resistance training/sculpting DVDs

Options
Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
Someone asked me a question and I don't know how to answer it for them, so I thought that I would get a bunch of answers and let them read them all, lol.

When I personally talk about resistance training or weight lifting, I am talking about picking up heavy dumbbells or barbells, using weight machines, or doing body weight exercises. (which is why this question somehow stumps me...)

I was asked if the "sculpting" videos that come in DVD sets like Turbo Jam or Brazil Butt Lift would be considered weight training. I have both of those and have done them. They both require very low weights like 5 pounds or so, and instead of doing sets of exercises like a gym, you do a bazillion reps until your muscles feel too heavy to lift the weights again.

I am tempted to say no, it's not really the same thing. But, it can't really be counted as cardio either since you are not getting your heart rate up as if you were doing a Turbo Jam cardio video or the Cardio Axe dance routine from Brazil Butt Lift. I don't think you will ever gain muscle doing those videos using itty bitty weights...but if you are trying to lose fat and retain muscle, would it count?

What are your thoughts since I am a little stumped, lol?

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    More reps with lower weight = leaner muscle (builds mostly muscle endurance)

less reps with more weight = bulkier muscle (builds more strength)

If I'm not wrong.
  • SweetToothMelissa
    SweetToothMelissa Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hmm... well let me see if I can help...

I think for sure, even though they don't get your heart rate up through the roof, they would help with losing fat, and retaining muscle, and maybe even building SOME muscle, if the person isn't in shape at all yet. I feel like it's more for toning though. When I input the exercises on here, I put them as circuit training. Not even sure if that is correct?

However, you have to think of the natural weight of your body while doing these exercises too. Doing lunges and squats will be more effective with weights, but they will still be effective without (sculpting the muscle and getting heartrate up a bit).

I've only done one workout from BBL but it got my heart rate up pretty high....not as much as the tabata work out I just did yesterday, but I was out of breath nontheless.

Anyhow....I think any kind of weights (light or heavy) and even exercises that use your own body weight would be considered resistance training, but maybe not necessarily weight training?

LOL...as you can see I'm so much help
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    So, basically you guys are saying that things like that DO count as strength training? She basically wants to know because if it does count, she's gonna do these kinds of videos instead of something like P90X that IS weight training.