need help with eating out...

Where do you eat?? In or out? Fast or slow?:tongue:

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Trying to eat in every meal and only eat out once a week.
    As for speed.. I'm on vacation so it's easier to sit and enjoy instead of gobble down food and rush, rush, rush!

I'm planning on sticking to this when I return to work.. but it'll be a difficult mission. :wink:
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    wherever I go, I always check online nutrition information first.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    It doesn't matter if I eat fast food or eat at a sit down place. I usually will look at their website a head of time so I know what I can have. I also order all dressings on the side and no mayo etc on anything. I have learned that a sqeeze of a lemon, lime or orange can be just as good as those fattening dressings.

I also try to east my salads and protein first and only a little carbs.

Good luck!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    That sounded dirty....
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Eat In as often as you can but when you eat out, pick a healthier place and look at the menu the day before and pick out your meal in advance based on the nutritional info that most places provide on their website. If you are going to a sandwich place for example, cut out the cheese and mayo and opt for a lean meat, mustard and lettuce. Always pick water over soda and wheat over white bread. If you are headed for a night out on the town at a sit down place, same rules apply. View the menu and nutritional info in advance and pick the low calorie option. Stay away from alcohol, sodas and fruity beverages.
  • Try to start with a water and salad with low-fat/calorie dressing like a vinagrette. Then when your main dish comes request a "to-go" box and put half of the portion served to you in the box (out of site - out of mind). You'' be so full on water and salad that by the time the main dish comes eatting only half is sure to satisfy.

Some restaurants may offer half portions so you may not have to take half your meal home.

**Another tip - Alcoholic beverages are loaded with sugar and calories so if you want to indulge try to enjoy just one.

I completely understand your anxiety about eatting out - I feel guilty everytime we go out too. If you find that you over-indulge, just be sure to add some extra cardio during your next work out. You can't always deprive yourself of all that is "sinful" :)
  • wherever I go, I always check online nutrition information first.
    Yep! Definitely do this. I always do better when I plan and log what I'm going to eat before I go. Then there's no question. For example, we went to Chili's Monday evening. I had the chicken fajitas with corn tortillas instead of flour AND put back 1/2 of it in a to-go box before I started eating. I went to Taco Cabana last night and had only 2 chicken flautas, barracho beans, rice, & 3 oz. guacamole. No sourcream or flour tortillas or chips. I stayed within my calories both days! People thought I had such strong will-power. HA! It was my plan, so all I did was follow it. No will power needed. :)
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    I'm starting to feel like the devil on the shoulder here, but I go out very rarely so when I do I don't worry about it. Being in the habit of eating healthy already steers me away from the worst things on the menu,but as for the rest, I enjoy. Going off the plan for one meal isn't going to mean anything in the long term scheme of things.

I just got a got a great deal for my 20th wedding anniversary dinner at Craft, Tom Colliccio's restaurant in Los Angeles. 6 courses with wine pairings for 30% off. I am going to enjoy every bite. Then spend twice as much time at the gym the next day.

But I don't eat out very often.
  • vallejos6
    vallejos6 Posts: 146 Member
    Hubby and I double team it when we go out for dinner, usually one of us orders an entree we'd both enjoy, then the other orders a side salad and we both eat half the entree with half the salad. Then, we order desert and both take a couple bites and we're done.. we've splurged, without totally blowing it!

~~Veronica
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    everynow and then I get in a spot where fastfood is all I have for a choice due to time and location.

KFC- Grilled Chicken Fillet or Original Recipe Fillet (140 or 200 calories+lots of protein)
    Kids meals are around 500 calories.
    Subway of course.

Sit-down places:

Applebees has under 550 meals and Weight Watcher meals that fit perfect in most peoples nutrition plans.

Otherwise go with a meal that has either steak or skinless chicken breast as the main item. Most places have a steak, potato and veggie type of meal. Avoid ones with sauces and breading, that's where the calories are. Most 5oz steak dinners with veggies will come in around 500 calories or so.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

Usually I head downtown and linger around certain spots until I'm drawn to one place in particular. Then, I kinda circle around a bit just to make sure that's the place I wanna go. I'll camp out in front for a bit, peeking in every now and then to get a sense of the atmosphere. Once it feels right, I'll slowly make my way in and take my time to figure out what I wanna eat. Then once I've decided, I'll get down like a champ.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Another misleading thread title...
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Why....need a lesson?? Im full of knowledge.....fast or slow depends on how wet it is outside
  • Where do you eat?? In or out? Fast or slow?:tongue:

Usually I head downtown and linger around certain spots until I'm drawn to one place in particular. Then, I kinda circle around a bit just to make sure that's the place I wanna go. I'll camp out in front for a bit, peeking in every now and then to get a sense of the atmosphere. Once it feels right, I'll slowly make my way in and take my time to figure out what I wanna eat. Then once I've decided, I'll get down like a champ.

HAhahahaha perfect response.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member

Too easy. Not going there.....

At the Y!!!
    Dammit, I went there.
  • Why....need a lesson?? Im full of knowledge.....fast or slow depends on how wet it is outside

Maybe you can rate me!
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    First, LOL.
    Second, I assume we are talking about eating food outside of home... as in fast food.

I do eat my food out of home pretty often because I have not yet mastered the cooking on weekends for week yet. So at the moment I am eating Jimmy Johns turkey on wheat and taking off half the bread.
    I often eat a grilled chicken sandwhich, KFC grilled chicken breast or taco bell chicken fresco tacos.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

HAhahahaha perfect response.

Just giving an honest summary of the routine. :happy:
  • Sometimes I dive in head first!

But if its a fish fry, im out!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    I feel so much better that people had the same reaction I did.