When no nutritional info is available...

Options
I love going to the local farmer's markets and I want to support my hometown businesses (bakeries, restaurants, etc.), but I find it frustrating when they don't have any data available for stuff like breads, jams, sauces, and such. I don't know about you guys, but I HATE guessing. Maybe I'm a little neurotic -- I'd believe that.

Actually, I was shocked this week that the grocery store (Price Chopper, a fairly big chain with stores all over the NW United States) didn't have any nutritional information available for the things in their in-store bakery. It's not on the website and I even called the bakery department to ask -- the staff there agreed they ought to have it, but they don't.

Well, I found something that was about the same description and weight in the database, but it peeved me.

So what do YOU do? Guess? Not log it? Refuse to eat it? Do tell!

Replies

• jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    Guess by finding something closely related on the database. Then say i had 1.1 servings to allow for margin of error. But i'm like you, i hate doing this!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Find something similar. I'm not passing up good food just because I don't know the exact calorie count! The ones on packages are rounded anyway (I work for a food manufacturer, and I make the labels for many of our products so I'm not just spouting off on this one). So just guess! :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Is that legal? To sell stuff without it being publicly available?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Yep find the closest thing and add a little or opt for the highest calorie version listed. It's a pain but the only other choice is not eat it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I accept that it's life!! Not every food you ever come across is going to have this info. I think that making an educated guess about the healthiest option available is a really important life skill.
    And remember that every entry is your food diary is an estimate anyway. Find something similar and don't sweat it!
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, it annoys me too. I wish every edible thing had nutrition info on it. i normally google similar items and average the calories or choose the highest calorie choice.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I think it is still legal, as long as they have allergy info / ingredients list or something. I wish companies would do it anyway, though.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I think it is still legal, as long as they have allergy info / ingredients list or something. I wish companies would do it anyway, though.

I think the new health care laws ("Obamacare") require national chain restaurants to include nutritional info on their menus. And, certain local laws might too (like, NYC requires it.) But, there's nothing that requires mom and pop shops to do so.

I generally just choose something from the database and choose one of the higher ones. But, yeah, I hate it too. I love eating locally, but sometimes when I am tight on calories, I'll choose a chain restaurant just so I know the calorie count.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    For now, I just don't eat it. Once I've been on track for a while, I will probably let myself eat stuff like that once or twice a week.