Hummus = gassy stomach?

Options
Jamcnair
Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
Hey so...this may be TMI, but thought I'd ask all you well-informed people :)
I've started eating roasted red pepper hummus the past couple of days and have noticed that I've been really gassy...could that be from the hummus? I can't think of anything else I've eaten that might cause that issue...thanks!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hummus is ground chickpeas, so yup.

Hummus can be a gassy food.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It is a garbanzo bean technically. therefore It is a 'pulse' which includes beans and food of the sort which do lead to gas...
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have found that by getting the good bacteria to be prolific in the intestines using probiotics over time

really does make a difference in the overall health of the intestine, thereby greatly reducing gas and

bloat, no matter what you eat! I tend to eat very clean, raw and that idea. hope this helps. btw, dont expect

immediate results from the probiotics, it takes a few days....
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys.

Rabbit- I do eat yogurt, but thought about taking a probiotic supplement from Swanson to get a better variety. Suggestions?
  • chickpea2014
    Options
    Jamcnair, the most healthier option is to break wind when you get the urge. It is an unhealthy practice to hold wind when it prompts the system to release it. Although this seems awkward in today's society, this was the norm in ancient Rome and this is still accepted in Chinese society. The more one breaks wind, the more healthier he/she is.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yes, hummus can do it. Some folks have that issue with red pepper too.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Hummus = pureed garbanzo beans = gas. Take a Beano and enjoy your hummus!!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I was just discussing this with my FL pals the other day. I've been eating a lot of hummus this last couple of weeks. (big sale at Weis) and have had...TMI ALERT...uncontrollable gas and terrible cramping. I wasn't sure if it was my yogurt or my oatmeal or just TOM but I began to suspect hummus when I what it was made from. Hmmmm...beans. Yep that makes since. As for a probiitic suggestion, I took fish oil with omega 3+ probiotic for months (expensive and found it on sale and stocked up) but tan out and could afford that kind again but I don't remember having s much gas then when I was on a hummus kick (albeit a different brand so who knows if that's the reason). My other go to is a little less pricey but nicely effective; it is called Schiff Digestive Advantage Daily Probiitic. Good luck and remember it always better out than in.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Yes, hummus can do it. Some folks have that issue with red pepper too.

Thanks...i did not know this. My hummus has also been the red pepper. Tomorrow I'll try the garlic and see if I get gaseous.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hey so...this may be TMI, but thought I'd ask all you well-informed people :)
    I've started eating roasted red pepper hummus the past couple of days and have noticed that I've been really gassy...could that be from the hummus? I can't think of anything else I've eaten that might cause that issue...thanks!

Some people get gassy from the chick peas normal hummus is made off, some people get gassy from all kinds of peppers. I feel bad for the people who get gassy from both. Why don't you try a different kind of hummus ( maybe olive hummus ) to see how that will work for you. If you are ok, you know it's the peppers, if not, it's the chick peas.
    Good Luck !
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    chickpeas are one of the foods my body cannot tolerate. The are on the high fodmaps list.