slowly work your way up

I was like you and i tried jumping to a higher mileage on my long runs and my legs felt like it was going to fall off. I learned the hard way that in order to do your long runs on the weekend is to build your mileage of your runs during the week. Had to increase my weekly mileage from 25 miles a week to 40-45 miles a week. Since doing that my long runs werent so 'painful' and i think im really going to enjoy doing my first Marathon. I started training for Chicago a year ago and im glad i started early. Some of these training plans are like 12 or 16 weeks long and i cant imagine cramming so much miles in that short of a period. It doesnt put into consideration, injuries, family events, just taking off to rest, its all boom boom boom.

If you go to www.runnersworld.com on their main page they have a section called smart coach and you plug in your last race, time and what race youre training for and it comes up with a schedule for you. It even asks how hard you want to train for it.

Have fun. Off to do doubles again!!!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 778 Member
    Just like half training you build your mileage. You won't do a 15 mile run, then the next a 26.2.

I remember crossing my first finish line at a half and said that "people who run marathons are crazy. I couldn't imagine running another 13.1 miles."

Happy to admit, I am one of those crazy one's :D

You can do it... and you will!

Edited to add: Recovery after a long run. Your legs ARE going to feel like cement. Just push through.

Very true! I trained last season with a friend who was going to complete her first whole marathon. i have ran 3 full marathons & got the HYPE to do it again, but decided on sticking to the half to get a PR. Along with prepping your body physically, you will become mentally prepared for 26.2. Great luck to you!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    I am training for my second marathon and I agree with the above. You probably should think about taking a rest day (from running) the day after a long run. I do. It helps so much. If you're only running 3-4 days a week (my plan is a 4-day-a-week plan) then definitely rest before and after the long run, because those are key to getting through 26.2. My base mpw wasn't any higher than yours and I've run 17 half marathons and a full. It's all about making sure you get in the miles and then RECOVERING WELL after. That includes what you eat right after your run, how much rest you get, etc.

Are you following a structured plan or just sort of running by feel? With two weeks until race day, you want to start thinking about your taper... this weekend you should run about 10 miles, then the weekend before 8-10 miles to give your body a chance to rest, then the week of the race run 2-3 shorter runs of no more than 5 miles to stay loose (and rested) before you run full-out at the half.

Marathon training is totally different - mentally and physically. See how the half feels and then decide. :)

Best of luck! I'm a RRCA-certified distance running coach if you have any other questions or concerns... I'd be happy to help :)
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 497 Member
    Nah, don't wait, if you really want to do it. Sounds like you have a more than adequate base to train for one. Long runs can be kind of sucky, no matter how fit you are. Sometimes you will have great long run days and run fast and feel like Superman; some days you will cry and make deals with yourself and god to avoid getting on the buses that pass by. Don't ever increase your long run by more than 10%, which will help you inch your way up there without getting freaked--you can probably do one more mile than you did last week, so don't worry about all 12 yet. Also, do give yourself a break after long runs. If you did a long slow run, then you can just take a rest day the next day (try to do a short walk at least), but if you did a long tempo or race pace run, then do a very short easy run (3 mi) the next day to help work out the lactic acid buildup. Agree with earlier poster who said that you will be stiff and sore the day after a long run no matter what you do--15-16 miles was my breaking point. Less than that and I felt fine; more than that and I had the cement legs where I was wondering if I could get up my stairs or should just sleep on the living room couch. Ice baths after a long run are a hideous way to spend 10 minutes, but they did help me recover. Also, take care of your IT band. Foam rolling most days will keep you supple so you can keep running. (Don't think you don't have that problem just because you don't have it yet--I was fine for my first two marathons, after that it plagued me constantly.) Good luck!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    I think you would be ready to make the jump to a full marathon next year. Training obviously doesn't get any easier with the full, but I don't think it is much of a jump from training for a half. I remember my first 16 miler. It was brutal. Then the next week I ran another 16 miler and it seemed a little easier. Then the next week I ran another 16 miler and it seemed even easier. Then the next week when I reached mile 16 of my first 18 miler, I felt great! I think you should be fine for LA 2012. And regarding recovery, I've always read that it is best to take the day before and day after a long run off. This is what I do and it works for me. After those higher mileage runs, my legs feel like concrete for 3-4 days, but you just push through and by the weekend, you're ready to go long again.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Thanks everyone! Lots of great advice lots to think about!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You definitely have the base right now to train for a marathon. I ran my first this past spring and the training really wasn't bad at all.