Going to a restaurant

Options
Any generally healthier options? I'm not sure where I'm going yet, but can you guys offer any advice as to what I should eat or what to definitely stay away from?

Replies

• CY99
    CY99 Posts: 1
    Options
    Definitely stay away from pastas and bread. Chicken or fish is usually a better bet for meat, but look for hidden calories like cheese and butter. It is always good to let your waiter know that you are on a special diet and would like things to be prepared as healthy as possible, and to please let the cook know to use butter, etc. as little as possible or not at all. Don't get soda. Water is best, but next would be unsweetened iced tea. Watch out for appetizers. If at a place that gives you complimentary bread or chips you can ask them ahead of time not to bring them. If your company wants them and you can't resist, try breaking the chips or bread into smaller pieces and eat slowly. This will help drag it out until your meal comes. Also, you can ask for a to go container when you get there so that you can put part of your over-sized meal away before you start eating. Hope those tips help! :)
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Gravitate towards 'grilled' options, and avoid options cooked in any kind of cream sauce or sautee'd in butter. Start with a salad, and opt for a light vinaigrette dressing as opposed to a creamy dressing. Don't eat the bread if they give you bread before the meal.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    stay away from creams and anything in oil. ask for your dish grilled
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    get plain vegetables as your side instead of fries!!!!! I love doing this now, makes me look super healthy compared to my fiance..HA!

Once you find out where you're going do some research!!!!! I always bug my friends or fiance about where we're going so I can look at the nutritional facts and pick out some meals that work with the rest of my day.. Like tonight I'm going out with 2 friends and one girl chose Chili's... omg worst sodum levels ever! But I did research, found the items lower in sodium and calories that sounds good to me. I found 2 actually, so will decide when I get there.

Only eat half your meal if it is high in calories. Make sure you have enough calories and fat grams and sugar grams or whatever it is you personally keep an eye on. Stick with water. And try to get a workout in! This should be a lifestyle not a diet so going out to restaurants will always be part of your life. Just make good choices :):)

Enjoy!