dating and age

Options
Hey every one. Had a few bumps recently but its all behind me and im coming back stronger than ever. Life is good. Had a quick question and would like opinions from both the women and men. I met a beautiful most wonderful girl at the gym and we hit it off from the begining. She loves working out, loves the out doors and every thing that goes with it just like me. Also shes a bit of a smart *kitten* and isn't a jeolous person just like me also. Life is great when we are together. i am 32 and she is 23. Question is? Has anyone ever found that age makes a difference in a relationship in the long run one way or the other good or bad. I can already see one. She wants more kids someday and i'm not so sure. Between the two of us we already have three. Just looking for opinions. Are there any others on here who are in or have had relationships with an age gap of more than a couple of years. Thank you all in advance.

Replies

• nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    Hey every one. Had a few bumps recently but its all behind me and im coming back stronger than ever. Life is good. Had a quick question and would like opinions from both the women and men. I met a beautiful most wonderful girl at the gym and we hit it off from the begining. She loves working out, loves the out doors and every thing that goes with it just like me. Also shes a bit of a smart *kitten* and isn't a jeolous person just like me also. Life is great when we are together. i am 32 and she is 23. Question is? Has anyone ever found that age makes a difference in a relationship in the long run one way or the other good or bad. I can already see one. She wants more kids someday and i'm not so sure. Between the two of us we already have three. Just looking for opinions. Are there any others on here who are in or have had relationships with an age gap of more than a couple of years. Thank you all in advance.
  • GettingThin08
    Options
    I never seen that age matter...I was 18 once and was talking to a 32 year old...I think it really matters on how you hit it off...I have also dated guys that were at least 3-4 years older than me...Good luck...but if yall hit it off I dont see the problem!
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Don't think it matters, I had 2 sets of Aunts and Uncles with large age ranges, 10 - 15 years, they had long and happy marriages .....GO FOR IT BOY ....if it doesn't work out remember better to have tried than not, you would spend forever wondering what if ...:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,963 Member
    Options
    I have seen many couples stay together long-term with 10-20 years age difference.

I have not seen many couples stay together who disagree on having children.

I hope you can work it out. :flowerforyou:
  • Crystalpotamus
    Options
    My parents are 10 years apart. My husband's parents are 8 years apart. They are 1st marriages that have stood the test of time. That is more than I can say for a lot of marriages out there.
  • Homer9
    Options
    Is the issue age or having more children? Don't get ahead of yourself. Take it slow and enjoy each other and build the relationship. Time will tell.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Time will tell. Either of you could change your ideas about what you want. Age shouldn't really matter. I've had many people decide they wanted kids when I couldn't have any more, and that was a wholesale rejection of me and my two boys....
  • amaliasmom
    amaliasmom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't think that age really matters in the long run. As long as you are on the same page about what you want out of life in the future. My husband is 8 years older than me-and that seems to be working out pretty well!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Dont think it really matters.

I have seen people the same age marry and divorce in a year.

I have seen a couple 30 years apart stay together for 25 years until death did them part.

Your age difference is slight in comparison.

I think attitude is the big thing. As long as you are not dating her because she is a hawt 23 yr old, but for her personality, then y'all will be fine!!

I wish ya all the luck. (btw. I would be ecstatic if my daughter met a nice guy like you!) :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    OH and how ABOUT those 25 pounds, dude!! Alright!!:happy:
  • kristineh86
    Options
    My uncle (48) just married a 26 year old from Columbia. He shipped her over to the US. Personally, I think THAT is messed up and wrong but she is young enough to be his daughter!! In your case, that age difference isn't bad. My 22 year old friend is dating a 31 year old and they get along great! :)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I agree with someone above, doesn't sound like age is the problem, sounds lik emore kids is. You might change your mind 5 years down the road, if you're still together. She'll still be prime mothering age at 28 or 29 and your other kids will be much older. Don't worry about babies right now, just get to know her. :flowerforyou:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    My mom was 37 when she married my dad who was 23. Gasp, horrors, this was in the 1950's so everyone assumed that she had to have been pregnant. Well as it turns out the first baby didn't arrive for another 2 years. :laugh: They were married for 39 years before he passed away. Age is just a number.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, age doesn't matter, but relationships will be more successful if the man is older. I've had long term relationships with older men, and they worked much better than the one I just got out of where I was older than he was.

I dont think age will be an issue in your situation, but I agree with some of the others who have said that the disagreement that you have concerning having more children will be a much bigger problem than age.

It's tempting to just go slowly and enter into a relationship with this young lady, but the bottom line is, if you both have non-negotiables that you're not willing to compromise on, it may not be worth the time and heartache that could result.
  • gmukris
    gmukris Posts: 539
    Options
    I think the age difference would come into play if she was say 18 years old. She'd still have a lot of experiences to live through that you'd already have done. But I agree with everyone else, it may be an issue of kids down the road.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I don't think age is the issue.

If you don't have similar future goals there may be conflict.
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    my friends 19 and her boyfriend is 32 (almost 33)
    they are perfect
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hi there..

i as well dont think age matters..
    but ill give you a little insight of my dads marriage

dad remarried 5 years ago to a 34 yo women (hes 55 himself) that was all fine but now hes thinking of retiring and travel and golf and all those thing but shes still building herself a career and has no time to think of those things....

you guys have much less of a difference.. just make sure you have the same goals !!

good luck :)
  • mead
    mead Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    me and my husband have a 18 year age gap between the two of us and we have been together for almost 6 years now and have been married for almost two our personalities are what keeps us together and the age plays no role between us.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    In most cases age does not matter, but maturity level and common interest does.

I also agree with may_marie. Life goals and where you are on the path can have a lot of significance.