Is too much good fat bad for you?

Options
I've always wondered this. I'm guessing that the extra fat would just be stored in your body, but does it do any other harm besides that? Like to your triglycerides, cholesterol etc?

Replies

• KourtneyP83
    Options
    I'm wondering this too - nuts have a ton of fat in them and it made me go over one day!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    The danger is going over your calories, beyond that I don't know of any problem.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I don't know. I was just reading about the Mediteranean diet which has your calories as 38% from fat a day, 24% of which is from monounsaturated fat (good fat).
  • vulrich93
    Options
    Yeah, I've always limited my nut intake (ha except for today, go figure) and not to go over 1/4 of a cup per day. I even tried googling it and I didn't find anything. I'll ask my supervisor tomorrow! :)

Thanks.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's kind of in your question... "too much" of anything isn't very good for you, BUT where is 'too much" I know some folks doing 65% of their daily calories from "healthy" fats, they're still losing weight as they follow their calorie goals but it's certainly not for me. As my 35% protein isn't for some people :)
  • bgmunoz
    bgmunoz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good fAts are good for you. They actually help carry bad fats out into ur bld streAm and use as energy. Reason u want a higher hdl levels and lower LDL levels. Good fAts are nuts, avocado. Olive oil, conola oil, lean meats, omega fats (reason ppl who take omega oil tabs tend to have less belly fat), fish ESP salmon. All yummy, all high cal all good for u.
  • vulrich93
    Options
    I know what good fats are, and where too get them. I'm just wondering if too much of the good fats would put any risk to your health.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Too much of anything is not good for you, hence the phrase “too much” meaning in excess. That being said, you should be getting around 20-30% of your daily calories from fat; eating fat will not make you fat. Also, the stigma around saturated fat, the so-called bad fat, is completely misplaced. Since I started eating more saturated fats, my cholesterol and triglycerides are better than they have ever been. There are numerous studies that have also found this exact same effect with saturated fats.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I had a question similar to your and you know that there's difference between mono and polyunsaturated fats, etc.
    You can't really expect to get a good understanding on this topic in a short answer (aka here).
    I bought this book and it has a good and easy to understand answer to what fat (good and bad) does to the body, and how it affects the liver, kidneys, fat cells, fat in the blood, etc.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/what-state-do-you-live-in-jerrod-p-libonati-ms-rd/1030778737?ean=9781456740948&itm=2&usri=state+you+live+in

And I used to think that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, but they've done experiments on monkeys who ate the same amount of calories from different sources and guess what? the ones eating junk did develop a fatty belly. read that here http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9318-why-fast-foods-are-bad-even-in-moderation.html

Like I said keep your mind open to new understandings since not even the scientist seem to know for sure. And the best thing to do is to stick to what you've proven by yourself to be healthy. e.g. fruits, veggies and lean meat.