Swimming - why is it cardio rather than strength?

Options
Plowing through water is resistance, so I wondered why when I search for swimming in strength why all I find are weights, machines, and other circuit work? Thanks for your input.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think it considered cardio because it gets your heart rate up (if you're really swimming vs goofing around) and keeps it up. :)
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of it being more of one thing than another. It's a lot more cardio, but you can definitely still build the muscle doing it as well.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a cardio burn if you're doing laps.. But I did notice a little more definition in my arms because of swimming.. YAY FOR SUMMER!! :happy:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of it being more of one thing than another. It's a lot more cardio, but you can definitely still build the muscle doing it as well.

i agree. i think it's both, but more of cardio. kind of like jumping jacks, you have the resistance from your body weight but still it gets your heart rate going so i count it as cardio.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The more efficient you are at swimming, the less "strength" is involved. Form is key, and regardless of experience level, is always a cardio workout (in my opinion). :smile:
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The more efficient you are at swimming, the less "strength" is involved. Form is key, and regardless of experience level, is always a cardio workout (in my opinion). :smile:

Agreed. Much the same way running is cardio even up hills and in a strong headwind. Most people don't realize, but running is weight bearing. Ask any injured person who was restricted from doing weight bearing exercises.