I don't know how to run.

Options
No, really, I don't. I can "run".... but it's kind of like when you jog in place. My feet are pretty much right next to each other and I go forward a little bit... it's just really slow. It's definitely more of a jog than a RUN. I can "run" forever like that. But it doesn't really make me tired or feel like it's working anything, and I sure as heck don't look like any of the other runners on the trail.

So, how can I learn to run! Do I just try to move my feet more apart? I kind of want to learn just don't know how.

Yeah, weird post, I know, haha.

Replies

• s_cheryl
    s_cheryl Posts: 18
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but I know in my area (Toronto) there are running clinics that you can sign up for. There are ones run by local community centres and by sports stores as well. I did one last year run by a store called The Running Room and it was great. They teach everything from proper nutrition/hydration to equipment to stride and timing...very informative. Perhaps something like that may help you!
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    BUMP!!!
    I have to admit I am the same way. But I just run out of steam really quick! I would love to see everyone's advice!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I second a running clinic! We all know how to run instinctively... we did it as children with no issues, and if someone were coming after us we'd surely know how to do it... but sometimes it's hard to get back into that mentality without a little help. :) Best of luck!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Increase your tempo and your stride. If you typically take a foot stride at 1 per sec take a foot and fourth stride at .5 sec. rinse and repeat.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. I asked my trainers at the gym I go to for some advice, and they helped! It's different for each person though. I say try to talk to an avid runner, or a trainer if possible. :)
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, except I know how to run, just not how to breathe while running.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Running is also a lot about what is happening with your arms and torso not just your legs and feet. When you set out to run, make sure to swing your arms, which will also help your speed, and propel your torso forward. It is very natural, you'll see. If you want to practice this sport, I'd recommend a running coach to watch your form and give you workouts to build your endurance and speed. Of course you know how to run! You just need to remember how =D
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I don't run - never could. I dont' think everyone is built for speed. I'm the slowest speed walker in the free world. I'll be interested in replies here, to see if I can 'learn' to run or at least jog
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Take longer strides and/or move your feet faster. Lean forward to help pull you forward. A shorter, faster stride is probably better so you aren't landing on your heels.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Go to a store where they can see how your foot strikes. Get you some GOOD RUNNING SHOES - I recommend the Brooks brand because thats what marathon runners use and I have a pair of Brooks Ghost 4's and they are amazing!!!
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Running is also a lot about what is happening with your arms and torso not just your legs and feet. When you set out to run, make sure to swing your arms, which will also help your speed, and propel your torso forward. It is very natural, you'll see. If you want to practice this sport, I'd recommend a running coach to watch your form and give you workouts to build your endurance and speed. Of course you know how to run! You just need to remember how =D

This! She's right--it's not just about your legs...you've got to use your arms and lean your torso forward....NOT crazy forward like you're about to fall forward and not so much that your legs are trying to catch up to the rest of your body...just so there's less resistance when you're actually moving forward. You'll get the hang of it--it's easy right off the bat, but you will learn to enjoy it. :) I LOVE running--it's the only thing that I can do anywhere, anytime...all I need is shoes (well, and a good sports bra!)
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My sister always said to try and kick myself in the butt while I run! :laugh:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new at this running stuff but he way I understand it, if you're shooting for endurance (long distance runs) a short stride is perfectly fine. You can still increase your speed a bit with a short stride, I've done it! Just lengthen your stride slightly and put more energy behind it. You might not get much faster than a 11 or 12 minute mile with a short stride but that's not bad in my book!

As far as the breathing question that someone else posted, try timing your breathing with your strides. I usually inhale on two steps and exhale on the next two steps, nice even breathing. Sometimes if I feel like I can't catch my breath I exhale sharply to really empty my lungs out and that seems to help get eveything back in rhythm. Also, you may just be going too fast if you can't breathe well. Try slowing down a bit and see if that helps.
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new at this running stuff but he way I understand it, if you're shooting for endurance (long distance runs) a short stride is perfectly fine. You can still increase your speed a bit with a short stride, I've done it! Just lengthen your stride slightly and put more energy behind it. You might not get much faster than a 11 or 12 minute mile with a short stride but that's not bad in my book!

As far as the breathing question that someone else posted, try timing your breathing with your strides. I usually inhale on two steps and exhale on the next two steps, nice even breathing. Sometimes if I feel like I can't catch my breath I exhale sharply to really empty my lungs out and that seems to help get eveything back in rhythm. Also, you may just be going too fast if you can't breathe well. Try slowing down a bit and see if that helps.

Thanks for the breathing tip!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Go to a store where they can see how your foot strikes. Get you some GOOD RUNNING SHOES - I recommend the Brooks brand because thats what marathon runners use and I have a pair of Brooks Ghost 4's and they are amazing!!!

Not all marathoners wear Brooks.... I wear Asics, and my friend wears Mizuno. :bigsmile: It's all very individual based on your foot.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

Not all marathoners wear Brooks.... I wear Asics, and my friend wears Mizuno. :bigsmile: It's all very individual based on your foot.

+1 on that. I wear Asics and Brooks and switch back and forth.

Running clinic I suppose. I never have had the issue of not knowing how to run, but your local running store probably has clinics - mine has form clinics, drill clinics and group runs...so maybe try and get in on something like that. I
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No, really, I don't. I can "run".... but it's kind of like when you jog in place. My feet are pretty much right next to each other and I go forward a little bit... it's just really slow. It's definitely more of a jog than a RUN. I can "run" forever like that. But it doesn't really make me tired or feel like it's working anything, and I sure as heck don't look like any of the other runners on the trail.

So, how can I learn to run! Do I just try to move my feet more apart? I kind of want to learn just don't know how.

Yeah, weird post, I know, haha.

Not weird cause I feel the same way. I do walk/jog intervals because I can't really run either. Interesting suggestions.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    If I'm imagining what you've described about your run, you'd probably help yourself a lot by focusing on bringing up your knees. I've seen a lot of people who "run" without really bending their knees and your description sounds similar. Bend your knees, bring them up a bit (don't over-exaggerate it though) and focus on a longer stride.

Hope that helps.