what should i do when i can't stop eating?

Options

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Stop, close the package and dump it in the trash.

That's what I do. I used to work across the street from a grocery store, and sometimes they would have baked goods on sale, and I would buy a whole cake just to have a slice. I would throw the rest out. It's wasteful, yes, but I knew if I didn't do it I'd keep eating.

My former coworker goes a step further. She throws it in the trash and pours dish soap on it (so she won't dig it out of the trash and eat it).
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I walk away. ESPECIALLY if it's something chocolate. If it's in a bag and I just want one, I have just one and give the rest away. I know waste of money but I would rather waste the money on a small bag of chips and taste a craving then my gym memebrship which cost more.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options

That's what I do. I used to work across the street from a grocery store, and sometimes they would have baked goods on sale, and I would buy a whole cake just to have a slice. I would throw the rest out. It's wasteful, yes, but I knew if I didn't do it I'd keep eating.

My former coworker goes a step further. She throws it in the trash and pours dish soap on it (so she won't dig it out of the trash and eat it).

YUP!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Anytime I bring home "snacks" (chips, nuts, etc.) I immediately open the bag, portion every single serving into individual sandwich bags, and done. That way I'm not just standing or sitting in front of a whole bag of chips that magically disappear.
  • revcharwhite
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds by eating mostly protein and then other foods that are good for me. I still eat about 130 calories of stuff I really like but I know if I'm crazing lots of food its because I haven't had enough protein.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    1. You don't have to stop what you don't start. If there is a food I know I have no control with I just won't allow myself to eat it. My daughter makes killer chocolate chip peanut butter cookies that fall into this category. She made some for a potluck recently and to keep myself from eating dozens of them I just wouldn't let myself have even one until one was all that was left. Then I ate it, enjoyed it and couldn't eat anymore because there were none!

2. I knit. If it's a matter of boredom munching I just pick up my knitting or crocheting. It's a great thing to do while watching TV because it keeps my hands busy. I also don't like eating right before knitting (popcorn or things like that) because I don't want my yarn to get dirty.

3. Brush your teeth. I hate the way anything tastes after brushing my teeth and I have some sort of mental "no eating after brushing in the evening" thing in in my brain. It works pretty well.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    walk, sleep, read a book, go for a drive, play videogames, if you have a significant other...ask them to occupy your time! <<< burn some calories too! Or at least raise your heart rate!
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    well,i don't,i live with my parents,i'm only 18.they buy the food.of course,they buy healthy stuff for me,but there's always something unhealthy in the fridge and i can't resist it.
  • paradog
    Options
    play guitar,
    play with the family pet,
    clean your room,
    wash your car or parents or both!
  • theblondetrick
    Options
    don't bring it into your home in the first place

Exactly. If I want a snickers bar (shame on me) I will buy ONE at the store-no matter what the price/sale is if I buy the 10 pack, for example...because I know myself too well and I will eat it all.

Also, chew more slowly and dont eat in front of the tv, computer, etc...not while doing other things because you can mindlessly eat. Dont eat standing up next to the fridge or pantry either (can you tell I've been where you are? lol). You can do it!!!
    well,i don't,i live with my parents,i'm only 18.they buy the food.of course,they buy healthy stuff for me,but there's always something unhealthy in the fridge and i can't resist it.
  • paradog
    Options

then get out of the house!
  • theblondetrick
    Options

YUP!
    i would do that,but my parents would go crazy because i would end up throwing so much food in the trash,and it's really their food,not mine,i just can't resist it.
  • theblondetrick
    Options
    well,thank you guys,i'll definitely do the chewing gum thing and i'll try to stay out of the house or do something that will take my mind off of food.
  • paradog
    Options
    OK all seriousness...you need to stop making excuses and find options other than the negative behavior. No one thing will work all the time, but YOU must develop a list of things you can and must do to keep from over snacking. It is hard, we know, but the list is yours to make and use.

friend if you want support or not but you CAN do this!
  • theblondetrick
    Options
    dude,chill,i just said i will do some things you guys told me to.i won't do all of them,cause not all of them work for me.
  • paradog
    Options
    sorry
    chilling
    going back to my cage
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have this problem big time. I put it in the garbage and walk far far away or I pour water on it so its gross and then I don't want to eat it. It works like a charm.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The truly simple answer is stop eating. I can sit down an eat an entire bag of chips in about 10 minutes if I want to, but that's not going to get me down to my goal of dropping bout 50 more pounds. Keep your eye on the long term goal for your self, and anytime you find yourself starting to eat something you shouldn't ask how it's going to help or hinder you reaching your goal. I honestly don't advise completely eliminating a food, because that just causes cravings and binging. Never eat directly from a container, always portion first.
  • katieherringshaw
    Options
    You have an unhealthy relationship with food. You are getting some sort of emotional satisfaction when you eat. I suggest you try other activities such as reading, excercise, movies. Try drinking a glass of water before you eat your meal- you'll feel fuller.
  • kheavin0928
    kheavin0928 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just like a couple other people said, don't even buy it. I know that I can put a hurtin' on a bag of chips if I have them in my possession, so I just don't buy it. If it's not available you won't be tempted. It may be hard for awhile, but your cravings for them may become less overtime. At least mine did...hope this helps!