Strength Training for Beginners - Advice?

Options
Hi,
I just read the "I do DVDs so I don't have to strength train" thread and it cemented the suspicion I've had that I do need to get into strength training to reach the fitness level that I want to reach.

It is not possible for me at this point to go to a gym or to have a personal trainer.

Does anyone have any online resources or books that they would recommend to help me build my own program? I will be starting from scratch (well, not really, I have 3 and 5 lbs dumbbells but that's it)

I don't have room or budget or a bunch of equipment but can buy some weights here and there.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Well, except mean ones :)

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Why no gym? Public rec centers are pretty affordable.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yep you can go to a leisure center and tell them you can't afford a gym membership and they will discount it for you...you need a pay stub though....I like women's health magazine for the calisthenics, and bodybuilding.com for the weight lifting routines. Tonight is Day 6 of beginners fat burning lol
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Google "Bodyweight strength training". I've also seen a few people recommend "Convict Conditioning" (or something similar), no equipment necessary.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you can get an EXCELLENT, resistance work-out doing purely bodyweight exercises (you could even add a $10 stability ball for a little more spice). some ideas...

1. go to youtube and put in "bodyweight exercises". you will find several.

2. go to bodyrock.tv and you will find some EXCELLENT (and relatively short) workout routines. many of the exercises are bodyweight only and you can modify the other exercises as a bodyweight only exercise since you're beginning (i.e., you don't need the added weight of a sandbag).

3. Craig Ballantyne has a whole series of bodyweight exercise workouts...he publishes a manual that will give you a 6 month routine. It costs money to get the manual, but you can get some ideas by putting "Craig Ballantyne" or "Turbulence Training" into youtube.

4. if you really want to make it exciting, add a 10-20 second sprint before doing each bodyweight exercise. so sprint, exercise, rest 30-45 seconds, and repeat with another exercise.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just read the "I do DVDs so I don't have to strength train" thread and it cemented the suspicion I've had that I do need to get into strength training to reach the fitness level that I want to reach.

It is not possible for me at this point to go to a gym or to have a personal trainer.

Does anyone have any online resources or books that they would recommend to help me build my own program? I will be starting from scratch (well, not really, I have 3 and 5 lbs dumbbells but that's it)

I don't have room or budget or a bunch of equipment but can buy some weights here and there.

3-5 lbs weights won't really be to helpful for traditional weight training exercises. Your best bet is bodyweight exercises.

Lucky for you, bodyweight training can get you VERY far! It's how I started into my strength training and now, even though i use weights, I still do bodyweight training and get a good work out out of it!

Squats, push-ups, and chair dips are going to be your best friends, imho. There are many different types of squats, and as these get easy for you, don't be embarassed to use gallons of milk/books/etc. as weights when you're working out at home.

Chair dips are a great exercise if you have sturdy chairs. Set them about 3-4 feet apart (more or less depending on your size....you need to fit between them easily) put a hand on each, arms straight, extend your legs out front, cross your ankles....and lower yourself until your arms are at 90 degree angles. Press up. That's one. You can also do a tricep targetting variation with one wide chair (or a bench) behind you and one in front of you. Place both hands on the bench behind you, and straighten your legs out over the other in front of you (ankles crossed). Repeat the same motion.

www.bodybuilding.com is great, as is dailyburn.com.

Good luck!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    For beginners I recommend doing either 5x5 or something like "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

Also full body workouts are good for beginners.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    Why no gym? Public rec centers are pretty affordable.

Time constraints (3 children and full time law student), transportation issues (I rely on public) and location (I live in a rural area and commute to school)

Please believe me that I have tried to see how to make a gym work and it just doesn't. Hence my question.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    A great reference that is almost completely bodyweight training is a book called "Functional Conditoining for Sport" by Mike Boyle.

Basically, every movement requires core stabilization that strengthens you from the Inside-Out that helps coordinate your entire body as a unit.

Don't let the "for Sport" part mis-lead you either. While modern athletes look for functional muscle, you can equally substitute the term "Co-ordinated" into the expression just the same making it worthwhile for anyone to incorporate into their workouts, or for options to change up their routines to challenge the body in new ways.

Exercises are grouped based on body part and level of difficulty (Level 1 - Level 5, depending on degree of functionality/stabilization required.

The majority of the movements are body weight only, or might incorporate minimal equipment such as a swiss ball. That being said, they're also not as easy as they look! :-)

Cheers!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Right now all I"m doing is Turbo Fire, but due to the same post that you are talking about, I'm considering adding gym time. I'm also a mother of 3 and a grad student. The school has a free gym though (but I hate showering and getting ready for the day there but I guess I should get over that). Anything like that at your school?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Hi,

3-5 lbs weights won't really be to helpful for traditional weight training exercises. Your best bet is bodyweight exercises.

Lucky for you, bodyweight training can get you VERY far! It's how I started into my strength training and now, even though i use weights, I still do bodyweight training and get a good work out out of it!

Squats, push-ups, and chair dips are going to be your best friends, imho. There are many different types of squats, and as these get easy for you, don't be embarassed to use gallons of milk/books/etc. as weights when you're working out at home.

Chair dips are a great exercise if you have sturdy chairs. Set them about 3-4 feet apart (more or less depending on your size....you need to fit between them easily) put a hand on each, arms straight, extend your legs out front, cross your ankles....and lower yourself until your arms are at 90 degree angles. Press up. That's one. You can also do a tricep targetting variation with one wide chair (or a bench) behind you and one in front of you. Place both hands on the bench behind you, and straighten your legs out over the other in front of you (ankles crossed). Repeat the same motion.

www.bodybuilding.com is great, as is dailyburn.com.

Good luck!

Completely agree! This is how I started and I now have muscle that I never knew existed!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    For books. I usually search books on Amazon, then try to borrow it from the library (including using the inter-library loan). If you like, then buy it. There are good books like:

* Maximum Strength: Get Your Strongest Body in 16 Weeks with the Ultimate Weight-Training Program
    * Body for Life: 12 Weeks to Mental and Physical Strength
    * The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Sexier, Healthier YOU!
    * 101 Workouts for Women: Everything You Need to Get a Lean, Strong and Fit Physique
    * The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

For DVDs:
    * P90x have awesome strength training workout (cheaper than paying PT, go to eBay or craiglist)
    * Bob Harper: Pure Burn Super Strength
    * ... the list go on

Online:
    * http://www.bodyrock.tv/ (my favorite)
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hi:0) Maybe at your school the library may have have some DVD's with strength training. Not sure if you have NetFlix, in my queue, I have some fitness DVDs that uses low weights to get me started before moving onto heavier weights.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Youtube works. look for the people giving demos of squats, deadlifts, benchpress, row, overhead press for weight lifting. Don't listen to people that tell you to do body part splits with low weight. That only works if you take steroids. Get yourself a weight bench, squat rack, barbell and some weights over time and stick them in your grarage or something. Try ebay or yard sales and save some $$$.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    For beginners I recommend doing either 5x5 or something like "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

I would second this recommendation.  StrongLifts is also another great 5x5 program. The great benefit of 5x5 is that beginners respond to the intensity and volume very quickly and with the compound lifts you are getting a full body workout each day. The downside is that women tend to find them a bit intimidating at first. If this is the case, the New Rules of Lifting for Women is descent. 

Also, bodybuilding.com is loaded if quite a bit of broscience and their programs are mediocre at best.
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred? All you need are the DVD (which if like $10 at Walmart), weights (3-5 lbs are perfect for starting out) and a mat if you're working out on a hard floor. A lot of MFP members have had success with it, so I actually started doing it myself on Monday.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just got my stronglifts 5x5 progress spread sheet.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options

I would second this recommendation.  StrongLifts is also another great 5x5 program. The great benefit of 5x5 is that beginners respond to the intensity and volume very quickly and with the compound lifts you are getting a full body workout each day. The downside is that women tend to find them a bit intimidating at first. If this is the case, the New Rules of Lifting for Women is descent. 

Also, bodybuilding.com is loaded if quite a bit of broscience and their programs are mediocre at best.

1. What is a 5x5 program?
    2. What is "broscience?"
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Not to bash Gyms or anything... but....

I went through Marine Corps bootcamp and not once did I touch a weight in a gym. I busted my *kitten* for 13 weeks straight, with nothing more than push ups, flutter kicks, mountain climbers, 10 count body builders, crunches and running, plus some other wonderful calestenics... Bottom line, Motivation and Drive will get you all the strength training you want and need. Sure the gyms help, but you don't NEED them.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/training

A free site that lets you develop a program for you, with or without free weights. Options for gym/home. I don't use it all the time, cause I go to the gym, but I do use it on the days I don't.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    you can get an EXCELLENT, resistance work-out doing purely bodyweight exercises (you could even add a $10 stability ball for a little more spice). some ideas...

1. go to youtube and put in "bodyweight exercises". you will find several.

2. go to bodyrock.tv and you will find some EXCELLENT (and relatively short) workout routines. many of the exercises are bodyweight only and you can modify the other exercises as a bodyweight only exercise since you're beginning (i.e., you don't need the added weight of a sandbag).

3. Craig Ballantyne has a whole series of bodyweight exercise workouts...he publishes a manual that will give you a 6 month routine. It costs money to get the manual, but you can get some ideas by putting "Craig Ballantyne" or "Turbulence Training" into youtube.

4. if you really want to make it exciting, add a 10-20 second sprint before doing each bodyweight exercise. so sprint, exercise, rest 30-45 seconds, and repeat with another exercise.

This...and to make it even easier...I'll quote the exact routine I used to Ho from the left picture, to the right picture, in 3 mos (35lbs or so):

7434194_5028.jpg7434194_9039.jpg
    Another Bodyweight Culture article, this one courtesy Cheesedog at:

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?11058-Bodyweight-Strength-Training

Bodyweight Strength Training

People are always asking about strength training using only bodyweight. This is nothing new or revolutionary. I am borrowing HEAVILY from Rippatoe, Bill Starr, and lots of other great authors and trainers. This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set.

Workout A 1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5 1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5 1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5 2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5 2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B 1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5 1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5 1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5 1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5 2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5 2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols. 2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups. 3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row. 4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise. 5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge. 6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup. 7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise. 8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well. 9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers. 10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.