empty-nester in 40's

Options
Hi~

Using MFP for 3 weeks now and really loving it. I am learning so much about by caloric consumption and exercise, or lack of actually lol! I started with 70 pounds to lose, now down to 64 lbs, yay!

I steadily gained the weight over the past 23 years. Now, I am 42 (and divorced for some time). My daughter is off at college out of state, and I am trying to learn to cook healthy for one. I had been using low-calorie frozen foods, but my when my brother visited and was horrified at the amount of processed foods in my freezer, it was time to re-think that strategy.

The comments about the post-40 metabolism challenge are daunting. Just getting my body moving again is a real issue. I work at a desk all day in a high-stress job with long hours, so I bought the Wii fitness package to try to make exercise like playtime :-)

There are heart and diabetes related health issues in my family that I want to avoid. And I sure do not want to hear an earful again from my tenacious (and well-meaning) doctor on September 30th! And of course, I want to look hot ;-)

It would be great to connect with other 40-something singles who struggle with cooking, dining out, finding motivation to exercise, and dealing with get-togethers with friends that usually involve high calorie temptations, like alcoholic beverages lol!

Meanwhile, I want to thank everyone for all they share to inspire others, especially for newbies like me :)

~Roxane

Replies

• watcherII
    watcherII Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hello! i'm a 45 yr old single mom of 2, with a half empty nest, lol. but our stories are very similar, and i think we can motivate each other, so feel free to add me! :)
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Hey there Roxane!! I also have unhealthy get togethers, I just try to bring something that is healthy but they dont know it.My family usually asks for my recipes. Im 35 with 4 kids (oldest is a seniro this year) and I would love to help you if I can. All I ask is for support in return....add me if u like :)
  • shazzamax11
    Options
    Hi

I'm 42, would love some friends to motivate me.

Shaz
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shaz! Feel free to add me as a friend, and we can motivate each other :-)
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi Misty~

One of those get-togethers happening today, and I took your advice...

I volunteered to bring a side dish (that includes low-fat ingredients and lots of veggies). This way there will be food that I can enjoy with others, while not damaging my caloric plan.

Thanks for the idea!

~Roxane