Running?

Options
veganbaum
veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
I am possibly interested in running. Does anyone have a good suggestion of a book to read that will give me some of the basics - like how to find the right shoes, what to eat before and after, best/slow way to get started, how to prevent injuries? Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about running, go to a running store and get fitted properly - a bit more $$

I highly recommend the Couch to 5K Program (C25K), I think it really teaches you the proper way to start out.

Stretching I had to figure out as I went, depending on what hurts , sometimes it was shins, now it's more my pelvis... Runners World is a great wealth of information.
  • gnoccola
    gnoccola Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Try here http://www.runnersworld.com/
    They have good tips. There are plenty of websites around with useful info.
    I suggest the Couch to 5k program if you are a beginner. (c25k)
    There are plenty of threads on MFP about it.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Hello:)

Not sure about books, but if you want something physical to read, then Runners World is a good magazine and has free guides for varying levels of running.

An opening page and some discussion here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/the-total-beginners-quick-guide-to-running/24.html

I'm nothing to do with them, just that I was reading up on it myself recently.
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    runners world .com and runners world magazine, has a lot of info for newbie runners. i would really suggest finding a local runners group though, go to a running store and get a proper shoe fitting so that they can assess your stride and your gait. good luck!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at both Couch to 5k and runnersworld. There's always just so much information out there it's hard to know what the best resources are without hearing from others.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in running to find shoes.

The couch to 5k is a great way to get started.

Eat foods easy on the tummy before, if you feel the need to eat at all. Unless you're running super far, or very early in the morning, it often doesn't become an issue. After, protein is a good bet.

To prevent injuries, take it easy at first. Don't ignore weird pains. Take rest days. Use pre-established programs until you get comfortable that you can come up with your own and understand the fundamentals of the established running programs out there.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You don't need a book - you have MFP!! Seriously. Just search "pronation" online and figure out what under and over pronating is, watch your feet when you run to figure out which you do, then search online which shoes are best for which pronating style and go to an athletic store and get your shoes. I don't remember which one I am, all I remember is that for my style, runnersworld.com said I needed extra cushion when I run so I just went to Nike Factory Store (outlet) and ask someone which ones have the most cushion and then I pick the most comfortable, least expensive pair. For me this last time, it was a pair of Livestrong Shox that were on the clearance rack! $60 for HOT shoes that were more comfortable than the brand spankin new models. I love 'em.

For eating before and after...for me, it's been able trial and error. If I'm running for a long time, I typically need to eat a full meal of carbs, protein & veggies about 45-60 mins before my run. Yesterday, however, I was only doing intervals for 1 mile so I was able to bust out my normal 30 minute workout DVD and then run and I was fine. After any workout, I always eat a protein bar - Clif builder are my faves 'cause they taste good, are all natural, and have 20g of protein. Pure protein are also good as they're not as high in carbs and sugar but they're also not as yummy. :happy:

Also, for starting...I just run as much as I can, then walk to catch my breath and run when I feel comfortable again. Try starting off with 1 minute run, 2 minute walk intervals and gradually increase the running and decrease the walking as you get comfortable. Or you could search Couch to 5k as that has helped many new runners. I prefer speed over time so I usually end up just running faster for shorter periods of time and gradually adding time on the treadmill to push myself but if you like running outside, doing timed intervals may work better for you.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at both Couch to 5k and runnersworld. There's always just so much information out there it's hard to know what the best resources are without hearing from others.

honestly, no need to overthink it - at the end of the day it is: left, right, repeat (as needed)

the biggest key is to train slowly so you can stick with it, thus the popularity of the C25K
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    It really is one foot in front of the other...

With that being said
    1) Go to a running store (not a sporting goods store) -- Get properly fitted for good running shoes and expect to pay $100-$125 for them. This is truly key to making your running a success.
    2) Stretch!!! and stretch... and stretch... You will be using muscles tha you are not used to. So STRETCH!
    3) Try a running program... I have had many friends and many people on this site use "Couch to 5k" -- Even if you don't plan on running in a 5k. It will give you a plan to get going.

GOOD LUCK!
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi!

I started running about 3 years ago! I think it is an amazing goal and wonderful sport to get involved in! Not only is it great exercise, but it is a wonderful way to deal with stress!

There are lots of great books, websites, advice givers out there, but most will tell you three basic things: shoes, stretching, patience.

Shoes:
    Invest in GOOD quality running shoe. Try to find a store that specializes in running shoes, they often will give you a "free fitting" based on your foot type, arch, gait etc. Getting this analysis was a LIFE SAVER for me. Not only does a shoe that is properly fitted for your foot feel good, it prevents injury! you can always have the store fit you for a shoe and write the recommendations down and search for the shoe elsewhere to get the best pricing! {that's what i did!}

Stretching:
    Always stretch before and after. Take your time stretching! Hold each position for at least 30 seconds if not more. Warming up and cooling down will ALSO prevent injuries!

Patience:
    Some days you will have a great run, and some days you won't. Always give yourself credit for JUST GETTING OUT THE DOOR. Also, don't increase your time or mileage too quickly. Increases of mileage by more than 10% per week can lead to injury.

GOOD LUCK!
  • SWgal
    Options
    Hi!

I started running about 3 years ago! I think it is an amazing goal and wonderful sport to get involved in! Not only is it great exercise, but it is a wonderful way to deal with stress!

There are lots of great books, websites, advice givers out there, but most will tell you three basic things: shoes, stretching, patience.

Shoes:
    Invest in GOOD quality running shoe. Try to find a store that specializes in running shoes, they often will give you a "free fitting" based on your foot type, arch, gait etc. Getting this analysis was a LIFE SAVER for me. Not only does a shoe that is properly fitted for your foot feel good, it prevents injury! you can always have the store fit you for a shoe and write the recommendations down and search for the shoe elsewhere to get the best pricing! {that's what i did!}

Stretching:
    Always stretch before and after. Take your time stretching! Hold each position for at least 30 seconds if not more. Warming up and cooling down will ALSO prevent injuries!

Patience:
    Some days you will have a great run, and some days you won't. Always give yourself credit for JUST GETTING OUT THE DOOR. Also, don't increase your time or mileage too quickly. Increases of mileage by more than 10% per week can lead to injury.

GOOD LUCK!
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    You don't need a book - you have MFP!! Seriously. Just search "pronation" online and figure out what under and over pronating is, watch your feet when you run to figure out which you do, then search online which shoes are best for which pronating style and go to an athletic store and get your shoes. I don't remember which one I am, all I remember is that for my style, runnersworld.com said I needed extra cushion when I run so I just went to Nike Factory Store (outlet) and ask someone which ones have the most cushion and then I pick the most comfortable, least expensive pair. For me this last time, it was a pair of Livestrong Shox that were on the clearance rack! $60 for HOT shoes that were more comfortable than the brand spankin new models. I love 'em.

It's probably better to have someone with a keen/experienced eye watch you.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options

Stretching:

I don't agree with before. In fact, static, unwarmed up stretching can cause issues and injury. Some studies even call into question the need for it before your main workout at all.

After, sure.
  • SWgal
    Options
    Also, even if you have NO INTENTION of running a half marathon the book "Marathoning for Mortals" is a great resource for injury prevention, nutrition, training, stretching etc.

Good Luck again!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    A lot of great suggestions here! I love running; I just got off the treadmill doing 3.25 miles today. Shoes are totally important. So see an expert at the running store. I switch between 3 pair. I would start off power walking to get your heart beating a little faster. Set a goal.., goals get you to where you want to go. We tend to give up before we are really done. Good luck & have fun!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options

I don't agree with before. In fact, static, unwarmed up stretching can cause issues and injury. Some studies even call into question the need for it before your main workout at all.

After, sure.

(I only streach after also.)
  • FightingIrish85
    Options
    I've done 3 half marathons and have my 4th next weekend and I never did end up purchasing a book with running tips. I know what you're thinking though and its always nice of course to be prepared. But I just went out and found the next local half marathon within 8-12 weeks of that day and signed up. The first thing you have to do is SIGN UP!! After I knew what day I had to be ready for, I just went out and googled a proper running schedule (generally 8-12 weeks long) and went at it. I'm to the point now to where I create my own on Outlook and deviate it to meet my needs. Running shoes are important. I was told to go to a running store where they stick you on the treadmill and all that but I ended up at Finish Line buying Nike Live Strong running shoes. I'm on my 2nd pair and still love them, and they're around $100 so about $25-$100 less than some of the ones they recommend at the running places. My iPod is one of my bff's while training, however I try to limit using it to about 1/2 of my run or less just so I'm focussing on the run and not building crutches for myself. Plus some marathons don't allow mp3 players. P.S. before I did my first half marathon a couple years ago at 23, I had never ran more than a mile in my life and was very out of shape. I run outside for my big runs, like this morning's 9 mile run, however I admit I love the treadmill (mainly because of the air conditioning at the gym but also because I make myself go faster). I advise you stick to outside as its really the best way to prepare yourself for the big day. But if its a rain or snow day it won't kill you to keep it inside; its better to get the practice run inside than miss it completely. Also watch your water intake (too much will work against you), stretch before and after, light running gear, and I think Puma makes the best stretch-fit socks ever (seems silly but its something I appreciate). I also use shoe inserts you can pick up at Finish Line or Foot Locker for about $20. One thing that I didn't know that I had to learn the hard way is watch your breathing patterns! You can google acceptable techniques. Go have pasta the night before the race; but not throughout your entire training, at least not if you expect to lose weight from this. I use walkjogrun.net to map my runs. Longest paragraph ever - haha. Good luck!
  • SWgal
    Options

After, sure.

(I only streach after also.)

Thanks for this important input ladies! you bring up a great point about diversity in running.

I think with running, everyone has to find what works best for them. For me if I don't do some light stretching before my run, I have more soreness. But I have plenty of runner friends who NEVER STRETCH before. It is trial and error, just like nutrition, pre-and post run fueling, pacing etc all are.

HAPPY RUNNING!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Stretching:

After, sure.

This.^^

Dynamic stretching, if any, is the way to go (IMHO). Static stretching doesn't really have much benefit before a workout and static stretching cold muscles can, as said previously, cause injury (or at the very least slow your muscles down - which defeats the purpose of racing, right? hehe). I will do dynamic stretches to open my hips but not much else, and that depends on if I'm feeling tight or not. Maybe a slow short jog to warm up if it's a cold day.

That being said, a friend of mine always stretches before a run and doesn't have any issues. Everyone has their own "thing" that works for them. Try everything and learn from what doesn't work.

GOOD LUCK!