Do you find that myfitnesspal's assumptions are correct?

Options
So, I've been doing this for 3 weeks and have been brutally honest - I want to truly find out how many calories I need to lose weight - truly find out what the problem is.

And myfitnesspal says I should have lost 3 pounds. That is, I went at least 500 calories into "debt" each day. For each of the 3 weeks I was almost exactly on the 3500 calories required to lose a pound, give or take 20 calories.

And I haven't lost anything. I've maintained nicely. :)

But, myfitnesspal says I need 1780 calories to maintain my weight, which seems high, so it gives me 1280 calories a day (to lose one pound per week). Then, when I exercise, it adds ALL those calories to the amount I can eat. Sometimes those calories seem really high. I biked with my son, 10 mph, for 90 minutes and myfitnesspal gave me like 660 calories for it.

So I'm coming to the conclusion that the 1780 isn't right, for ME - and the exercise amounts aren't right - for ME, and that I have to make some adjustments to actually lose weight.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Replies

• NWLARealtor57
    NWLARealtor57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can customize your calorie intake, I did on mine. Then on the exercise part I bought a heart rate monitor watch and clicked on the exercise I do and then manually input the calories in myself and the minutes. Hope this helps!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    yea but the exact opposite of you. The calories are way to low and my body refuse to lose weight, I had to up my calories.
  • Bebemadison
    Options
    Its not an exact science cause there are sooo many other things that come into play like water levels and well sometimes your body can just be stubborn. I have found that MFP is more of a guide and a way to help me make better decisions in what I choose to eat. Some weeks I lose some I maintain regardless if I eat the same stuff week after week. But my scale is going down and my clothes are getting baggy so its working.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting a HRM so you can know exactly what calories you're burning. The MFP exercise database is way off on some things (for me, it was too LOW on most things, actually).

You really shouldn't go much lower than 1280 net though. 1200 net is usually the "bare minimum".

Try the HRM first and see what happens.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am skeptical of the exercise calories on here - they usually seem pretty high. My maintenance and 'loose 1lb a week' calories are the same as yours. I find if I don't exercise, but stay within my calories I loose, and if I do exercise and eat back 1/2 - 2/3 of my exercise calories I loose. If I eat back all of my calories I seem to stay the same like you. In principle I agree that eating back all your exercise calories is the way to go, but only if you can be really accurate about how much you've burnt. Clearly I need a HRM!
  • lchere
    lchere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that calorie allowance is rather high for you unless you are very young (still growing). I don't agree with adding the amounts after you exercise but you can stick to your regular count with only their little lecture. (in text). Their estimations of calories for certain activities are questionable, I think. I mow my lawn with a riding lawn mower and it is a big lawn that takes 3+ hours. The credit me with 660 calories but I don't believe it. I am just sitting on the seat, jigglling along, using not much energy at all.
  • beth651
    beth651 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I seem to maintain if I eat my exercise calories back so I try to keep it under my regular calorie that they suggest.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    MFP has worked like a charm for me.

I measure and weigh my food to be sure my portions are correct. Most people, myself included, are pretty poor at estimating serving sizes. I try my best to accurately enter exercise calories and recently bought a heart rate monitor to help estimate calorie burn. I always eat close to my daily calorie goal and eat back most of my exercise calories. My goal is 10% body fat and I am approximately 10.5% at this point. I have lost about 10 pounds while putting on quite a bit of muscle.

In being more honest with myself I did adjust what my daily activity level a few weeks after starting.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    How efficiently your metabolism burns calories can be affected by your age, gender, genetics, activity level, reproductive cycle, childhood illnesses, the altitude and humidity where you live, and how much sleep you're getting. So it's really pretty ridiculous of them to think they can provide some magic formula that will calculate "calories burned" with any accuracy for every single person. Take it as a "rough estimate" and go from there.

Personally, I almost never exercise, and I often go over the calories it says I should have, but I am still losing steadily because I've discovered that the secret for my particular metabolism is to severely limit carbs and eat at least 50g protein every 3 hrs. That's what works for me. I would never recommend that to anyone else without checking with their doctor first. But you have to figure out how your own particular body works, and that will be slightly different for everyone.
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    MFP has worked great for me. My net calories are 1200. I usually eat way more than that though because I eat at least 75% of my exercise calories. I lose weight every week as long as I log my food on here and I actually do my exercising. I love it....I do want a HRM though so I can see how it compares!