compliment or insult? what's your take?

Options
I have never been one to get mad over things people say however.....
today I was shopping in a clothing store with my two kids when I ran into
a woman I used to work with. I spoke to her and asked how she was doing.
She said fine and then went on to say "what are you doing?"
I thought she was being friendly and asking me what I have been up to....uh NO.
She continued with............."are you starving yourself to death?, you are skinny as a rail."

Keep in mind last time I seen this woman I weighed close to 200 pounds and currently
I am at 134. However I felt like slapping her. I told her NO I am NOT starving myself I am
exercising and eating alot healthier.

I get so disgusted. I wish people would realize you don't have to starve to get yourself in better shape.
It just takes ALOT of effort. Its a lifestyle change. I have lost 49 pounds since January of this year and I must say
I am very proud of myself. I haven't taken any diet pill, starved myself or done anything stupid to get to where I am
at. I have only put in ALOT of time and effort to make myself healthy.

I do think it is somewhat funny when someone ask "how are you losing all that weight?"
People think you can just sum it up in one or two minutes. NOT!!!
It can't be done. Its not just one thing that I do, its a combination of things.
It doesn't happen overnight but you have to realize it took a while to put the weight on and
it's gonna take a while to get it off.....

That being said....
I am happy with my weight loss journey!
My original weight loss goal was 130, but being at 134 right now,
I may change my goal to a little less than 130,
I will figure it out when I get there......

Best of wishes to the rest of you on your journey~~~

Replies

• SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You go girl! Take it as a compliment, even though it was said in a classless way. You've earned your health and it just sounds like she doesn't realize what a big accomplishment that is for you. Keep rockin!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    snarky = jealous usually!! lol backhanded compliments are easy to come by and hurt sometimes but you are doing great!!! Dont let that bother you.
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been up and down the scale several times - each time I get "down" I too get that attitude. What I have decided is this - they get JEALOUS.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'd definately take it as a compliment although it doesn't sound like she worded it as one! She's just jealous. You are doing a fabulous job girl and I agree it takes hard work and a good healthy lifestyle change to stick with it. You go girl:):)
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    She's just jealous. F her.
  • Nikki_GodzPrincess
    Options
    I think the way it was phrased is an insult. However I tend to pull the good out of things like that so pull the good from it. She noticed & is probably jealous. She was probably thinking omg she lost a lot of weight & didn't phrase it properly. I woulda said "I know I look goooooood right? Who knew diet & exercise can make you look this fabulous after 2 kids" & walked away lol but then again thats me LOL. Dont let it get to you or upset you. You look good & just keep moving forward.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I can see how that would make you mad, it was very rude of her. BUT take it as a compliment, all that effort and hard work is certainly paying off. When I feel off the wagon with the healthy eating and exercise and a friend noticed she said to me "Good you're finished with that crazy diet you were on." Healthy eating and exercise isn't some "diet" that's "crazy", it's the right way to do things. And congratulations, losing almost 50lbs well done indeed!!
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    First off congratulations on your accomplishments and your journey. I would say take it as a compliment. Some people don't know how to talk to people. If you feel good about yourself, then forget about any offensive comments. Just walk away and brush your shoulder off.
  • Rebjones612
    Options
    I thank you all for such kind words.
    It really makes me feel alot better about the whole situation.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    hhhmmm.... I'm sure she didnt mean it as an insult, but maybe was slightly jealous and had to try to make your positive a negative? weird, I know. Its like all those people who say to me "how come you are so careful about what you eat and count your calories, your so thin already". I dont get that....I'm thin because I watch what I eat and count calories. I would never say to someone "How come you are eating that large greasy bacon cheesurger and fries, your fat already!"
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    hmmmm......I would love to be called "skinny as a rail" and I would take it as a compliment and not care if it was intended as one or not :-)
  • akninsas
    akninsas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    At times people can just be rude. Whether she was trying to compliment you or not, just remember that you are doing an amazing job and have a huge accomplishment to be proud of.
  • nextrightthing
    Options
    hhhmmm.... I'm sure she didnt mean it as an insult, but maybe was slightly jealous and had to try to make your positive a negative? weird, I know. Its like all those people who say to me "how come you are so careful about what you eat and count your calories, your so thin already". I dont get that....I'm thin because I watch what I eat and count calories. I would never say to someone "How come you are eating that large greasy bacon cheesurger and fries, your fat already!"
  • Rebjones612
    Options
    lol....to your last sentence that's too funny!
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Lol, don't matter what she says....as long as you are happy with yourself and what you have accomplish. Ppl are always going to say something to bring you down, keep your head up, and shake them haterz off!!!
  • nextrightthing
    Options
    I loved what you wouldn't say to a heavy person eating a greasy bacon cheeseburger: ha, ha

my quote thing isn't working......
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    lol....its true though, isnt it???
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I got hurt by a word one time. Well, actually it was a bunch of words.. I gues, technically, you could say it was a book. Yup, coach said if I didn't shut up, he'd hit me with another one. He wasn't kidding. I never did know when to quit.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take it as a compliment. I don't think it's meant in a rude or offensive way, though of course none of us were there to hear how it was said. You have lost a lost of weight in a rather short amount of time, and time has a way of seeming even quicker at times, particularly when seeing someone you haven't seen in a while. And since she didn't see the weight gradually come off, the change is even more drastic to her. She is probably just amazed at how well you have done, and when you see someone lose a lot of weight quickly, you tend to think there is something else going on besides just diet and exercise. Or at least those who haven't put in the work themselves may tend to think that.
    Enjoy your success, girl! You've done great!!