Steak?

Options
Hi everyone! I've always disliked steak until last Friday when out of desperation I decided to try my aunt's London broil and LOVED it! So now apparently I like steak. As long as it's well-done that is. :)

Since I am new to the steak world, I was wondering if it is something I should start incorporating into my diet, or should I just stay away from it? I'm really clueless on the nutritional value of it.

Also, if it is a good choice, does anyone have any good recipes to cook it? I really only have access to a George Foreman grill.

Thanks!!

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    a medium-rare t-bone with a glass of wine. thats all you need to know.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've always disliked steak until last Friday when out of desperation I decided to try my aunt's London broil and LOVED it! So now apparently I like steak. As long as it's well-done that is. :)

Since I am new to the steak world, I was wondering if it is something I should start incorporating into my diet, or should I just stay away from it? I'm really clueless on the nutritional value of it.

Also, if it is a good choice, does anyone have any good recipes to cook it? I really only have access to a George Foreman grill.

Thanks!!

Steak is great! Many people will warn you about saturated fat, but as a result of my research and experience, these people are wrong. Fat is good for you, even saturated fat. My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are better on my higher fat diet than they ever were on a low fat diet.

Know that home cooked well done and 5 star resultant well done are not typically the same thing. Home cooked well done is typically over cooked. As far as recipes I would just try out different marinades and you can pair steak with just about any side.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love steak. I get grumpy if I don't get red meat once in a while. :laugh: It's nothing you *have* to incorporate into your lifestyle, but if you like it, why not?

Just made a "hash" on Monday night with leftover steak and potatoes - cut them up into fine pieces and pan fry with a little bit of olive oil and steak spices. SO nummy...
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Stay with leaner cuts, filet mignon etc., and portion control. A good portion is 4-6 ozs. No 16 oz porterhouses!! Also watch the marinades don't add too much sodium. They are typically loaded with it!!
  • boopiejones
    Options
    if you liked the well done london broil, you'll love a real steak. i agree with the medium rare t bone idea.

all a good cut of meat needs is a little salt and pepper.

fresh&easy has a really good premarinated carne asada. it would be super easy to cook on your george foreman, slice and stick into some tortillas...
  • crickettm
    Options
    a medium-rare t-bone with a glass of wine. thats all you need to know.

Now your talkin'.....
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Last meal : 8oz Lean Filet Mignon, seared and blackened, RARE with a small baked potato and asparagus. I have this at least once a week, as a matter of fact I had it with organic mac and cheese for dinner last night!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    T-bones are the best but pricey. For his birthday, once I bought my husband a $25 T-bone. It was ****ing amazing.

However, sirloin is pretty good and usually more affordable. A while back I searched the internet for the key to good grilled steak (George Forman would probably be the same as an outside grill). They said to let the steak reach room temp before cooking (so yes, leave it out for a half hour or so). I like it best simple, with just salt and pepper "rubbed" in (I use a wooden spoon instead of my hands). You can also use Mrs. Dash steak blend, my husband like Worcestershire. You'll have to play with your grill to figure out how long to cook it. Then when it's done, let it sit for 5 minutes before eating so the juices can be absorbed back into the meat.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have a delmonico in the fridge right now covered in onions and garlic. Will throw on the grill around 6:30. YUM :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I love steak. I usually have filet with no bacon as it's always nicely trimmed. I do like London Broil too, but I am selective because some of the stores here don't trim it as well as what I like it.

I usually just grill mine, but I've also high temp baked London Broil several times, and it's great too. Easy-just rub the dry seasonings on it (garlic, pepper, onion powder, etc). Bake at 450 for about 30 minutes. I use a roasting pan (so it has a wire rack), and flip about half way through. I don't cook it 30 minutes since I like it a little more rare...

I eat steak probably 3-5 times a month.
  • aubry87
    aubry87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Technically you dont need any seasoning for steak, but I like to use fresh minced garlic & fresh cracked pepper. I just rub it on & cook. But I like mine damn near bloody. You just cant beat a rare steak & glass of red wine. Man, now Im hungry!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just go easy on the steak sauces. Get a decent rub or some spices and you're good to go!
  • mpeace1406
    mpeace1406 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I am officially craving one after all of these good ideas!!! :) I'm lovin' all these suggestions!
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Highly depends on the cut and what kid of diet you're doing. I eat steak for lunch 3-4 days a week. But I'm also not trying to lose weight.
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sodium
    Generic - Boneless Beef Eye of Round Steak, 9 oz 438 0 9 72 0 99

The cut I eat is round steak which is a very lean cut. It will require some marinade or tenderizing to be worth eating. And if you like it well done, it will likely be rubber.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You don't have to incorporate it but I don't see where it would hurt for a treat once in awhile. I am not a big red meat eater by choice - no moral or dieatary issue. But once in a while I want a really good steak. Like others mentioned you can marinade if you like - just remember to add the marinade to your calorie counter. Also, portion is a big deal with steaks. We get really nice steaks in the meat department but usually they are so big that we cut them in half or 3s. Whatever you don't use you can freeze for another day. If you don't want to marinade we love to add garlic powder (lots), onion powder, salt and pepper. Steak goes great with a nice big garden salad. YUM!!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Top Round from the supermarket and get the butcher to cut me about 5lbs or so. I go home, cut it up into 6oz portions and freeze them. Top Round is very lean, and I love it. =)
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I eat steak as often as I can afford it. It's GREAT. (I'm a rare to med. rare girl, though.) I eat 6 to 10 ounces depending on the cut of the meat and how hungry I am. (For this reason among many, Paleo diet styles rock my socks.)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Steak good!

You might discover that it's even better when it's cooked medium or rare...
  • Lizmhoughton
    Lizmhoughton Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love my steak grilled with Montreal seasoning!!!! I just tried it on pork chops lastnight, that stuff is absolutely delicious! I just use the dry seasoning, and a little bit goes a long way!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Bloody as hell, please. With only salt and pepper.