Indoor Bike Exercise Trainer?

Options
Has anyone used one of these? What's a good brand? And does anyone know where I can get one at a reasonable price?

I am thinking of purchasing one because the weather is getting super cold here, almost unbearable :grumble: and I can't afford to go to a nice warm gym right now, so it seems like a nice solution! I would love to get a treadmill or something, but they are out of my budget right now.

Any help would be appreciated!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used one of these? What's a good brand? And does anyone know where I can get one at a reasonable price?

I am thinking of purchasing one because the weather is getting super cold here, almost unbearable :grumble: and I can't afford to go to a nice warm gym right now, so it seems like a nice solution! I would love to get a treadmill or something, but they are out of my budget right now.

Any help would be appreciated!! :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Check want ads - seems to be lots of people who move to other equipment or give up on what they have.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I just bought one and I love mine. I got it from amazon, here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AAYBWS

It comes fully assembled and it's not TOO heavy (not light, but I can move it around by myself). It is $80 but you can get free shipping and I used the Bill Me Later option to save $10.00. I do reccomend you get a slick road tire though as the knobby mountain bike tire is quite noisy (if you currently have knobby tires), I would compare the sound to a shop vac. Not bad if you have a house, but in my apartment I was very scared of getting noise complaints. My new tire cut the noise down a lot, still makes a buzzing sound but not loud enough to disturb anyone.

They also sell blocks for under your front tire to even the bike out, but it really doesn't put you up that much higher without anything, and if you do want something I just use a thick book or even those "moving men" disks work pretty well. They do sell much more expensive and better quality ones, but for the money and for just being an amateur bike rider, I am very happy with the quality.

I love mine, I just pop in an episode of my favorite show and watch while I ride. It's way cheaper than a gym for the winter and can be done in the comfort of your own home.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    I will definitely check that link out!! And I'm glad to hear someone has one and loves it!! I am not a runner AT ALL so I figured biking would be a great alternative :wink: And I am living in a house right now, and plan on putting the bike on the indoor porch, so the noise shouldn't be a problem *I hope*!!

Thanks for the advice!!
    I just bought one and I love mine. I got it from amazon, here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AAYBWS

It comes fully assembled and it's not TOO heavy (not light, but I can move it around by myself). It is $80 but you can get free shipping and I used the Bill Me Later option to save $10.00. I do reccomend you get a slick road tire though as the knobby mountain bike tire is quite noisy (if you currently have knobby tires), I would compare the sound to a shop vac. Not bad if you have a house, but in my apartment I was very scared of getting noise complaints. My new tire cut the noise down a lot, still makes a buzzing sound but not loud enough to disturb anyone.

They also sell blocks for under your front tire to even the bike out, but it really doesn't put you up that much higher without anything, and if you do want something I just use a thick book or even those "moving men" disks work pretty well. They do sell much more expensive and better quality ones, but for the money and for just being an amateur bike rider, I am very happy with the quality.

I love mine, I just pop in an episode of my favorite show and watch while I ride. It's way cheaper than a gym for the winter and can be done in the comfort of your own home.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Thank you, I will check the ads in the paper too!! :smile:
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Try craigslist.com
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Try craigslist.com
    Will do!! Thx!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You can get one of the floor models at The Sports Authority for a discount. Already assembled.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    another thought / idea for you. If yu used 100 as your budget maybe you can look at one of the gyms around you. I have seen many discussions where the membership is $20/month. That would work out to 5 months in the warm gym and by that time winter is over. :tongue:

good luck. :drinker:
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    You can get one of the floor models at The Sports Authority for a discount. Already assembled.
    I don't have a Sports Authority near by, but thanks for the suggestion!!:flowerforyou:
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    another thought / idea for you. If yu used 100 as your budget maybe you can look at one of the gyms around you. I have seen many discussions where the membership is $20/month. That would work out to 5 months in the warm gym and by that time winter is over. :tongue:

good luck. :drinker:

That does make sense, but my mother is willing to pitch in on this bike trainer, because she wants to use it too! And I live pretty far away from the gym, so I think it would be better to have a method of cardio at home, in case I get snowed in :grumble:
    Not to mention, I didn't think of it, but my friend has a membership, and she is allowed to bring a guest for free :glasses: So I could take her up on that if I ever get tired of just biking!

Thanks though!! :drinker:
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've got a cycleops fluid trainer and I really like it. It's not too loud either. It's about $300 brand new and has a lifetime warranty.

I would try some of the discount sports gear websites. they usually have older models on discount and may even have free shipping.
  • rlh0614
    rlh0614 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have one from a company called minoura - start on ebay and amazon.... I LOVE mine... Use it every single day for at least 30 - 45 minutes. Depending on if I combine with another cardio machine. It keeps your butt conditioned! If you ride you know what I am talkin about! I am doing the MS bike ride in 2009 and I am sooo excited. I am trying to tackle being a runner, but my heart is on the bike. :drinker:

Mine was under 200 about a year ago... look for last year's model - that is the best way to save money... My boyfriend got it for me and he is most anal person on the planet about reading reviews and finding the deal.