Need some advise

Options
Hi everyone!!
So...I've had this problem ever since I can remember. My parents would always tell me it was just growing pains, but now I'm 23 and I'm pretty sure I'm not growing anymore!! My bones hurt every once in a while! Especially in my joints, like my elbows, wrists, and sometimes in my knees. It happens mostly when I'm really active. But not today, I don't feel like I did anything out of the ordinary, but it's happening again. Am I lacking something in my diet? Will this go away when I lose weight and become more fit?? Should I go see a doctor? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I meant *Advice*
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi everyone!!
    So...I've had this problem ever since I can remember. My parents would always tell me it was just growing pains, but now I'm 23 and I'm pretty sure I'm not growing anymore!! My bones hurt every once in a while! Especially in my joints, like my elbows, wrists, and sometimes in my knees. It happens mostly when I'm really active. But not today, I don't feel like I did anything out of the ordinary, but it's happening again. Am I lacking something in my diet? Will this go away when I lose weight and become more fit?? Should I go see a doctor? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :flowerforyou:

If you do it when you exercise, it could be you aren't doing the technique properly. Also, there are a few things that can affect joints. First, the weather, especially when it's a dreary day. The lower barometric pressure can stress joints. I know this because everytime it start to drop, my knees kill (i tore my ACL). Also, weight. The heavier you are, the more pressure you put on joints and legiments. I have noticed as I lost weight and more importantly, gained muscle, my joints started to hurt less. When there isn't enough muscle to support, the stress goes to your legiments or at least according to my orthopedic doctor. This is another reason why stregnth training is so important. As you build up muscle, less and less stress with be transferred to your joints.

Good luck.
  • BeeMarieG
    BeeMarieG Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, and I'm not saying you do, but I would advise that if you have any sort of chronic, widespread pain, especially without rhyme or reason (like when you haven't been especially active) you may want to keep a journal and jot down your pain symptoms and when they occur, etc. At some point, you may mention it to your doctor if it doesn't improve.

On a practical, right-now sort of level, are you drinking enough water? Mild dehydration might be a factor... or maybe some kind of vitamin deficiency? I'm throwing out possibilities. :) Either way, so sorry! What a pain! (literally...)
  • AudgePaudge
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

If you do it when you exercise, it could be you aren't doing the technique properly. Also, there are a few things that can affect joints. First, the weather, especially when it's a dreary day. The lower barometric pressure can stress joints. I know this because everytime it start to drop, my knees kill (i tore my ACL). Also, weight. The heavier you are, the more pressure you put on joints and legiments. I have noticed as I lost weight and more importantly, gained muscle, my joints started to hurt less. When there isn't enough muscle to support, the stress goes to your legiments or at least according to my orthopedic doctor. This is another reason why stregnth training is so important. As you build up muscle, less and less stress with be transferred to your joints.

Good luck.

Thanks :) I have a big feeling it is my weight and the fact I have always been overweight. I've been doing a lot of strength training in the past month, and have also shed a lot of weight in the last month. I'm hoping it will get better.
  • AudgePaudge
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, and I'm not saying you do, but I would advise that if you have any sort of chronic, widespread pain, especially without rhyme or reason (like when you haven't been especially active) you may want to keep a journal and jot down your pain symptoms and when they occur, etc. At some point, you may mention it to your doctor if it doesn't improve.

On a practical, right-now sort of level, are you drinking enough water? Mild dehydration might be a factor... or maybe some kind of vitamin deficiency? I'm throwing out possibilities. :) Either way, so sorry! What a pain! (literally...)

That's a good idea, I will definitely keep track of how often it's happening. I have been drinking my eight glasses of water a day, I skipped out on my vitamins yesterday so maybe...Thanks for your help :)