Need help determining how many calories I should be eating!

Options
Hey, I'm new to MFP and have been on a "fitness journey" since June. I am a 23 y/o female, weigh somewhere between 127-130 pounds (weigh-in isn't 'til the 7th!) and am 5'1. My goal weight is 110. I exercise every day, and do a "2-a-day" twice a week. My workouts usually consist of 45 minutes on the elliptical (high resistance & forward/reverse mode) or jogging on the treadmill for the same amount of time (if I do 2 work outs a day then it's a total of 90 mins), and I do 20-30 minutes of pilates several times a week. I believe I normally get between 350-750 cals from exercise per day.

MFP says to eat 1,200 cals/day, but then adjusts it to 1,600-some when I exercise -- does that mean that I'm supposed to eat all of my exercise calories? I'm mainly just confused as to how much I should be eating, because I don't want to go into the "starvation mode" I've heard so much about, nor do I want to gain weight. My food diary is open if you care to look at it!

THANKS! :)

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You just opened a huge can of worms, lol.

Some people want you to eat all your exercise calories, some people say just eat some, and others say none at all.

My advice would be to eat back some of them. I don't recommend all because we usually over-estimate how many we burn and under-estimate how many we eat, so there's some wiggle room already. But since you are already fairly light and looking to lose just a few pounds, you don't need a big deficit. In fact, you shouldn't have yours set at more than half a pound per week to stay healthy and prevent muscle loss from the workouts (especially since you are not weight training!).
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

This site say your should eat 2034 calories a day.

You only have 20 pounds to lose so put your weight loss at half a pound a week. Eat 75-80% of your exercice calories. Those last pounds are really hars to take off and eating less does not equal losing more. You want to make sure you do not lose muscle mass so a very small deficit is what work best

good luck
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You only have 20 pounds to lose so put your weight loss at half a pound a week. Eat 75-80% of your exercice calories.

That sounds familar, lol. :wink:
  • yanicka
    Options
    You only have 20 pounds to lose so put your weight loss at half a pound a week. Eat 75-80% of your exercice calories.

That sounds familar, lol. :wink:

LOL
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering! I guess I have a question about the net cals now -- what should that number be, then? Ahh, weight loss is such a mystery to me. I can't seem to find the perfect balance. And I'm going to start weight training in September :)
  • yanicka
    Options
    Perso I am 4'11'' 123 pounds. I eat 1350 calories plus 75% of my exercice calories. You are a bit taller and a bit younger. Start with 1500 calories maybe? I can't really tell you what will work for you.