I only lose when i dont eat my calories

Options
2»

Replies

• beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Well than I think you have your answer. MFP isn't a weight loss bible, it's a tool to help "you" figure out what works and what doesn't. Measurement are certainly not perfect and one size does not fit all. If things are working for you than keep at it, if calorie deficits are too high your body will let you know by either leading to a plateau or decreased energy levels. Keep tracking what your doing and when things aren't working evaluate what needs to change.

Thank you for this. It drives me nuts when people say you MUST eat back your exercise calories. I don't and I'm losing consistently. I know there will come a time when I need to change it, but not right now.

You are also at a different stage in weight loss. Limiting calories will affect muscle growth. More muscle equals a slimmer body that burns more calories. In order to make muscle grow, you need to eat enough. I know some say eat less, lose more, but it's really eat more, lose more.

The problem is, MFP might not be set up correctly. Below is a good link the help understand peoples caloric needs.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

I wasn't really looking for advice, but thanks. I've lost a ton of weight before, in a healthy manner, so I know what works for my body and I know what's going on with my body. I am building muscle and burning fat, while working under the supervision of a personal trainer and my doctor.
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is the case for you, but I had a similar problem recently. I was exercising and eating under my calories for the day - but I never lost anything. I finally figured out that, for me, even ONE alcoholic drink in the evening (a glass of wine after dinner, whatever) would cause me to not lose weight, even if I was still under my calories. I have to give up alcohol to lose the weight. I'm limiting myself to one night a week for any beer or wine. Another friend suggested that you not have anything with calories in it after 6pm. I haven't tried this myself, but it seemed like sound advice.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation.
    I kind of understand the logic of eating back my exercise calories.
    However, for me it is simple math. If my base rate is 1500 calories per day and I exercise to around the 500 calories mark but I do not consume the extra calories. My weight will go down.
    I try to hit the 1500 calories range each day. If I have a particularly strenuous workout I eat a little more so that I do not feel hungry.
    So far it is working and I am staying pretty close to my 2lb per week lose goal.
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also forgot to mention that last year, no matter what I tried, I could not lose weight. I was doing all the right things and still no luck. My doctor told me to take 500 IUs of Vitamin D. Now, when I try to lose weight, I can.
  • nmarcus
    nmarcus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    psulemon, Thank you for the link i'll measure latter. I made my diary public so please take a look. I eat pleanty. I was at a 800 calorie deficit again yester day and lost a little. Currently i am 5'5 and 146 lbs. I would like to lose another 5-10 lbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon, Thank you for the link i'll measure latter. I made my diary public so please take a look. I eat pleanty. I was at a 800 calorie deficit again yester day and lost a little. Currently i am 5'5 and 146 lbs. I would like to lose another 5-10 lbs.

Trust me when I say this, you truely do need to eat more. Here is why. When I started my weight loss program, I did p90x. I kept my calories around 1800 not much how hard the workout was. I was 210 lbs, 18% body fat. After 90 days, I lost 16 lbs and 3% body fat. So I tried it again, p90x for a second 90 days. Figured I would keep my calories the same since it worked before. After 90 days, nothing. No weight loss, no body fat change, and not a single inch off my body. So i research and started doing the hard math. I changed programs, started doing chalean extreme (a less intense and easier program), increased my calories to 2600 and watch the ratio's.. After 90 days, I lost 6" off my abs/waist/hips, 3% body fat and another 5 lbs. Currently I sit at 190, 11.75% body fat and eating about 3000 calories.

The fact is, the closer you get to your goal, the more you have to eat. It is a scientific fact. Without proper nutrition, which is where you are at, you can not build muscle and lose weight. If you don't eat at least 1500 calories, you will be malnurished. This will SLOW your metabolism. Do me a favor and answer the questions I originally posted and I bet you I can get you to lose weight and build muscle. I have done it for myself, I have worked with tons of peopel on this board with success and I follow the math.
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    im the same..
    when i eat my exercise calories i maintain and have slight gains.

i am going to stop reading so much on these forums and thinking them as FACT.

im gunna stop strssiing about it and start listening to my body
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten all my calories to date and I never eat back exercise calories. I have been losing consistently for three weeks. Starvation mode to me seems a bit of a white lie to get people to lose weight healthily but it's hard to eat 1200 a day when I eat mainly just fruit and veggies!
    I don't think it is a problem unless you are definately eating too little for your body to run on.

Same here!!