When trying to conceive....

Options

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time conceiving .. it took me 3 years and just when I was going to give up .. "SURPRISE!" ..

When I found out I was pregnant there wasn't anything I wouldn't give up to have a happy healthy baby. I gave up caffeine, soda, coffee, added sugar, added salt, chile, gassy foods.
    I did have natural cravings and I gave into those, like watermelon, grapes, lean chicken and turkey.. While my hubby wanted Weinerschnitzel.. haha.. I was never addicted to drugs or cigs but I did give up ALL alcohol. (even though I only drank a glass every 3 months).
    I ate healthy and exercised.. nothing bouncy, just lots of walking and swimming. I think I was at my healthiest during my pregnancy and I wish I was that healthy today.. and I will be.. soon! :happy:

I wish you success and welcome to Happy Parenthood! :flowerforyou:
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Stress is BAD for reproductive cycle. I would just live your life, enjoy it, and RELAX.

I actually hate that couples say they are "trying" to get pregnant. Technically any time people are not protecting, they are "trying - maybe not on purpose, but they are "trying".

I'm in the medical field and people get pregnant all the time - even high as a kite on drugs and/or on "the pill"! So what you "should" and "shouldn't" do when you're trying - the only thing I think you "should" do is continue in a healthy life style (all things in moderation), stay active, and "pull the goalie" (referring to whatever form of birth control you use).

When my guy and I decide to extend our family of 2, we'll be pulling the goalie for 2 years and going about our lives. IF for some reason I don't get pregnant during that time, we'll look into other options - like adoption! (Being adopted myself, I'm really excited about the possibility!)

The US has a LOT of restrictions on pregnant women that the rest of the world doesn't use. Sure, we have healthy kids, but so do Japan (and they eat sushi all the time) and France (where wine is a staple w/ meals). So my vote is for "all things in moderation" just like you're living now. Too much of anything is bad for your body, so hang in there.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Don't worry....that's the biggest issue. I was 18 when I conceived and had my daughter. Have sex and stress less. After you become pregnant worry about your intake of alcohol, caffeine, or other substances. Don't stop what you normally do just to conceive...it'll only make you stress out more.
    Don't change your schedule...your body is used to it...if you do ATV or such...it's no big deal. Dear Lord, I was moving furniture a day before I went into labor. I ran, worked out, and did everything that I was used to doing while pregnant that I did when I wasn't. My only consession was switching to decaf coffee. I didn't drink or injest anything harmful. For that matter I stopped being vegan and went vegetarian because my body (fetus) was craving more protein. Listen to your body...do what works for you and do not focus on the negative aspects of trying to conceive. Also, if you can't....please consider the alteranatives...my daughter would have been put up for adoption if I hadn't protested it. Good luck....sending baby wishes and vibes your way!
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    :drinker: SEX!! LOTS OF SEX!!! Did I mention....SEX....worked wonders for me
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    :drinker: SEX!! LOTS OF SEX!!! Did I mention....SEX....worked wonders for me

^^^Yep, that should do it!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Coffee and Miscarriage
    Recent studies have focused on the effects of coffee intake during pregnancy. A large-scale Danish study polled more than 80,000 pregnant women regarding their coffee intake. This study found that women who drank large amounts of coffee during pregnancy were more likely to experience a miscarriage. Women who drank more than 2 cups of coffee a day had a slightly increased risk of miscarriage, while those that drank 8 or more cups experienced a 59% increase. This is why it is so important to watch your caffeine intake during pregnancy.

In the two years leading up to pregnancy.

Here's the exact quote: "Experts from the Danish Cancer Society compared the number of miscarriages among women who drank only small quantities of caffeine in the two years prior to pregnancy to those who drank one or more large cups a day"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-204205/Miscarriage-coffee-link.html#ixzz1TzArHwSL

There was another study that linked coffee with birth defects, but the problem with that one is most of the participants were also smokers.

That being said, it's a good idea to limit caffeine intake during pregnancy as it will raise your baby's heart rate and make the baby super active, mostly because the little guy/girl won't be able to process it as effectively.

So, um... yeah. *hops off soap box*
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    yes caffeine in large amounts while pregnant is bad, but I do not agree that it's a huge factor in m/c, I mean they have said that pretty much every leads to a miscarriage when bottom line is that 9 of 10 m/c have something to do with a chemical inbalance in the body and most of the time your body knows something would be wrong with the pregnancy and ends it.

we did a ton of research and talked to a ton of dr's while pregnant with my first because i was told I could never had kids and if i did get pregnant i would m/c before i even found out. because my progesterone levels were so bad.

so when i got pregnant with my oldest i freaked out and found out as much as i could, they put me on progesterone as a precaution just in case and i had a perfect pregnancy and had another one shortly after that as well.

so most m/c have nothing to do with how much caffeine a person drank before they even knew they were pregnant.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    Back in olden times people just had sex. They pretty much had to go on about their normal business of working (often strenuously), riding horses, scrubbing the floors and beating their laundry against rocks.

And once they got knocked up they still had to go about their business of not having our modern, coddled, worry-wart lives.

Unless you have a SPECIFIC medical reason to not do something - carry on with your life. And copulate. A lot.

ETA: I was a professional horseback rider until I was in my 7th month of pregnancy - with the blessings of my doctor.

Yes, this^. :-) You don't want to take up motocross racing or running after you become preggers, but anything your body was already accustomed to doing beforehand is safe until it's no longer comfortable to do so.
  • AJDL
    AJDL Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Both of my pregnancies were surprises. I'm not a big drinker, maybe 1 drink every 3-5 months. I eat healthy, When my 1st was 2, I exercised hard to lose the weight from that pregancy, lost 15 pounds, then got pregnant- figures! I still was exercising pretty hard in the begining of my 2nd pregnancy(didn't know yet). So, as long as you aren't too crazy, keep doing what you do. You can always make a few changes when you find out you are carrying a precious angel.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I thought all you had to do was have lots of sex. Clearly, I didn't realise it was so complicated.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!
  • frg4bama
    frg4bama Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well, I was in the TTC mode for over 8 years, we ended up having to use IVF to get pregnant, so I feel that I am an expert in this dept. I agree with what everyone is saying about not getting stressed out. I can tell you that starting prenatals is a good idea and it is best to avoid things that you would avoid if you are pregnant. (alcohol & caffeine) start being AWARE of how much you consume and just try and do less each week. Don't make it a huge deal-- You are welcome to PM any questions, trust me I have heard everything-
  • christina3323
    Options
    Have sex and then stand on your heard or have your partner hold you up by you ankles...hold this position for 10 min. Then since and repeat....but SAVE THE BEER you are gonna need it after the kid arrives....lots of it :)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    A lot of women get into charting. Ovulation, fertile days, etc.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs while TTC. I started my healthy journey as a part of upping my chances to conceive. 40lbs and a positive OPK test later Here I am 5 weeks pregnant! The only thing I really changed, was I didn't work out as hard in the 2 Week Wait (the 2 weeks between ovulation and my next period) cause I always feared that if I an egg get fertilized crunches and things like that would stop it from implanting or undo implantation. I know so many people told me not to stress,and not to focus on it, and I can say OPKs do help so you know when you are ovulating. So many people say don't stress,make it fun, ect, but I will be the first to admit, not to focus on the idea that all you want is 9 months from now to hold a baby in your arms, it kind of starts to take over your mind if it doesn't happen right away. Hubby and I have been trying for over a year and it's this past month that I did my first OPK and we conceived. There was crying, and frustration, and hurt, and fear, and doubt, and then there were times of "I don't even care", it's an emotional roller coaster. But as long as you have friend sand family to keep you stable,you should be good.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Have sex and then stand on your heard or have your partner hold you up by you ankles...hold this position for 10 min. Then since and repeat....but SAVE THE BEER you are gonna need it after the kid arrives....lots of it :)

Oh my gosh!!! I love this!!! LOL I believe there is a name for that too!! LOL
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I thought all you had to do was have lots of sex. Clearly, I didn't realise it was so complicated.
    :laugh: My guess is you've never had to try for any length of time?

First of all - yay for you OP!!! I'd like to invite you (any ANYONE who is TTC) to a group called Fit For Future Families (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305495-fit-for-future-families-august-2011?page=2).

Here's the stitch: Unless you have PCOS or another reason to alter your lifestyle or diet while TTC, don't worry about it. If you want a drink, have a drink. If you want to go on the ATV - go! It will cause you undo stress to worry about everything, and if it take awhile for you to conceive you'll end up resenting the whole process if you continually changed your life each month and get no results.

The science behind it: the baby will not be sharing your bloodstream until the placenta takes over - which isn't until AT LEAST 4.5 weeks (some docs will even say 8 to 10 depending on the research the pay attention to). Since implantation happens between 7 and 14 days after conception (or 3-4 weeks in pregnancy time-line) you'll be fine until you notice your period is late and test. Until the placenta take over, the baby gets nourishment from the yolk sac that develops along side the amniotic sac (and will be absorbed once it is no longer needed).

The only things that you do need to do to give the baby the best health possible (and I'm not saying this applies to you personally, just women in general) is to stop using street drugs when you are trying. They stay in your system long after use (despite what any dealer or teenage know-it-all might say, lol).

As for prenatal vitamins - it is BEST to take those before you get pregnant. Here's why: folic acid is important to prevent neural tube defects in the baby - but those are the first things that start forming after conception - so by the time you realize you are pregnant the MAIN (not only) need for folic acid may have already passed by. If you find that the pills make you feel ill (a lot of women do) cut them in 1/2 and take one 1/2 in the morning and the other with supper (your body will also absorb more this way).

Good luck to you!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Jeez. First, calm down. Stress is THE worst thing for TTC! Just take prenatals (w/DHA if possible).

Take it from me, can do pretty much anything knocked up. This is coming from a woman who was active duty Marine and continued on as normal while I kept my first pregnancy under wraps for 8 weeks and my second for 12 weeks. Then I usually disregarded the standard medical "recommendations" (they really are optional if your pregnancy is healthy/uncomplicated, docs will waive ANYTHING). I worked 24hr standing shifts at a prison every 2-3 days for the first 2 tris, I remember more than a few shifts where the guys took all the racks and I had to sleep my 2hr block on the floor 8mos preggo, inmates would be sanding and painting walls where there was no ventilation, I ran 3 miles MWF at at 26-28min pace until my 5th month each time until my round ligaments strained, I went to the rifle range where I humped with a pack, handled CLP & ammo, had timed firing drills where I'd have to quickly drop from standing to prone on gravel (pretty much drop to knees, flop on baby bump and land on elbows), hoisted HEAVY *kitten* targets by myself... in freezing Febuary sleet, the list goes on and on. I followed the European model of 1-2 glasses of wine/week after the first trimester even. So trust me, you can relax. Most miscarriages happen due to fatal unavoidable chromosomal abnormalities (that odds are, may never repeat again in most cases) and nothing you do or don't do will stop nature from taking it's due course. Live your life for heaven's sakes!

My biggest pet peeve is when healthy women with uncomplicated pregnancies start acting like invalids and set themselves up for serious post-partum weight retention. By staying fit and active, you'll also make labor MUCH easier on yourself! Take my word on it, I stayed active as hell and my labor times from admission to delivery were 4hrs, 90min and 80min, respectively ;)

(edited to add: previous poster was dead on about the "not shared bloodstream until 6wks thing", I would know, because my anti-seizure med took about that long to wean off once I knew I was preggo; after we shared our bloodstream, the drug had a high risk of causing cleft palate)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Have an orgasm after he does. Also about giving all the stuff up, yes give up the toxic stuff, it is only 10 months of your life. I dont understand the women that dont care, drink, do drugs, eat unhealthy and smoke and then have a child with problems that they will have to take care of for the rest of their lives because of a defect caused by the bad behavior of the mom. Of course some times it just happens but it just makes sense to try to prevent and make a healthy baby.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Jeez. First, calm down. Stress is THE worst thing for TTC! Just take prenatals (w/DHA if possible).

LOL Yup....I glad I posted this topic!! Calm down is right!! Other people are making me paranoid! LOL Im glad to hear that there are so many other women...who just had fun with it and didn't bring their lives to screeching halt!!

You are a strong woman by the way :)