c25k programme really works!

isaukco
isaukco Posts: 28
edited September 30 in Success Stories
c25k week 6 day 3 completed!!!
Wow, that means I ran a total of 25 minutes non-stop today. Unbelievable! :)

However, I am still 1 mile short of 3 miles!! So technically when I finish the programme I wont be running 5k but still to be ruuning 30 minutes is acheivement enough for me, and I plan to continue with the jogging once I have finished the programme. Perhaps after a month or so move onto the 10k programme!

Replies

• weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    That really is amazing! Congratulations - there's nothing like the sense of achievement that comes with passing a personal goal!
    I'm doing week 7 day 1 later today. I only managed about 4k on Monday when I did week 6 day 3 but I'm thinking there's still 3 weeks of the programme left as long as I have my stamina to run 25-30mins there's plenty of time to work on speed.

I'm not sure of the 10k yet thought!

Congratulations again
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    Keep it up!!

I don't do the program, but it works for just about everyone who uses it! Don't worry about the distance and time, that will come! I've been running for about 3 months and still can't run 3.1 miles in 30 minutes.....but I can run for what seems like forever at my own pace! Last long distance I did was 1:25:27 in one go.

So you WILL get there! Keep it up!!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    I tried to do it, got to day 2 and started to get knee pain, so I stopped, cause knee injuries terrify me after seeing my sister go through an ACL operation. Did you guys run through the pain, or did you never get it?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Yup, it really works! I started C25K in January and now I'm training for a 12k race in 4 weeks time.
    I still run slowly, but I can live with that, I'm working on endurance for now.

Wonnder, I did get knee pain - only a little bit initially so I ignored it, but at Easter time it was really bad so I took myself to the doctor and physio and was back running after a few weeks of treatment. Now I'm fine, I can feel it occasionally but no big problems.
  • isaukco
    I tried to do it, got to day 2 and started to get knee pain, so I stopped, cause knee injuries terrify me after seeing my sister go through an ACL operation. Did you guys run through the pain, or did you never get it?
  • isaukco
    I got knee pain once, but ran through it, I dont get it anymore. Perhaps try running on grass? or maybe you have a track nearby that you could run on?
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    It works wonders with endurance, being able to do this, and weight loss all together! it's the most addictive healthy exersice that i wanna do all the time! i have NEVER been happier!!!!
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Hi where do I find this programme, sounds interesting...
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Hi
    Just search on C25K online and it will come up with one of a number of sites that explain it. This one is the one I used:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    You can get an app for your iphone or android too. That helps a lot.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Hi
    Just search on C25K online and it will come up with one of a number of sites that explain it. This one is the one I used:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    You can get an app for your iphone or android too. That helps a lot.

I use the free podcast from the nhs. And love it (okay, like it well enough to listen to it 3x a week?)
  • BobsySpud
    BobsySpud Posts: 29 Member
    Another huge fan of c25k here too! My sister in law and i have just graduated this at weekend, actually managing to run the full 5km on our last run in just under 39mins. We're not fast, but still overjoyed at our achievement! We're starting on bridge to 10k tonight as we're both addicted now!!
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member

hey wonnder1 I started jogging when i was about 220ish pounds. I got knee pain so i stopped for a while adn went back to walking. After losing a bit I started again and no real big probs now. Just minor twinges
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member

hey wonnder1 I started jogging when i was about 220ish pounds. I got knee pain so i stopped for a while adn went back to walking. After losing a bit I started again and no real big probs now. Just minor twinges
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Thats fantastic well done!!! I've just finished week 2.... nervous about next week. Well done on running 25min, thats amazing!
  • zimzim23
    zimzim23 Posts: 43 Member
    Wonnder- the cost sucks but get decent shoes hopefully somewhere that can tell you what kind you need and fit you. I have weird knees so I was worried about doing C25K but good shoes really helped! Some days my knees are a bit stiff, but not too bad!
  • niallse
    niallse Posts: 58
    Keep going at it. I finished c25k in March. Now running 10k regularly, finished my first 10 miler on Monday, have joined a running club, and training for the Windsor half marathon. Believe me, I'm not a natural runner, and certainly would not have achieved anything without MFP and C25K.

You will get there, just believe :-)
  • csch79
    csch79 Posts: 37 Member
    I am just starting the program again. I do week 2 day 2 tonight. I've tried it in the past but got bored with the podcasts. I finally downloaded the app for my iphone and that has made a huge difference for me. Being able to use my own music but still get prompts for when to walk and run is great. It also keeps a log so I can go back and track my distance and speed.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    I'm on Week 4 and am struggling with the 5 minute run. I'm on day 3 and did not get the 5 minutes done successfully today. I'm beginning to wonder how long it will take me to get where you are. I just can't imagine running 20 minutes without stopping. But I'm not giving up. I will just keep going with week 4 until I get it!!
  • Gaia85
    Gaia85 Posts: 190 Member
    Congratulations! I'm on week 5, day 2, so about to run my first 8-min stretch but I'm really worried about the 20-min run on Saturday. Did anyone find that run particularly difficult?
  • I'm on week 6 day 3 (I'm all set to do it on Friday since I did day 2 yesterday) of the C25k program and Im psyched at my progress! I have NEVER been a runner and I feel like I am now. Its all very exciting. I'm really not fast at all but I do my best. And now that the C25k app on my phone has some new updates it allows me to continue my running after the "program" is finished so I've finally gotten an accurate time on my 3 mile loop around my house (Chock full of hills btw...Its kind of scary but I push through it) and I'm at 47 min for 3 miles which is pretty awesome I think for someone who said they "can't run and never will be able to" multiple times throughout their life.

My first 5k race is in September right after I turn 30! Only one more month to go!! I'm cutting it a bit close but I KNOW I can do it!!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Keep it up! I did the C25k 2 years ago and I am now training for my SECOND half marathon!! I love it! :)
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    I just finished week 6 run 2. I am very slow though, I hope I can get faster!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Yay for all of you guys! I just finished Week 3 day 2 and absolutely enjoy it. I can keep up 6 mph run on the treadmill for 3 minutes! I'm not sure about 5 minutes. We shall see lol.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Congrats on making it through the 25 minutes!! I just started week 8 today and ended up running 3.5 miles. I can't believe how far I've come in such a short time. And how much I'm enjoying it. It's an amazing program!
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    I can't say enough good things about C25K. I first did it back in 2007 and within the year ran a 5K, then a 10K, then a half and then a full marathon. It completely turned me into a runner. Then I got pregnant and stopped running and gained a lot of weight. While trying to lose that weight I started C25K again since I missed running, got halfway through, and then had to stop when I broke my foot (not broken while running) and got pregnant with my second. Now I'm going through it for the third time and will do Week 4 Day 3 tomorrow so I have my big 20 minute run in a week, but I did it once, I know I can do it again.

For those of you who are struggling with completing your runs, try going slower. It's more important to finish the time than the speed. Sure, if you go slower than a 10 minute mile (like I do) you will not quite be to a 5K distance at the end of the program, but keep adding more time once you're done and you'll be there in no time.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    For those of you who are struggling with completing your runs, try going slower. It's more important to finish the time than the speed. Sure, if you go slower than a 10 minute mile (like I do) you will not quite be to a 5K distance at the end of the program, but keep adding more time once you're done and you'll be there in no time.

:flowerforyou: One of my favorite sayings is "It doesn't matter how fast you get there, you just have to go" I was considerably slower when I first started out, by at least 3min per mile. Once you have the distance and the time in, then you can work on your speed :)
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Never been a runner, but I am doing Week 8, Day 3 on Friday. For those of you who are struggling, hang in there. It does get easier and you will be amazed when you complete each week.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    CONGRATS on your 25 minutes! woohooo!!!

I just completed Week 1 Day 3 and I was amazed I actually got through it. Felt extremely exhausted but accomplished I had completed the walk/jog. I might have to repeat days though until I feel comfy enough to move to the next level. I'm looking forward to the next walk/jog

I was scared of the knee pain as well but I think that perhaps having lost 30+ lbs has helped somewhat because I haven't gotten pain just slight discomfort. I was told by my runner friend that if there is pain afterwards you should refrain from running for a couple of days until the knee gets better.

BTW - I never knew running would leave my body sore from head to toe! Great workout.
  • danibee79
    danibee79 Posts: 144 Member
    Hi all! I completed week 3 day 3 today and I love it! I am actually doing weekly 5k runs with my local parkrun. Check out this link there might be one by you - WWW.parkrun.com I use this training to concentrate on my stride and stamina. Keep up the hard work everyone, you're doing great!
  • Love it, love it, love it! Good luck to all who are doing it and Congrats to all who have already! I can't say enough positive things about the program!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!