HELP?!?!

Options
brooke5285
brooke5285 Posts: 20 Member
Tomorrow is my husband's birthday and every year since we have been married ((7 yrs)) I have always made him a cake. The problem now is we have both started doing P90X and started eating a LOT healthier. Sweet things are my down fall and I really would love to still make him a cake that is "healthy." Any one have any ideas they could share with me?? Thanks

Replies

• riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    maybe just replace the bad ingredients with better ingredients, i.e. applesauce for butter, etc... look online for lots of healthy substitutions....
    i've tried a bunch of stuff that way and it still tastes great!
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    a fruity pancake tower? :)
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    angel food cake, with some fresh berries/fruit and low fat cool whip? and it's not too heavy if the weather's hot.

edit... ooh, and i did a clafoutis on the weekend for a bbq. it's like a thin cake. Fresh fruit in the bottom, topped with an egg mixture and baked. Was a little sweet but not too much, and quite easy. This is the recipe I used- http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--2176/raspberry-clafouti.asp When it is cut into 8 pieces, it's 134 cal/piece, and I used 2% milk. Using 1% would decrease that a bit, and you could reduce the sugar a bit from 1/2 cup, though it's not super sweet as is.
  • espieee2003
    Options
    It's a BIRTHDAY. I say call it your cheat day and have fun, then go back to your diet. Unless you have the strength to refrain from partaking the food. Special days for me are forgiven.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    my friend made brownies with no oil or eggs using a brownie mix and a black bean puree.. but popular cake recipes include applesauce, banana, etc instead of oil/eggs. look online...

could also use wheat flour instead of white, and use splenda instead of sugar.. etc etc..

and also, dont make the whole recipe.. make half of it, or something, and use a small little individual loaf pan, so your not left with an entire cake to eat.. just enough for your serving... once, even before i started my diet, I made a chocolate cake out of a box, followed the directions on it, but used the mini loaf pans, and made 2 little cakes out of it, one for me, one for my mom, and threw all the excess batter away.. i then used a sugar free strawberry jam mixed with some lemon juice as the "frosting" which was just like a drizzle over it..
  • brooke5285
    brooke5285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will look and see what I can find!
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh man I am currently in love with a recipe I got from clintswifeymomof4. Here is a link to her blog post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/clintswifeymomof4/view/cupcakes-under-65-calories-here-s-how-112436

I make it as a cake though instead of cupcakes, with layers and slices of strawberries in the layers. It is SO GOOD.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    angel food cake, with some fresh berries/fruit and low fat cool whip? and it's not too heavy if the weather's hot.

i was thinking this too, but you said cake, and when i visualize cake, it isnt something that gets things added to it before its complete... so yup, strawberry shortcake is one, but this is my favorite dessert and its really hard without the sugar syrup that usually accompanies the strawberries...

theres all types of things that are dessert, that arent cake; can you make something else that might be healthier... even like banana bread or zuccini bread are healthier; using no oil/eggs with applesauce instead... or what about just fresh fruit, diced up, drizzled with sugar free chocolate syrup with low fat cool whip and maybe some sprinkles just to make it look like a birthday? or just a single cupcake
  • nancye610
    nancye610 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A real easy to make cake and low in fat is take a boxed cake mix and a can of diet soda and mix with it and bake as directions call for. So easy and tastes great! I top with Low Fat Cool Whip.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I made a funny type cheesecake
    extra light philidelphia (or soft cheese)
    4 calorie jelly
    biscuit base with low fat margarine.
    evaporated milk.

Check out my pictures on my profile to see the end result. It was ... different but only 100 cals a piece.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6001754&prev_term=birthday

Chilled Double Chocolate Torte (baked crust version)

by Angela Liddon

Prep Time: 40 mins

Cook Time: 25 mins + 1.5-2 hrs chill time

Keywords: Bake No Bake Dessert Birthday Vegetarian Vegan Soy-Free Nut-Free Nut Free OPTION