Cocnut oil for energy

Options
Does anyone use cocnut oil before they work out for energy. I read to eat 2 tsp (or was it tbs) for energy that the medium chain fats burn quickly.

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I have heard that natural nut oils are great for energy. I haven't done it myself, but there are a handful that I know who have. They seem to like it. Frequently, I might add.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    BUMP -- would love to know!!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I have no opinion on this, but googled it once I read your post. Just thought I'd throw this tidbit out:

The American Heart Association's Position

Where does the American Heart Association weigh in on coconut oil as an aid to weight loss? "I would be very pessimistic about this, says Robert Eckel, MD, the Association's spokesman on nutrition. He says he's concerned about the effects of high levels of saturated fat. "This is going to be a cholesterol-raising diet."

He says he also doubts claims that coconut oil can boost metabolism. "People have looked in the past as to whether MCTs have thermogenic properties, and I think the answer is pretty well negative. Generally, saturated fats tend not to be as well [metabolized], so if it does have any ability to promote heat generation, it's going to be minimal."

Eckel says coconut oil's effect on metabolism, if any, is modest compared with the potential for raising overall cholesterol and particularly "bad" LDL cholesterol. "Ingesting coconut oil for a short period of time will not do harm, but I'm concerned about the long haul."

(Source: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52214)
  • Arwen1922
    Arwen1922 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    But the Am Heart *kitten* does not mention the fact the they are medium chain fats and get metabolized different in the body. The colesterol in these fats get burned not stored.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I have heard that natural nut oils are great for energy. I haven't done it myself, but there are a handful that I know who have. They seem to like it. Frequently, I might add.

i did hear it was a bit on the salty side tho.....
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    why am I the ONLY one being 12 years old in my mind that sees the spelling error??!!! where's freckle face when you need her?

*pulls head out of dirty garbage and focuses on work again*
  • anubis609
    Options

Sometimes a bit of pineapple helps with the taste. I haven't had any complaints when I mix it for those who ingest it.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    well, and there it is ...
  • anubis609
    Options
    why am I the ONLY one being 12 years old in my mind that sees the spelling error??!!! where's freckle face when you need her?

*pulls head out of dirty garbage and focuses on work again*

You haven't been looking at my comments for this thread, that's why. Shame on you, CM. :angry: :happy:
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I eat at least one tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil by itself every day. I don't do it for weight loss purposes and I can't tell you if it works in that way. I can say that since I've added it to my diet, I feel better. I use it all the time, and I love it. (I'm on a more paleo style diet.)
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    yours wasnt there i swear!!! :D i HEART the crap outta you!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    But the Am Heart *kitten* does not mention the fact the they are medium chain fats and get metabolized different in the body. The colesterol in these fats get burned not stored.

Like I said, I have no opinion and just saw that in an article about the use of coconut oil. Personally, I trust the opinion of the American Heart Association and MDs when it comes to my long-term health, and if its long-term effects are detrimental to maintaining a healthy cholesterol, I'd be hesitant. But that's just my opinion. I was just sharing what a reputable medical source found.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    oh christ...im just slow as balls today...*sigh*
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Sometimes a bit of pineapple helps with the taste. I haven't had any complaints when I mix it for those who ingest it.

ROTFL

I use Coconut Manna sometimes, which is basically all of the coconut (flesh, oils and all) made into a butter. It's delicious with fruit and a good source of all of coconuts benefits.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I just...this. It made me laugh. Really hard. Thanks.
  • anubis609
    Options

ROTFL

I use Coconut Manna sometimes, which is basically all of the coconut (flesh, oils and all) made into a butter. It's delicious with fruit and a good source of all of coconuts benefits.

That is a heavily churned cocnut. I'm sure it's as delicious as it sounds filling.