Whats the point of drinking water?!

Options
2»

Replies

• dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking 8 cups of water for the past 3 days but whats the point if every few minutes i have to use the restroom?!

Above comments are great and congrats to you on asking the question. So many people back off drinking their minimum 8 servings of 8 oz glass water (that's a total of 64 oz). For many people, and I, have found out that 128 oz is much better. That's a gallon of water per day.

Key points to remember, you body will become accustomed to the water, we promise. If you are going to the restroom too often, you might reconsider drinking caffeinated drinks (e.g. tea, coffee, soda-pop, etc.)

The water in your body is incredibly good for you and is [bold] crucial for metabolism [/bold].

Let's put our geek hats on for a sec and here's a link that helps explain the relationship of water with metabolism....deals with the Kreb Cycle (a.k.a Citric Acid Cycle). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

Hope that helps.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fish tank that hasn't been cleaned in a really, really, really long time? Basically, drinking water keeps your body from becoming the human equivalent.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Seriously though....our body needs it. It's good for us. There are too many benefits to list.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's a conspiracy set forth originating from the government because they are in tight with water companies. They want you to believe that you need water to survive so you have to pay your water bill and buy bottled water. That creates revenue for the water companies and in turn, they pay more tax to the government. Seriously, you can't escape Big Brother.

LOL... but now you don't NEED to buy bottled water, you can buy a filter for your sink or your pitcher or your four-reusable-bottle contraption-device! Bottles are baaad! Choking Mother Earth with a necklace of wasted plastic!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    What's the point of eating if I'm just going to take a *kitten* every 10-12 hours?

Right?
    :huh:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I have a catheter so I don't have to get up and go to the bathroom. It's awesome. Next week I'm getting a colostomy bag, too. I plan to name it "Phil".

Phil McRotch?
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Messed up my post. :grumble:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Screw water. Drink Brawndo. It's got electrolytes. After you drink this, you will only go to the toilet once. And then you will crush it into a fine powder. Toilet eliminated.
    brawndo.jpg
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I have a catheter so I don't have to get up and go to the bathroom. It's awesome. Next week I'm getting a colostomy bag, too. I plan to name it "Phil".

Phil McRotch?

Phil McCracken
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Do you drink a lot of other things besides the water? The "8 glasses of water a day" thing is mostly myth. There has never been a scientific study done to pinpoint an exact amount of water needed per day. Also, everything you drink is mostly water. Coffee, tea, and soda? About 90% water. The main point is to stay hydrated. If you drink say two cups of coffee, and then try to drink a lot of water on top of that, that could be overkill for you. So drink 2 glasses less water, since the coffee makes up for it.

Seriously, contrary to popular belief in the weight loss industry, caffeinated beverages do NOT dehydrate you. Even alcohol in moderation will not dehydrate you (c'mon, beer is 80-90% water, and back in the 1700's, people drank beer almost constantly, as the alcohol killed any bacteria in the water, since water filtration hadn't been invented yet, and they weren't running around constantly dehydrated.) The main issue with most caffeinated beverages are the ridiculous amounts of sugar and fat that people consume with them (having that coffee with a pile of sugar and cream, not so good. Black coffee, extremely healthy.)
    So don't necessarily get too hung up on drinking EXTRA water in addition to other things you drink. It's a balancing process.

Also, eat enough fruits and vegetables with high water contents, you will get a good amount of water that way also.

Me personally, I drink close to a gallon of water a day, but I also don't drink anything else, beyond an occasional diet soda or alcoholic beverage (usually mixed together anyway. :drinker: )
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    water is delicious!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Because life in the toilet is much more interesting than life outside of the toilet.

Have you ever actually called any of the phone numbers written on the wall?

.... you should defnatly try that sometime.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Didn't you drink water before?

Rarely to be honest. Maybe 3 glasses per day.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i also live in the bathroom. it will help your body
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options

Before the lifestyle change and getting back into exercising I too rarely drank water. Really, I rarely drank anything on week days. Something with lunch (usually water) and something with dinner (soda, beer, gatorade, lemonade), sometimes a coffee in the morning. Maybe an evening beverage (again, alcohol). Now I drink 10-14 cups of water a day and hardly have anything but water. Maybe a cup of milk or some OJ once or twice a week. Maybe 2 beers a week. The rest is all water.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Before the lifestyle change and getting back into exercising I too rarely drank water. Really, I rarely drank anything on week days. Something with lunch (usually water) and something with dinner (soda, beer, gatorade, lemonade), sometimes a coffee in the morning. Maybe an evening beverage (again, alcohol). Now I drink 10-14 cups of water a day and hardly have anything but water. Maybe a cup of milk or some OJ once or twice a week. Maybe 2 beers a week. The rest is all water.

Two beers/week? I envy your restraint sir.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options

That there is funny!! I don't care who you are....

But seriously, your answer is already been stated many times here. It will slow down after a couple of weeks or so. It did for me.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Screw water. Drink Brawndo. It's got electrolytes. After you drink this, you will only go to the toilet once. And then you will crush it into a fine powder. Toilet eliminated.
    brawndo.jpg

FTW!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Because dehydration sucks!!

It does...you feel tired/sleepy, thirsty, get headaches, dizzy, dry mouth, hair and skin look like hell, and when it's severe, you may be confused, begin vomiting, cramping and lose consiousness.

The first sign is thirst and the rest start showing up when you've lost 2% of your body fluids. The idea of drinking frequently is to avoid even the beginnings of dehydration.

So drink up!
    http://www.symptomsofdehydration.com/