Eating with cholesterol in mind?

Options
Wynnie
Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
OK - my doc said that 278 with high LDL and low HDL was not so good, and gave me 2 months to improve it through lifestyle before trying drugs. I reeeeeaaalllly want to stay off those. I've had a few good tips already from some MFP friends, but I want to know all I can.

When you want to lower cholestoral (naturally), what are the biggest changes you make in your diet?

PS - and if you're using the drugs, what kind of side affects are they giving you>

Replies

• Wynnie
    Options
    OK - my doc said that 278 with high LDL and low HDL was not so good, and gave me 2 months to improve it through lifestyle before trying drugs. I reeeeeaaalllly want to stay off those. I've had a few good tips already from some MFP friends, but I want to know all I can.

When you want to lower cholestoral (naturally), what are the biggest changes you make in your diet?

PS - and if you're using the drugs, what kind of side affects are they giving you>
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It all starts with nutrition and exercise. Some thing as simple as walking everyday for 30-45 minutes and reading lables can be all you need. I also incorporate foods like oatmeal and of course cheerios and that help me. I'm still overweight but because of this site and the committment I made to change my life I'm 14 lbs lighter, all my level are dropping and even some of the body aches are going away :drinker:
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Fiber fiber fiber! Fiber helps rid your body of bad cholesterol by binding to it so increase your fiber intake. Niacin supplements also help reduce high cholesterol but be prepared for a red rash, hot flushes or tingling for the first few weeks when you take them, it's a natural response and will go away with a week or two, try taking it before going to sleep to deal with these side effects. I have high cholesterol unrelated to diet and these two things have helped me bring it down :)
  • stephiepoo
    Options
    Eat oatmeal or cheerios for breakfast everyday!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Drugs: the drugs gave my husband nightmares, and I was sick to my stomach, diarhea, and felt like I had morning sickness. Loss of energy. It was really not a good experience.

Then I found MFP and thought what the heck, drop the drugs and go for a healthy solution.

I ate eat plenty of veggies and fruits, whole grain rices and breads, oatmeal 3x week. I watch the sat fats closely. I eat plenty of the good kind (olive oil, almonds, avacado, eggs)

But I really think the exercise did the trick. I dont pretend to understand it, it was just true.
    I exercised 30 min a day 4-5 days a week and it went down to 207 in 2 months
    the next appt was 3 months later and i went up to 227. the only diff was I had not been exercising for a few weeks due to a foot injury.

So work out baby!! Get your body moving! and GOOD LUCK!!

( also...you can take Omega 3 caps and ask your doctor about Red Rice Yeast caps before actually going on the hard core meds!!:heart: )
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol has dropped 93 points since I started MFP in March. I credit it to the 29 pound weight loss, exercise, and cutting back on red meat. In addition, I take one Omega 3 fish oil supplement each day.

I wish you much success!
    Options
    This is what I have found

Tips to remember:

• Do your exercises regularly to keep your heart healthy.
    It also helps in burning out the excess fat you have been carrying around.

• Avoid trans fatty acids like French fries, cookies, cakes and many
    other fried fast foods.

• Consume fewer carbohydrates by avoiding sugar, flour, potatoes
    and white rice. Avoid food which contains too much cholesterol
    like egg yolk, liver, kidney, brain etc.
    Stop smoking, it increases LDL levels by seven points.

Natural Ways to Increase HDL: • Red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon,
    Merlot and Pinot Noir, consumed in reasonable quantity gives a positive result.
    It contains antioxidants that slow down oxidation of HDL and LDL cholesterol.
    By drinking wine, HDL levels do not shoot up, but contain higher level
    of various types of blood fats, thus making it useful for the body.

• Drinking orange juice every day increases HDL level by nearly 21%.
    This is possible due to the presence of flavonoids.

• Kidney and red beans are another source to increase HDL level.
    They contain low-glycemic carbohydrates which do not create
    insulin spikes during digestion.

• Taking flaxseed several times a week is very useful in increasing HDL
    level as it contains omega-3 fatty acids.

• Olive oil contains the highest number of mono-saturated fats.
    Having 1-2 teaspoons in your daily diet would help you tremendously.

• Oat bran lowers LDL and increases HDL. Studies have shown that 2 ounces
    of oat bran per day helps in reducing 16% LDL and 15% increase in HDL.

• Half raw onion per day increases HDL level by 30%.

• Soy products increase HDL levels thereby decreasing LDL.

• Soluble fiber found in fruits like apples, grapes and citrus fruits
    are useful in increasing HDL levels.

• Guggul lipid, a native herb used mainly for Ayurvedic medicine,
    also helps in maintaining healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

• Green tea lowers LDL levels by increasing HDL levels.

• Eat more fiber and include raw garlic in your diet,
    these are very useful in lowering cholesterol levels.
  • Wynnie
    Options
    Thanks SOO much everyone! I had so many good recommendations, I just made up a shopping list from reading the thread.
    It's a month until next lipid panel. Will send a big "yah" out if it all works for me (stay tuned!) *grin*
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of articles on the Niacin and fiber, just so you have all the information you need before pursuing those avenues :)
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/niacin/CL00036
    http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4494