A Cry For Help!

Options
I've tried many a diet/lifestyle change over the past few years, but joining My Fitness Pal really felt different. For once I seemed more motivated than with other programs, and I lost 13 pounds in the first 8 weeks. All of a sudden I'm feeling bored and discouraged. . .I'm working out, recording my foods, and it is just wearing on me. Yes, I've seen some results, but they're slowing down. I don't want to quit, I don't want to stop, but I feel like I just need some support. Last week I dealt with a very big problem at home, and I think that's when I started to feel this way. I need to get back on track and focus. Has anyone ever been through this? How did you get out of your funk and restart your motivation?

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Definitely been in your shoes!! Really, every time I've gotten started on fitness and had something road-block me, it's derailed me. This time I'm changing the way I think about diet/exercise. It isn't just something I'm doing to lose weight, it's changing my entire life. I know that I'm going to have to be active just about every single day, and make wise food choices the majority of the time from now on. Sometimes working out isn't fun, and other times I really just want a Big Mac, but then I remember that I want to be healthy and live a long life more. It's still a struggle, and I still have days where I just don't get it right, but someone once told me 'it's a marathon, not a race.'
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1. You're flipping adorable.
    2. You are sick of this. Happens with all good things. Jobs, exercise, diets, etc... any repetitious thing can get tedious. Perhaps finding some MFP'ers that you want to aspire to be like, follow their diaries and see if it gives you new ideas?
    3. Pull on your big girl panties and do it anyhow ;-)
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, I've felt the same way before every time I tried to lose weight. One thing I'm trying this time (too early to tell if it's working or not) is rather than thinking of this as something I'm "doing" (trying to lose weight, eat healthy, etc.), I'm thinking of this as something I AM. I AM healthy. I AM conscious of what I'm eating, because I AM a healthy person. I AM exercising, because I AM a healthy, fit person. Maybe by changing my thinking, I'll change the way I see this and take away the feeling of having to "do" something.

If that doesn't work, then I'll take @ sudoplog's advice and pull up my big girl panties and just do it. :)
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    Buy something fitness related. I get in funks too, but when I buy a new workout outfit or new running shoes, I get pumped up again. I just recently got a fitbit, so my motivation has really perked back up again!
  • notinvain
    notinvain Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes through this, especially if you haven't made it part of your lifestyle. You have to start thinking of it as taking care of yourself, not losing weight or fitting into jeans. It's got to become part of who you are. You are smart to find people who will support and encourage you. Start telling yourself that you are worth the effort and remember how good it feels when you are done. As for the diet, I know that's hard. I try to plan it all out in advance so I don't have to think about it, otherwise I get irritated. Plan one cheat meal, and only one, a week with the things you really want. Sometimes all the positive talk in the world won't help and you just have to suck it up and do it. That's ok too. Do for yourself, do it for someone you love, do it so you can have that cheat meal, whatever. Just don't quit. I'm on facebook, if you want to find me there. I have a few people that I am helping to stay on track and keeping myself on track as well. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001877686467
  • mycatas
    mycatas Posts: 20
    Options
    I totally felt the same on Monday. I had a houseguest (and fellow MFPer) here for Frontier Days last week and we ate out every day for lunch and dinner. I felt so awful when she left and I had to get back on track. Two days later I'm still craving blue cheese burgers.

I went for a long run on Monday morning to start the day off right. I think that if you find a way to start a day strong, even though you feel crappy, it's easier to stick with it throughout the day.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I am quite motivated by quotes so here you go.

The future depends on what we do with the present. -Gandi If you want to have a heathy future you need to live healthy today.

Energy and persistance conquer all things - Benjamin Franklin

If we did all things we are capable of we would astound ourselves. -Thomas Edison

Stick with it. You have already gone thru the hardest part. DON"T GIVE UP! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I stayed motivated by going public, not just here on MFP but on facebook. Having friends or family email me and tell me, "I'm working out now because I've seen how hard you work and I owe it to you"...that's what helps keep me going. I also have a group at www.facebook.com/moveitandloseit where we try to motivate, share our stories and we all do a Friday weekly weigh in to see who our "Biggest Loser" of the week is. That's also a great way to keep us going.
    Good luck to you on the rest of your journey and congrats on how far you've already come
  • jennyj09
    jennyj09 Posts: 80
    Options

The future depends on what we do with the present. -Gandi If you want to have a heathy future you need to live healthy today.

If we did all things we are capable of we would astound ourselves. -Thomas Edison

Stick with it. You have already gone thru the hardest part. DON"T GIVE UP! YOU CAN DO IT!

Another good quote I borrowed from a MFP Friend:
    ""I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday." "
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Another good quote I borrowed from a MFP Friend:
    ""I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday." "

And yet another good quote I have on my bulletin board, "A year from now you will wish you had started today!"

It is hard work. But you have to make a choice about what you want. For me... as an older parent... I want to be healthy for my kids and be here to see them grow up. I want them to be proud of me and see me as an inspiration. When I see them eating more fruits and veggies, I feel like I'm not only making a difference for me, but for them too. And every time I get discouraged or want to quit, I remind myself that this is a lifestyle change. If I want the end goal.... that keeps me moving forward and working harder. Sure... we all have bad days once in a while, but... it's how you react to them that is important.
  • flash3967
    Options
    Okay Melissa!!! You must NOT give up!!!! I know you what you were dealing with last week and you must not let yourself and goals and desires take second place. I know you are strong enough to handle all of lifes challenges and obstacles.
    When I saw you on Skype today, you really looked good. Please do not go backward!!! ( Or I will begin to cry ...)
    Your motivation got me to get on here and finally I am seeing results. ( Slowly) However, it is easy to get bored but you know you can do it! It just so much easier to eat the wrong things and not exercise. However, you were NOT happy and perhaps you need to re think and re-read your profile!!
    Is there anyone near you that can be YOUR support buddy?? also, remember how you were feeling without going to the gym! You were SOOOOooooo stressed out and were really a bundle of nerves.
    Try to come up with a motivating goal ( besides looking and feeling better) A goal that you give yourself! Perhaps a Mommy/daughter trip somewhere special or buying something that you might not treat yourself to. I know we all get into a rut at times. I feel like I am in a rut too. However, I just do not want to let myself down and give up. Please stay strong and call me anytime.
    Love, Mom
  • JAG48
    JAG48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey girlie! I know how you feel!! I gave up on Jillian Michaels because one- she was driving me crazy and two- I honestly got sooo bored of her stupid videos!! You look AMAZING and are sooo dedicated!!! Don't get down on yourself girlie! :) You are doing awesome!!!
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    just keep at it. u could do it. take it one day at a time