Question for the ladies about PMS and hunger ++

Options
carlxo21
carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
I notice that during PMS I feel extra hungry. I can eat 400 cals more than my daily allowance and still have a rumbling stomach. I'm wondering if my body is needing extra nutrients or anything specific? You can check out my diary for today as an example. I was just hungry hungry hungry today! Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism speeds up during that TOM ... in theory if you were to stick to your guns and stay within your calories you have the advantage of losing more. However, most don't because they are so hungry and have a lot of cravings. During TOM you need to drink more water and increase your iron.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It's my TOM now, and if anything, I do also have that crave to want to continue eating. Right now I REALLY want a bowl of my frozen yogurt.
    But thankfully I have awesome willpower! I will just get a bowl tomorrow. >_>
  • Pistolcoach
    Pistolcoach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    YEP. good ole' Aunt Flow makes you want to eat everything within arms reach! LOL as the person above said...drink lots of water and eat more iron :O) (and maybe eat a few more calories)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fiber

How much? 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight and 26 grams of fiber per day. You won't be hungry. :) And they will help you be lean. BONUS!!!
  • laureneva15
    Options
    Do not even get me started with my cravings when I'm PMSing, I am not looking forward ot being pregnant if I'm this bad now :noway:
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I call it voracious-ravenousitis. For me, high protein and low fat seems to work, so I LOVE greek yogurt especially during TOM.
  • change_happens
    Options
    Your metabolism speeds up during that TOM ... in theory if you were to stick to your guns and stay within your calories you have the advantage of losing more. However, most don't because they are so hungry and have a lot of cravings. During TOM you need to drink more water and increase your iron.

This is quite interesting. I wondered why I would lose an effortless pound or two afterward. Thanks for sharing that tidit. Something else for me to hop online and research. :-)
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am the same too. I feel extra hungry too. I tend to sobatage my diet during my TOM if I don't watch out.
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    The way i see it is, your body is going through some pretty crazy *kitten* when TOM comes to visit. When TOM's here i tend to just listen to my body and give her everything she asks for.. She's not usually constantly craving naughty stuff, but she knows better than i do what she needs at that time, and if i deprive her i just become a cranky and foul *kitten*. I just try to make better choices, but that is the one time in the month that i'm allowed chocolate :)

That time of month, let the girl eat!!!
  • change_happens
    Options
    PMS cravings are related to the boost in metabolism before your period.

True. If there is a silver lining to PMS, it's that your resting metabolic rate may increase the day after ovulation to the first day of your period. The metabolic boost you get from being "hormonal" can equal as much as 300 calories a day which is why your appetite increases during this phase.
    Tip Keep a journal of what you eat the week before and the weeks after your period. Try to maintain your eating pattern over the course of the month so that you can take advantage of this hormone driven calorie burn. If you give in to cravings, make sure that you keep portions in check.

taken from globalhealthandfitness.com
  • annmrie
    annmrie Posts: 38
    Options
    PMS cravings are related to the boost in metabolism before your period.

True. If there is a silver lining to PMS, it's that your resting metabolic rate may increase the day after ovulation to the first day of your period. The metabolic boost you get from being "hormonal" can equal as much as 300 calories a day which is why your appetite increases during this phase.
    Tip Keep a journal of what you eat the week before and the weeks after your period. Try to maintain your eating pattern over the course of the month so that you can take advantage of this hormone driven calorie burn. If you give in to cravings, make sure that you keep portions in check.

taken from globalhealthandfitness.com

It's interesting to hear that the metabolic boost is during the days LEADING UP TO the TOM. I've noticed with myself that those days beforehand are when the true cravings come, not when I'm actually on my period (aside from a slight red meat [iron] craving during the TOM). I always wondered why. Thank you for that factual tid-bit.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    There is a theory that the common PMS response of increased appetite with cravings for carbohydrates may be caused by low serotonin levels. The theory is that when serotonin levels are low, the brain signals the body to eat carbohydrates, which in turn stimulates the production of serotonin from its naturally occurring amino acid "building block."
  • xMissAprilx
    xMissAprilx Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately, if I'm exercising at all I am 90% of the time on my period. I don't know why, my doctor doesn't either. He said most likely its because I am so overweight and it might stop doing that once I lose a considerate amount. Hopefully that works. It just sucks having to push through with all the cramping and whatnot. :( But I CAN do it! :)
  • PeytonSwan
    PeytonSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What can I say... two muffins and nature yoghurt for Breakfast :D:D... dunno how it's going to be for lunch Oo I just try to drink a lot..
  • Scoobydooo62
    Options
    I love your A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E.....:heart: