When you overeat when does the weight gain show?

Options
If you overeat for a few days does the weight gain show up a few days later? I think I've been noticing this for myself, on days that I haven't had time to log and I've perhaps eaten a little more, that I see a weight gain of 1-2 lbs a few days LATER. Does this make since and does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I think for most people it happens within a few days just because overeating tends to include a lot of carbs and sodium that make you retain extra water. it's pretty hard to overeat by 10k calories and gain 3 pounds of fat in 3 days. Maybe 1 pound of fat, but more than that would have to be a massive binge.
  • Clw927
    Clw927 Posts: 26
    Options
    I notice it within the next day or so... :( so I immediately know I have been BAD! LOL!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I could speculate from my own experience that it would take a few days. Though after I eat up everything on a 'good' day, I usually see a difference that very night, which is usually weight in food alone. The next morning i am up by a pound and by the following day the scale will show another 1-2 lb gain. So, I say that all of that isn't fat. It can't possibly be. Must be water weight. If you get back on track, it will fall off over the next few days.
  • avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    yep! weight gain from overeating usually shows about 2 -3 days later for me. be careful about overeating u are just punishing urself, being ur own worst enemy. if u can't log ur meals on mfp, just write it down and add the calories on paper. there is usually some sort of caloric information on the foods we eat or some indication as to how many calories u've eaten. keep a pad and pen in ur purse for just such an occasion. don't be mean to ur body, it loves u and wants u to love it back! :wink:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Even if I do overheat..I still log everything. I had a bad Thursday,Friday,Saturday last week..and did overeat. I weighed myself on Monday and went from 151.4 on Friday to 151.7 on Monday..However..I worked out Monday and Tuesday..did not eat all the deficit calories..and today..I weigh 150..so thinking the majority of weight was from the sodium..flushed it right out..
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about this as well. I always phrased it as "How long does it take for my body to turn food into fat?" but I haven't found a scientific answer. I hope there is one.
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks eveyone for the replies! Yeah - I honestly was side-tracked and didn't worry much bc I was eating healthy and not over-eating much at all - so if I went over it couldn't have been by much. I had lost a more pounds than normal weight loss for me the last few weeks and then my weight just bounced back up some...grrrrr. So, I am still averaging a weight loss of abt 4 lbs this past mo. but it is so frustrating to see it bounce back some. I'm mostly terrified of when i get to my goal weight it all creeping back on me. There are tons of great success stories on mfp - but I always wonder how often ppl keep all the weight off...lol I'm not always so pessimistic. Just worried. ;) nehoo, ty!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I know I see it within a day or two but I' feel' it almost immediately by that bloated feeling (& the guilt ;-) )