Making BROWN RICE for the first time! Anyone have any tips??

Options
2»

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i throw it in the rice cooker with some garlic...and tada...in fact I'm having some tonight with moose steak and broccoli
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I put minced garlic and some Ken's Light Norther Italian dressing in the water that the rice cooks in. I also use Mrs. Dash to season my rice. They have tons of different flavors. Sometimes I add diced yellow and zucchini squash with some canned chicken (make sure you get the kind with only chicken and no modified food starch and other crap added) to it. Rinse the chicken first to remove most of the sodium. You can use fresh chicken, I just use canned because it is quicker. It will take longer for the brown rice to cook than the white rice. Brown rice is a bit firmer than white rice too. I hope you enjoy your dinner!
  • dannylives
    dannylives Posts: 611
    Options
    Wow, thanks everybody!
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    These ideas are great! Thanks for posting the question OP :flowerforyou:
  • Reykur
    Reykur Posts: 18
    Options
    My mom makes the best brown rice I've ever had. She uses a 1 cup of brown rice, 1/4 cup of kefer or yougurt or buttermilk or vinigar or lemon juice and two cups of water mix and let set for up to 12 hours. If its to strong for you just rinse it than add the 2 cups of liquid bring to a boil skim off the foam add a bit of butter and salt or whaterver you want. and cook for 40 min to an hour. From Nourishing Traditions.

<http://scienceblog.com/community/older/2000/A/200000373.html&gt;
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    try to make it with a dab of garlic salt or low sodium chicken bullion; that helps flavor it up for me...i have also made it plain and added a dab of light sour cream...tasty either way!